CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread: 1979 Shovelhead

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 1979 Shovelhead

So I finally bought myself a shovelhead, its already been hardtailed and has an open belt drive. however, it has some issues right off the bat that I'm going to have to address before its road ready.

Here's some pics to start off the thread -

Get Adobe Flash player

Some of the issues i've noticed right away:

The bike has horrible exhaust leaks, i can feel the air leaking out while its running from both exhaust ports at the heads. Anyone have suggestions on gaskets for sealing these up? Saw a recommendation to use / stretch evo exhaust gaskets?

They didnt put a proper petcock on...instead it has a plumbing style 3 position valve in the fuel line....the carb also isnt sealed at the line and leaks horribly. its a super e carb. whenever the bike is running and i crack on the throttle it feels like it wont return to idle very quickly, not sure whats causing it to stay running at higher rpm after you crack the throttle, maybe thats related to the exhaust leak?

the seat and fender mounts are both broken and will need to be redone.

it looks like they were fucking jb welded bolts or something. the frame has a cross post behind the oil tank i can probably drill through to mount the fender to with two bolts. a lot of the hardware on this bike seems hastily thrown together and not very quality. like the gas tank has two different bolt types and the exhaust studs are two different types of bolts as well (allen and hex...)

The rear juice drum has ZERO pressure and is not working at all. Not sure where to start troubleshooting this one. Even after pumping it ~100 times i cant get any brake pressure in it. Its using a modern style master cylinder setup with a braided line with no pressure light switch between the mc and the brake itself. i'll need to add one to add a brake light, does anyone have a suggestion on what to use?

Ideally i'd like to bring the forward controls to mid controls , or high mids. anyone have suggestions on mids they are using?

I'm new to shovelheads, but coming from experience with ironheads.

Get Adobe Flash player

That is a sweet, sweet start to a project that isn't too involved!

I would say if the exhaust seals are that fucked then the intake is probably not too good, which may explain your carb situation as well, though the leaky fuel line and exhaust leaks are not helping I'm sure. Another simple solution may just be a gunked up throttle cable that is hanging up.

For your brake light, I would recommend this guy:

Woodcraft Brake Light Switch

If you can just suss out what size your banjo is that can replace it. I've used it before and it's super clean and simple.

As for high mids (the tightest look in my opinion) Maindrive Cycles makes a whole kit:

FRISCO MID CONTROLS

That said, it wouldn't be hard to go off his design and make a less polished version of the same system yourself.

Hope that helps!

Get Adobe Flash player

That's a damn nice looking start... Take your time, do it right and it will be a reliable bike for many years...

Get Adobe Flash player

Rad bike. Are you set on the juice drum? I ran a brakeless front end with a 2000+ softail caliper in the back, much better set up and stopping power. I'd make sure the pipes are not connected to the frame in a way thats pulling them away from the heads. Also the EVO ones would be a good solution but ya gotta stretch them a bit. Also make sure you have a proper carb support and all your intake seals are spot on too. Looks fun!

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks for the replies guys, didnt have too much of a chance to work on it but i did order some parts. gonna be swapping it over to a dyna s ignition system, done that on my ironhead before should be easy.

Anyone know how i should bleed the brakes on the rear drum? I dont really see a nipple to loosen to attach a bleeder to like i would on a regular caliper. i tried googling but didnt find much on how to bleed it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Can you post a pic of your juice set up? Best thing to do is find out what year you have and get the manual. I'm running a 63-66 rear juice set up. It was a pain in the ass to get set sorted but now it works great.

At first I tried bleeding it, cleaning it and changed a few parts and nothing would help. I finally brought it to a local clutch shop and they machined my drum and relined my shoes to fit. 80$ and it stops better than my softail caliper with disc I was running before.

Get Adobe Flash player

ill try to get some detail pics up here this afternoon, i ordered a new MC and mid control setup -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HardDrive-R...72.m2749.l2649

im going to try to get mid controls setup on the bike. i think those two parts will work in conjunction, im just not super familiar with what small parts i will need to connect the brake lever connector to the mc, but based on the parts catalog these are the correct parts...then i will need to get a t junction and new brake lines. im open to suggestions for parts for real.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here are some pics of the brake setup as it is today -

no tab to mount that master cylinder mount to, will need a plate welded im thinking -

Get Adobe Flash player

Your wheel cylinder bleeder valve is just above the brake line...also brake shoe adjuster studs are horizontally on each side of axle nut.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by laeljon View Post
    Your wheel cylinder bleeder valve is just above the brake line...also brake shoe adjuster studs are horizontally on each side of axle nut.
    Yes sir just as they should be...

Get Adobe Flash player

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...t=40593&page=6

Blackbetty's thread should get you started on the brake side with the smalls.

Speed club inc's "super shifter" matches the FXS brake side and looks like a stock part.

If you're keeping the bike as-is with hand shift, VCP sells floorboard castings and you could move the footpegs aft a bit if you fabbed new mounts and cut the set you have down. Just thinking you might not like full mids on the primary side, with the belt being a constant nag while riding.

Get Adobe Flash player

seaking - i actually just shot him a message and was using his thread as a reference. i got a set of brake mid controls and what i believe to be the correct master cylinder, just need some idea of where to get the right brake lines and fittings.

that super shifter is nice as fuck - http://speedclubinc.bigcartel.com/pr...uper-shiftertm but is designed for 1.5 " belts, and i have a 2". here is another very similar product - https://visionarycycleproducts.com/p...en-belt-drives

i was thinking about getting that but what you've shown me is a lot nicer. not to mention this shit - "Customer will need to provide their own FX shovelhead mid control shifter shaft and toe lever and shifter linkage. For ratchet top transmissions use the stock shovelhead FX shifter shaft and toe lever. They can be found well priced used on ebay. THESE ARE NOT INCLUDED WITH THE PRODUCT"

so its a $200 bracket made from what looks like raw steel......

Get Adobe Flash player

mounted master cylinder behind transmission, need a longer brake plunger. probably just need to get some stuff from hardware store to extend it.

Rewiring as soon as I can for my own sake, cause of shit like this and i have a dyna s to put in it -

Going to drop a bung in the seat post for a seat mount cause it came like this -

Waiting on headlight, and sissy bar, going to mount the tail light to new sissy bar. Bike puked oil when i ran it after sitting for a couple weeks, hopefully just sumping.

gas tank may be for sale soon if anyone is interested, can get high quality pics of it
    Last edited by FatChibs; 01-08-2018 at 2:33 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

https://youtu.be/akZwkzTdBqk

got my brakes working okay, could use some adjustment, need better hardware linking the pedal and plunger but was dying to ride it again, even if it was around a parking deck

Get Adobe Flash player

Excellent start!

The throttle issue where return to idle is slow could be an intake leak at the manifold. Old seal, misaligned manifold ore something. I'd recommend making a carb support to prevent the manifold from misaligning with time. But it could also be a small o-ring in the carb that guys sometimes forget.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sse.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	80922

It's number 38 on this pic.

With the exhaust leak. I have tried the evo gasket and it was ok, sometimes. Was sort of a bitch to have it set properly and it would blow out every now and then since it's been stretched.
    Some guys have been using round copper gaskets like this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l640.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	80923

I havn't tried it but read good things about it. But lining the exhaust properly up with the port and then bolt it down to it's mounts is the right way to do it. That way it will seal the best.
    But if it still is just blowing by then I guess the proper solution would be to get the exhaust ports welded up and remachined. It's not really that expensive either.

Make sure that your new brake cylinder has the small valve that maintains pressure in the system. It's a rubber coated washer that sits furthest in behind the spring in the cylinder. If it's not there you'll have to pump the brakes alot to get any pressure.

Andri

Get Adobe Flash player

!!! thank you andri, this is helpful info. i have another lead on why the idle doesnt return easily. yesterday was the longest ive run the bike so far, it finally stopped sumping oil by the end of it but i made a fucking mess...anyways, the throttle cable slot on the super e has a spring in it preventing me from adjusting the slack out properly. ive never seen this spring from experience with my last super e on my ironhead...it appears to be fucking up the cable return. seems fucky so im going to remove it and test.

side note, heres a shit photoshop, thinking about lowering the bike but it did ride and feel good with the current forks last night.

Let me know what you guys think about that second image, the fat turd of a headlight kinda fucks up the

James makes an Evo-style gasket for Shovelheads.
    P/N is JGI-65834-98-X2.

Get Adobe Flash player

Love the longer forks. Just needs some fork gaitors and a brace to balance it out I think. Smaller more tucked in headlight too

Get Adobe Flash player

literally just updated louisiana jammer my build check out the shovel mid brake set up I just slapped on still gotta do the master cyl but i went with the super shifter ha havent set it up yet though.

Share This