CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Another Haifley Hardtail build

It's finally building season in Wisconsin, so i decided that i was sick of the swing arm and build my sportster into a chop. A little background and i'll try to post as many photos as i can. I bought this bike(2003 Sportster Custom) in 2015 and it was essentially untouched besides a stage one upgrade.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	originalbike.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	80290

Over the winter of 2015/2016 i switched some parts out, got some new tires, cut up the wiring harness slightly and made it into the average sporty bobber. I was hooked from then on bike building.

Name:	2016bike.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	80291

So then it turned into this over last winter, because i couldn't stop changing shit

Name:	2017bike.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	80292
    Paughco upsweeps, old gold cobra seat, 6 over front end, frisco'd tank, more wire cutting,etc.

I rode it as is as much as i could, my dad came up and visited from Arkansas and i had time off from work, so we trailered it down to the south to ride the pig trail and around the Ozarks

Name:	pigtrail.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	80293
    Then rode it back to Wisconsin by following the Mississippi River home and taking the long way.

We winterized the bikes a few weeks ago, and starting tearing mine down to start cutting shit up and building a chopper.

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	292.8 KB 
ID:	80294
    I can only post 5 photos per post so i'll continue in the comments.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got it down to just the frame and the engine, waiting on the hardtail to come in before we started choppin'

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	80295

Last week the hardtail and sissy bar came in, and we started cutting it up this week on free time(we have plenty during winter) and shaving off unused tabs and mounts(Tank mount, Fork Lock, little pins that held wire connectors,etc.)

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	80296

Name:	IMG_0832.jpg 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	80297

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	80298

Name:	IMG_0820.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	80299

Get Adobe Flash player

Fast forward to today, i contacted my buddy who professionally welds, also rides a bitchin' 81 FLH, asked if he could help me weld the frame back up. I'm not the worst welder, but i wouldn't trust welding a very important piece like the frame.

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	80300

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	80301

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	80302

Now we wait on the rest of the kit to ship in from the Haifley Bros so we can work on the back half of the bike and make it a roller.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bitchin, I would really like one of these hard tails for my bike. One of the better looking ones out there right now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    Bitchin, I would really like one of these hard tails for my bike. One of the better looking ones out there right now.
    Definitely. Once someone mentioned the bottom rails look better on the haifley frame because it’s two separate rails instead of a loop like some of the cheaper kits out there, it’s all I could see. Plus the horseshoe oil tank is more classic chopper in my eyes, so I needed one as well.

Get Adobe Flash player

Stevens Point eh? Im up in Wausau.

Get Adobe Flash player

Small world. I ride to Wausau all the time

Get Adobe Flash player

I am about the same stage in my 03 build! Keep it up

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's a quick update,

The rest of the kit from Haifley Bros came in(seat, oil pan, fender) and we immediately started working on the bike. Not a lot of build photos because its quite simple to follow the directions, just drilling some holes in the fender and everything bolts right up. If anyone follows ctnewman(xnewmanx on Chopcult) on instagram he posted about the Haifley oil tank. People tend to crack them after awhile, and he cut up some plates to weld in to strengthen the tank. He was giving away 9 plates to anyone who wanted them so I snagged one to weld in mine.

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	80443

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	80444

Then i chopped the fender to roughly where i want it but still gotta round the edges back to it looks good. Also put the wheels and front end back on and zip tied the tank where i want it. Need to weld the bungs in but i wanted to see how it looked.

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	295.4 KB 
ID:	80445

Still have a lot to do before paint/powder/chrome. Gotta get a chain conversion, shave the trees, lowers and wire the bike. I ordered a Prism box light and still have to weld a backing plate and license plate bracket onto the sissy bar. Also got a bates style headlight to mount. I like the duel Volkswagen lights, but their not bright and i plan to ride this bike during the night and we have a lot of deer in Wisconsin. I'm at a crossroads with the exhaust as well if i'm going to build a custom set, run the Paughco upsweeps, or get some different exhaust.
    Last edited by Clownbaby; 12-19-2017 at 6:45 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I rounded off the fender today. Gotta straighten it out a little, but i think it came out pretty good for only using a grinder. Tried to match the original radius as best as i can.

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	80488

Then i mounted the brake mount. The slot was slightly to small so i had to do some filing. I'm gonna use a round file to finish off the rounded edges, but a flat file worked for what i needed today.

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	80489

I got family coming for Christmas so i wanted to slap the carb, sprocket guard/footpeg/brake and clutch back on as well. Eventually i have to cut up the guard and make it cleaner, but i'll probably wait for that until next winter when i get a spool front and spoked rear.

Name:	IMG_0846.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	80490
    (My brother slapped my lowbrow fuel bottle under the oil tank. Might actually run it there, but not sure how it will do with heat)
    Last edited by Clownbaby; 12-22-2017 at 7:13 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Final Welding and getting ready

So i decided to go with lowbrows shotgun pipes. Felt like making this bike high and tight with no frills and i think the pipes fit that vibe.

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	81490

after a couple of weeks of the bike being mostly complete we broke it back down to finish up some welding.

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	81491

Name:	IMG_0899.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	293.6 KB 
ID:	81492

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	81493

Now it time to decide on paint, powder and chrome. But in the meantime i'm going clean up the welds to make the hardtail conversion clean. Cut some more tabs and shit off it i don't need. going to Mama Tried in a few weeks, hopefully assembly it after that and finally ride it.

Very nice! I'm deciding between a Haifley Bros or David Bird hard tail myself.

Get Adobe Flash player

Unfortunately I didn’t grab some photos of the tear down and more final welding and shaping. But I sent off the oil tank and sissy bar to get plated. Also was trying to decide between powdercoat or paint. All the local powdercoaters seemed not willing to work with what I was asking so I found a painter that is letting me work fairly close with him to learn and toss some ideas out. Here’s the one photo I have of that so far.

Name:	512DF72E-3640-4A8C-97CC-CCFCD65233D2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	82265
    So far it’s primed up waiting for me to do some sanding. Hopefully finish up the paint in the next two weeks so I can start assembling.

Also with the help of a chopcult member, I’ve figured out my wiring diagram to what I want to run. Keeping the ignition stock and running the VOES switch. Going to tuck it near the battery and run a vacuum hose up the frame

Name:	E9488757-7EEC-4031-A8E2-69C06B3E52A8.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	82266
    Last edited by Clownbaby; 03-04-2018 at 5:31 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Finally decided on paint

We got the paint picked out and ordered, decided on a good medium 3-stage blue and got the base layed out

Name:	90BFB04F-B935-42DB-95A6-D92287202331.jpg 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	82342

Also decided on attempting the acetylene torch trick on the base and under the top coat. It definitely is taking time to get it right, but here is a test panel so we could see what the soot looked like under the blue(without clear)

Name:	EBEDC783-329B-49C3-B7C4-696DF69BC221.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	82344

Should be painting it next week, looking to start assembling and wiring some stuff the week after. Still got a long wait from the plater.

Get Adobe Flash player

Its cool to see this. Im also putting one together and youre a little ahead of me. Im very curious to see how the paint comes out. You're planning to run the wiring through the backbone?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ryanrowlett View Post
    Its cool to see this. Im also putting one together and youre a little ahead of me. Im very curious to see how the paint comes out. You're planning to run the wiring through the backbone?
    I should have the tins and frame back in hand this weekend. And yes to the wiring internally. Ignition wires come out next to the top motor mount. And the headlight wires come out right before the neck. Tail light wires will ride under the seat. The rest will be fairly hidden “under” the bike

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm enjoying man..cant wait until I get to the point of getting on the hardtail with my project. Every single time I really try to find different tail pieces (pictures of completed bikes) to compare I always seem to be drawn to the Haifley Bros piece. Is the oil bag Haifley too? I dig it..

Question: Are you going to run the 16 rear 21 front? I am curious about the ground clearance, it looks pretty good in the picture with the motor and everything in.

Nother question: Stock neck rake/over tubes?

Cotton1

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I'm enjoying man..cant wait until I get to the point of getting on the hardtail with my project. Every single time I really try to find different tail pieces (pictures of completed bikes) to compare I always seem to be drawn to the Haifley Bros piece. Is the oil bag Haifley too? I dig it..

Question: Are you going to run the 16 rear 21 front? I am curious about the ground clearance, it looks pretty good in the picture with the motor and everything in.

Nother question: Stock neck rake/over tubes?

Cotton1
    Yeah it’s the Haifley Bros oil bag. I’m gonna run the 16/21 set up. Picked up a spoked back rim for it though. And running Avon safety mileage/Speedmaster tires with higher sidewalls so the it will sit slightly taller. Ground clearance should be good.

Stock rake with 6 over tubes.
    Last edited by Clownbaby; 03-13-2018 at 8:06 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Another paint update, my brother picked up a DSLR camera and has been messing with photos. So here’s a tease of what the paint looks like. According to my painter we have one more day of work on the paint then assembly can happen a few days after.

Name:	FD1F6019-AD08-43B2-9F9C-A02A5F7D3DD0.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	82451

Name:	B6C5B8C6-31AB-4D3C-97E8-5BF38EDB0AC8.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	82452

Name:	B630B0FC-1EAF-4F68-9CD1-92A3A1DB0E42.jpg 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	82453

Name:	9CDE9FCB-F122-44C2-9952-17EBD680ADE9.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	82454

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	59E28FF9-E9A1-44FF-B975-D77DFA836049.jpg 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	82455

Name:	C1C57248-0CFE-4043-8C30-B00CA34A9A00.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	82456