Clear All
  • brooklynbomber
    • Sep 2011

Bike is lookin real nice man.

Comment

• seaking
      • Jul 2013

Much better.

Now that it looks nice--and it might be nothing to worry about especially if you have some voodoo wiring setup--but thieves are smart, have you ever read that interview on reddit w/ the ex bike theif? You just need to hoop a cable from the wheel to the seatpost, that'll deter 99%
      HD ignitions are too easy to jump, I've lost my key and in five minutes I had it jumped with an allen key set, a spanner and a screwdriver.
      I've had a tweaker nip my cable all to hell but he couldn't get enough leverage on the bolt cutters to steal it. They have to lever the cutters off the ground to cut thick cables.

It's a good read:

Last edited by seaking; 02-27-2018, 9:39 AM.

Comment

• FatChibs
        • Feb 2014

you have an excellent point, the ignitions on choppers are stupid simple and mine is no exception. With insurance being exceptionally expensive ive never had anything but liability and uninsured motorist. I actually even quit keeping my bikes at my apt complex and keep em at work where its a gated garage (not that that implies they are truly secured) while i save for a house. Which on another note, getting my own space in a house with a garage would be next level. so sick of working on the fucking concrete outside with my tools everywhere. it truly hampers my ability to do things and do a better quality job on stuff. but here i am with two motorcycles complaining about not having a house lol, priorities am i right?

Another thing, like i mentioned im waiting on a sissy bar from someone i ordered from in december that was quoted to be done last week. and theres a motorcycle meet this weekend i wanted to ride this thing to. guess ill be taking the ironhead...

Comment

• seaking
          • Jul 2013

It looks a lot better with that 18/21, like it's gonna ride nice.

heh you're doing all right it runs--I had eight stuffed in my apt garage you couldn't walk in there, I'm down to two now. Now I have so many tools I can't park the truck on my side. At least I haven't migrated to keeping the wife's car outside. With a kid due in June I can't scrounge a hundred for gaskets.
          I was on the toll route Saturday driving back from Milwaukee (mama tried). Stopped at the gas station "oasis" and all they had was a 2ft curb to hop and you were right inside the parking garage backed right up to it, no fence even backed up to the freeway. No wonder they snoop, the garage doesn't give a shit.
          Last edited by seaking; 02-27-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

im even going to try setting up a chrome wassell style fender on the rear.
            Better to go stainless if someone makes one. Modern "chrome" falls off if you look at it funny.

Comment

• FatChibs
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by farmall
              Better to go stainless if someone makes one. Modern "chrome" falls off if you look at it funny.
              Guess well find out, throttle addiction chrome wassell fender came in today i bought from some1 on chopcult. I think it should hold up, its really nice looking and is thick metal. Im a big fan of throttle addiction tbh their shit is high quality. Time will tell and it guaranteed will look better than my current half of a fender haha

Comment

• FatChibs
                • Feb 2014

oversharing, waiting on sissy bar fml. half mounted chrome fender -

Comment

• FatChibs
                  • Feb 2014

So i finished up wiring headlight and taillight. waiting on sissy bar which the guy swears is going to be done at the end of the week....

Real talk....Been trying to figure out why my engine is sumping a shit load of oil. A break down of the issue:

- My engine seemingly has two breathers, which I cant find any reference to shovelheads having two but they are coming out of the case from behind the oil pump. i'll upload some pics to demonstrate this but i cant find reference to two crankcase breathers in the fsm or internet.

- oil is pouring from both of these breathers when the bike is running.

- i would try to run this til it ended up finally running out but theres a catch, i really dont want to end up running the motor dry because it doesnt seem to returning oil while running. to test i removed the return line from the oil tank while leaving it connected to the pump and watched it as it ran and i did see some dribbles of oil returning but not nearly enough to leave me satisfied. Im led to believe that the pump is not returning oil and therefore its filling the cases and sumping out the breathers.

- the oil pump appears to be an s&s body (has s&s stamped) with an oem cover. is this even runnable? seems like a mish mash of parts to me.

So i cant think of anything else to write about the issue right now but im losing some sleep over this issue for sure. Looking for some input here. Sounds like my oil pump is either fucked or i have some serious issues in my motor. Is oil pump cover/body replacement pretty DIY? Bike runs fine but is relentlessly dumping oil im assuming because the oil pump is not properly returning oil. So everything i've read tells me to pull the oil pump cover check the scavenger gear , mightve sheared a "woodruff key". been meaning to check the check valve / ball i have replacement parts but no wide-ass flathead tool to remove the slotted screw on top of the pump...im also stressed by this issue bc while troubleshooting the oil return issues i've seen my motor burning oil presumably bc of the mass of oil in the engine seeping past the rings and burning oil, as well as oil pushing past my main shaft oil seal leaking oil out of the mainshaft hub. dunno if i ruined the seal but it seems likely. motor definitely runs strong so im hopeful i havent done damage. overall an annoying situation.

Comment

• FatChibs
                    • Feb 2014

Here are some images of the oil pump, crankcase breathers in question -

oil pump in question..

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

^^^^^^ Those aren't all vents...^^^^^^^^ Others are oil lines and returns to the primary....

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

Sure could clean up that area with one of these ....

Chrome oil pump cover for models without chain oiler.
                        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• FatChibs
                          • Feb 2014

got a part #? planning on pulling the pump cover to investigate this weekend. ill try to plug up the unnecessary oil line. still worried about my pump not returning sufficient oil though

Comment

• Dragstews
                            • Sep 2010

J&P Part: 1699E
                            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• FatChibs
                              • Feb 2014

Better view of the two vents coming out -

I can tell you that the one without a hose on it pictured is gushing oil while running, the other is not but breathes a small amount of oil. If I plug the silver colored line it overpressurizes my cases.

Notice in the pic there are no woodruff keys, thats how i found it when i pulled the pump yesterday. Also the gaskets were pretty messed up

so now im waiting for some keys to arrive for reassembly.

Comment

• FatChibs
                                • Feb 2014

Hey just to update you folks, i put the oil pump back together. getting those woodruff keys on and assembled proper was super tedious but i honestly think that was my issue. ill post some pics of what i found in the cam cover but everything looked good to me and i verified the timing on the cams lined up. rode it around town. might need to readjust my pushrods and figure out a few bugs but the oil is definitely no longer sumping and is clearly returning oil back into the tank. the rear brake is working alright and will bring me to a full stop, might adjust the shoes out even more to get a better more immediate stopping response.

bike started cutting out under load near the end of my ride. im guessing it could be a few things, points lobe came loose, pushrods need readjustment, negative battery connection came loose. anyways i figure it was a simple thing of it dying under load i can fix up. this bike has more problems than i like to admit. took it to a local co-op shop type thing and looked it over. seems like the tranny moves while its being kicked. somethinsg up with the tranny plate i might end up replacing it and pulling the tranny to check it out. i honestly havent even began to address some of the belt / pulley alignment issues and a bunch of weird shit like my alternator stator cover being loose, weird spacing of the clutch hub and front pulley, weird front pulley and incorrect mainshaft nut.

im afraid im closer to a full tear down that id like to admit here.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;