CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default front end questions

Hello I have an 81 shovel that I bought in an aftermarket frame and I'm going to be putting everything back into a Harley frame. Now I just have a question about what to look for in a front end. I know that in order to get the right trail I have to look for the right length forks and I know that I want a mid glide but is there anything else that I should look for to ensure that I get a front end that fits the frame I have? I've been looking at front ends on ebay and I see that this front end will fit certain years or that front end will fit other years and this is where I'm getting a little confused. Is there a difference in what will fit certain necks? Thank you and have a good safe Christmas
    Last edited by TimB1640; 12-24-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

someone give me a little help here? please?

Get Adobe Flash player

Impatient much? Im sure not many people are even logged on during the holidays.

1" stem is what you need for a shovel frame. Can't tell you any more without knowing what wheels, brakes, etc you're running. We're helpful folks, but not mind readers.

Get Adobe Flash player

are they all 1" stems? are the stems all the same length? that's pretty much what I'm trying to find out. ps I do know everyone here is very helpful and good people. thank you

Get Adobe Flash player

The stock forks and front brakes are shit (mostly the brakes, but the wheel and fork sliders severely limit caliper options.

Smart move is fit a late 39mm front end. They look better too. Later Sportsters have 1" stems as well as big twins. I'd go for dual discs since big twins aren't light. Stock single piston calipers are still shit (I had dual discs on my 1988 FXR from new) but adapters are available for the 39mm (not the Shovel 35mm) sliders to take four piston Harley calipers. Later dual disc 39mm front ends take four-piston calipers without needing adapters.

I run dual discs on my Evo FXRs and will eventually hang 39mm front ends on my Shovels. I'll just weld an external fork stop to the neck (basically a thick tab, I just added one to my Ironhead) but IIRC they make suitable internal stop kits.

There's plenty of 39mm front end info on Chop Cult.. I scored two dual disc front ends at swap meets for 150 and 200 without calipers. I'd get a matching wheel for convenience. There are plenty of choices thanks to people chopping Sportsters.

What does you title say? Title passes with frame on those years.

Where is your frame VIN stamped?
    Last edited by farmall; 12-26-2017 at 6:16 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TimB1640 View Post
    are they all 1" stems? are the stems all the same length? that's pretty much what I'm trying to find out. ps I do know everyone here is very helpful and good people. thank you
    No, some early sportster front ends are 7/8". Stay away from those. Mostly the 33.4" or mayyyyybe early 35mm stuff but I cant say for certain. If its an HD front end, it will be the same length stem. You say you want a mid glide. Not many options for that out there. Farmall has the right idea. 39mm FX front end is by far the most popular narrow glide front end, easiest to take apart and service, find parts for, etc. BUT even then, there are many differences in wheels, axles, brakes, etc so do some looking online, all the info you want is out there.

Share This