CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last

Thread: 1979 Shovelhead

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

alrighty here goes another post!

theres a fun pic to show it off.

didnt take long, rode it around a few blocks this weekend after fixing the pushrod adjustment causing it to backfire and run like shit after warming up. still need a proper feeler gauge to tell where the hydraulic lifters need to sit at adjustment.

then i tried to kickstart it monday. and at first i noticed it wasnt coming all the way back up after kicking down. then it rotated 360* fully around lol.

so i pulled the transmission cover off. and it appears my kicker gear broke off. going to post pics of this below. wanted second opinions on my clutch thrust shaft setup...if i have it apart id like to set it up again with some new parts and save myself a headache having that shit break apart. it appears it doesnt have the oil slinger on it. and i want to make sure that the hole in the bottom right of the transmission is normal. also the last pic shows the piece broken off the kicker gear as well as a washer i found in the transmission cover...not sure where that belongs unless it belongs on the thrust washer shaft area. im also moving into a house in about a month so no parking deck garage working. wont miss that...

anyways look like ill be buying a new kicker gear. want to refurb that throwout bearing too if yall have recommendations for that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KICK-ST...5Wjr0N&vxp=mtr

i just ordered some parts, new heavy duty rebuild kit - https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-E84-Shov...item3b0193994f

oem kicker gear, a proper hydraulic lifter gauge, and some extra stuff to finish my conversion to hand clutch foot shift. dont get me wrong hand shift foot clutch is sick but i live in a downtown hilly area...

thank god for big twins, replacing these parts on an ironhead is way more time consuming.

hey one quick question for you folks, trying to get some passenger pegs set up, anyone have a part number or link to the v style mounts that i guess bolt to the tranny mount?

would this work? http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/s...102_3302282_-1
    Last edited by FatChibs; 04-12-2018 at 7:50 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

That last link didn’t work for me. Really love the look of your bike man, hope you get it sorted soon. World of difference from when you first got it

Get Adobe Flash player

Did you mean a passenger peg mount like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24957da43bac02b99c9921211c878b34.image.230x153.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	83277
    Chrome Footpeg Mount Bracket Passenger for Rigid Frames
    Model: 27-0632 Biker Direct
    Application: EL 1936-1952 FL 1941-1957
    Details:
    Chrome passenger footpeg mount bracket bolts to 4-speed transmission plate or can be mounted behind transmission on rigid frames by fabrication of mount strap.

https://www.bikerdirect.com/footpegs...r-rigid-frames

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice one. By the way,the kicker gear you posted isn’t oem it’s
    Dixie.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do yourself a favor on both parts. On the kicker gears, spend the extra money and get the Baker kicker gears. Unless you can find someone who has a massive collection of NOS parts, Baker are the only gears made in the USA and quality parts, rather than cheap made Taiwan shit. My 96 inch shovel stroker was eating a set or two of kicker gears every month until I put the Baker gears in. Bottom line, you can spend the money all at once on a set of gears that will last, or spend the same money in installments on cheap shit and have to keep replacing them. As far as the clutch pushrod and oil slinger goes, the later setup never lasted worth a shit to me, and when I replaced them with the older style clutch pushrod set up (which is MUCH heavier duty) I never had problems with it. Only issue you might have is that some kicker covers won't fit the older style set up. Get a complete set up from Baker with side covers and everything, and that's not a problem. Good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the replies everyone. @WillSCB , ill upgrade to a baker gear if / when this one craps out.

The kicker is back together and i fired it back up yesterday. ez fix. fitted up a hand clutch setup, waiting on one more part for my foot shifter and ill be rolling again. hand shifting foot clutch is fun but hand shift is nice around town. i can always switch between the two in like 20 minutes setup. ordered a passenger peg mount to like the one lsited above, we'll see how that fits up...

proof hah:

i always have the idle turned pretty far up when its a cold start so i never get the potato idle until ive ran it for a bit and turn the adjustment down. same deal on my ironhead, mikuni carbs are easier to start turned up and then you fiddle with em at stop lights.
    Last edited by FatChibs; 04-18-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^^^^^A Mikuni is a much better Street carb than a S$S is...........^^^^^^^

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FatChibs View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. @WillSCB , ill upgrade to a baker gear if / when this one craps out.

The kicker is back together and i fired it back up yesterday. ez fix. fitted up a hand clutch setup, waiting on one more part for my foot shifter and ill be rolling again. hand shifting foot clutch is fun but hand shift is nice around town. i can always switch between the two in like 20 minutes setup. ordered a passenger peg mount to like the one lsited above, we'll see how that fits up...

proof hah:

i always have the idle turned pretty far up when its a cold start so i never get the potato idle until ive ran it for a bit and turn the adjustment down. same deal on my ironhead, mikuni carbs are easier to start turned up and then you fiddle with em at stop lights.
    Slippers and Wheres Waldo socks?? Cool brah.........nice bike

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bbqbiker View Post
    Slippers and Wheres Waldo socks?? Cool brah.........nice bike
    Hahah yeah your girlfriend picked em out for me.

Thanks though!

Went on a few test rides today with the hand clutch and foot shift. Adjusted my brakes, working a bit better now can actually lock the wheel. Good times were had and i didnt push it home.

Get Adobe Flash player

the ugly side, need to fix up a foot peg near the shifter, right now basically heel shifting which works fine and all but..

also need a proper seat mount but maybe welding a tab to the seat eventually i dunno maybe just a black bungee cord so you cant see it haha.

its also still leaking out near the oil pump. which is frustrating bc i meticulously installed a new gasket and cleaned surfaces and tightened bolts with torque wrench to specs per manual. how retarded of an idea is it to try to use some sealer around the pump body?

Get Adobe Flash player

OEM Torque specs are usually to tight and will warp the pump.... Just get the bolts tight....

Get Adobe Flash player

Hell yes this rules, although watching that video doesn’t make me miss my kick only shovel. Hand shift is definitely a “cool” thing to me, where as I really love the quickness and simplicity of hand clutch/and foot shift. I can enjoy a ride more that way. Killer work

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FatChibs View Post
    I like Busch

Get Adobe Flash player

Any reason to switch to a 33.4 front end over the previous 35mm?

Get Adobe Flash player

i pulled it off my ironhead, it lowered the bike a good bit and i really like the narrow skinny look of the 33.4. additionally im going to take a hamburger drum i have and lace it to a 21 rim at some point. im putting the 35mm on my ironhead and potentially about to sell it.....

having lowered the bike , it actually rides better anyways, feels likei can finally corner with confidence. plus just look at it, its all shiny and has a nice headlight bracket i also stole from my ironhead. poor ironhead...

bbq that is one classy ride. everyone loves a little busch
    Last edited by FatChibs; 06-06-2018 at 5:40 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

fatchibs, I think a chain and lock would be easier for security. you must live in a rough neighborhood

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking great now man! SO much better than when you first took her on. Hopefully getting a shovel myself to go with my pan, less worry about thrashing a cone shovel and all that!

Get Adobe Flash player

i put in a bell style throwout, some good peace of mind. updated my front engine seal and its not leaking any more, ordered s&s specific oil pump gaskets and have ridden a few hours without any leaking out of the pump. super relieved about that problem being gone. tranny seal is leaking as best i can tell but not too bad. i put a chicago mfg kicker pedal on but im not sold on it. i also wanna try out some pull back rabbit ears on the bike to see how i like em. rode for an hour today, washed it up. bike seems to be sluggish after riding around for a while, as though my clutch is slipping. need to readjust all the springs i guess and take apart the clutch to see if the plates are shitty. dyna s was also installed, new coil, new cloth plug wires. belt alignment is all good now too. rear brake is stopping well. not much to comment on other than the inevitable clutch rebuild.

Share This