CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

ride a hardtail before you get one. I personally love them, but I have friends that cant go 50 miles without complaining. also not forgiving on bumps n potholes. by a evo sporty and get experience, riding and wrenching.

It seems like the best advice is to get a bike this winter, ride it, then next winter revisit my thoughts on swapping it to a hardtail.
    This is the advice I know would hear the most, and to be honest im glad. It takes the rush and pressure out of it. I'll be able to plan longer and ultimately create something im more invested in and proud of.

This thread has been a huge help to kind of point me in the right direction. Thanks everyone for you awesome input. I'll be seeing you around.

Get Adobe Flash player

check out the "Old Motorcycle Buy & Sell B.C." group on Fakebook. Its British Columbia based. but some Alberta bikes for sale sometimes. Americans don't know how good they have it when buying old Harleys, expect to pay about 5 grand or more for a good evo Sportster in Canukistan.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainryder View Post
    check out the "Old Motorcycle Buy & Sell B.C." group on Fakebook. Its British Columbia based. but some Alberta bikes for sale sometimes. Americans don't know how good they have it when buying old Harleys, expect to pay about 5 grand or more for a good evo Sportster in Canukistan.
    lol. yea okay I just joined.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just throwing this out there,,, But I am well aware of the issues of Canuk land and the US as I often go to events up in BC,, The border CAN be a pain and there is techniques on crossing without being gouged in taxes and having your vehicle searched top to bottom but lots of Canadians road trip down to the US

(We DO bitch about Canadians driving but we also have Californians to also complain about so it all balances out)

But perhaps start planning a road trip now and line up some deals in the US, Not impossible to get stuff back across the border, I have sold bikes to Canadians before so not impossible. (Sorry about the exchange rate)

But come on down in February and party like a rock star. We have more strip clubs than any other city in the US (Maybe not the focal point of your trip) We have more breweries per person than any other city in the US (Fact, Beervana) and we have the ONE MOTO Show, Ignore the skinny jean hipsters and man buns.

(Lumbersexual look is big right now and last year some guys had a old school barber chair and were giving beard trims and selling hair jell,,, WTF???)

But live music, racing, cool bikes, pizza & beer. Look around online and ton of Youtube videos and other postings from years past.

See: http://the1moto.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portlandcaliforniaimg_2081.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	80326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portland9ffa3d044f8.jpg 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	80327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welcome-to-portland-ill-be-your-guide.jpg 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	80328

Doug your posts make me laugh. I'll be sure to check out the link for 1moto. Ive been coming across a bunch of these events and they seem like a blast. As to buying a bike in the states, well ive thought about it. Ive always wondered if the prices are worth it after the exchange, travel, taxes/border crossing etc.

Get Adobe Flash player

I ride a 2002 Sportster 1200, love it. I paid $6000 for it last year, it was already done in the flat tracker style I was looking for. Sportsters have a ton of aftermarket and custom options available, so a good bike for future mods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bike pic.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Solid mount alternator-on-crank Sporties may be the best engine HD ever produced. Get one, ride it for a season, then YOU will know what YOU want to change! Nothing beats experience. You will know what will make you a happy biker.
    What engine are you talking about?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by garbagewoman View Post
    What engine are you talking about?
    What Farmall is talking about (Loved his crotch rot metaphor above) is on early EVO sporty engines the alternator was under the clutch basket. Some of them had problems and the alternators grenaded and some just fried. There seems to be a fix for this,, and I have an 86 Sporty I have put a LOT of miles on and never had a problem with mine or a 89 I had for a while. But what he is talking about in the path of the EVO sporty motor, certain changes were made in the life of the motor.

Oil pump, cams, tranny, lifter blocks and cases, Cyl heads, Rocker boxes, Belt drive, etc etc. Others may have their opinion, but thats why I believe the 1998-2003 are the best Evo Sporty drive trains in the context of this discussion.

(Of course the Buells are even better but thats another topic).

Now, as to buying in the US,, May I make another suggestion. Might not be feasible, but I tend to buy in bulk and sell off extras and come out ahead on what I keep. So, $$$ up front might be a problem but if prices ARE that higher in Canada, consider buying 2 or 3 bikes and selling them to keep the one you want and chances are you either are in it for free or very little $$$$. Thats what one of my German friends does every year and ships a bunch of stuff back to Europe, peddles the rest and keeps what he wants.

But logistics are hard. You gotta buy right, both for a good product as well as price and expenses.
    Plus gotta nail the deals when they pop up because others are after the deals too.
    (Johnnie on the spot). I used to do a lot of bike and car brokering for overseas buyers and there is hassles, but in general they did quite well. (I am trying to avoid doing that anymore for my own reasons)

Mountainrider,,Thats a sweet bike. I got a 98 and building it into that style like yours to replace my daily rider 86 that got clobbered. Picked up some super trapps like that cheap locally on CL, Love those pipes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amish-bikers_jpg.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	80335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HalRDead762168440_n.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	80336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HalR-freakfae9030c.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	80338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HalRswapmeet94048_n.jpg 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	80337

OP and myself both live in edmonton , bikes here are massively overpriced . I find the shops indies included are not very accommodating unless they get ALL and i mean all of the work on the bike and all the parts sales, so bringing a bike from out of province is only doable if it is stock and able to pass a out of province inspection. I spend lots of time in western AZ and if he wants a sportster evos can be bought for 2200 to 2500usd and are very importable and will usually pass a op easily. This makes bringing up a bike really affordable and the RIV website has all the info needed, but when you do this print off the rules and hilight the rules you followed with documented records of when you sent the paperwork to the border . The border people at Shelby where you will probably cross fall into 2 groups when importing don't , give a rats ass will let you do anything or absolute muslim/nazi/communist types where torture in hell is preferable

Quote Originally Posted by zrtdarryl View Post
    OP and myself both live in edmonton , bikes here are massively overpriced . I find the shops indies included are not very accommodating unless they get ALL and i mean all of the work on the bike and all the parts sales, so bringing a bike from out of province is only doable if it is stock and able to pass a out of province inspection. I spend lots of time in western AZ and if he wants a sportster evos can be bought for 2200 to 2500usd and are very importable and will usually pass a op easily. This makes bringing up a bike really affordable and the RIV website has all the info needed, but when you do this print off the rules and hilight the rules you followed with documented records of when you sent the paperwork to the border . The border people at Shelby where you will probably cross fall into 2 groups when importing don't , give a rats ass will let you do anything or absolute muslim/nazi/communist types where torture in hell is preferable
    Thanks for chiming in with the good advice. Looking for a bike down in the states seems more realistic the more I see what's available down there. Ill be sure to shoot you a PM with more questions when it comes time to it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Since you've been searching the sites, you must have seen this 883 for sale in Edmonton for $4,500: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ationFlag=true
    For sale or will consider trade for QUAD OR SIDE BY SIDE BLACK RAKED OUT NEEDS CARB JOB NEW TIRES 1994 883 HUGGER SPORTSTER $4500.00 Something to ride for a year until your perfect deal comes along.
    Might be able to get it for cheap - looks like it is taking up space in the garage,plus it's winter, right after Christmas and maybe need $$ to pay for believing in Santa.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Since you've been searching the sites, you must have seen this 883 for sale in Edmonton for $4,500: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ationFlag=true
    For sale or will consider trade for QUAD OR SIDE BY SIDE BLACK RAKED OUT NEEDS CARB JOB NEW TIRES 1994 883 HUGGER SPORTSTER $4500.00 Something to ride for a year until your perfect deal comes along.
    Might be able to get it for cheap - looks like it is taking up space in the garage,plus it's winter, right after Christmas and maybe need $$ to pay for believing in Santa.
    -----------------------------------------

Not to rain on anyones parade here, But I am now on board with you Canucks that you folks are getting hosed (Bob & Doug McKenzie pun there) big time on Bike deals if thats the norm.

Not a great deal, needs work, and is not an optimum year IMHO, & "Aggressively priced".

So, in my opinion thats about $2000 over priced. Do the math. So, buying local has its merits, but
    thats a lot of beer slips. Now, If you want a nice runner or close to it (neglected but low mileage lifestyle accy) that needs service you could do MUCH better down here in the US.
    Like I said, there are dealers who peddle Insurance auction bikes at attractive prices, but in SOME places with a little work and ingenuity, you can bypass the dealers and BUY DIRECT from Insurance sales or private owners who kept the wrecked bike.

So, let me throw out numbers. A) This time of year crisis sales happen so maybe hold out for a good bike, or B) look at lightly wrecked and low mileage projects.

In the western US I can tell you that most if not ALL motorcycle coverage insurers will automatically TOTAL a wrecked bike if there is, or suspected frame damage as a matter of company policy.

I can tell you in my research and personal experience you can generally BUY BACK the wrecked bike for a EVO Sporty for between $400-$1500 dollars, and median average price is $800. (Which is WHY so many online sellers are parting out bikes at huge profits) Even with fees and taxes thats some fine ass prime grade A#1 custom bike building material there!

So,, again, I am a cheap bastard, if it were me I would either A) Get a buyers and road trip crew together and go do a bike purchase run to where the scoots are cheaper,, or B) Line up some cash, buy 2-3-4 project bikes, bring them back to land of expensive scoots and peddle several and keep the best one for yourself basically for free or even a very nice nest egg of bike building fund $$$$$$$$

(This is how hoarding gets started, you can thank me later),, But I do this sort of thing (Used to more often than these days, but how I got so much stuff). But I know a lot of guys who do this very sort of thing, especially several from Overseas. I got 5 Germans coming over next spring for the big swap meet in April, Gonna be some Duetchmarks flying and mad stacks with any luck at all...... (Will help to offset all the beer they are gonna suck down)

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll say. The evo sporty I'm putting together right now is an 03 883, 22K miles, I paid $2K. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever, rode it home with a clean title.

Get Adobe Flash player

Couple of small tips,also in the Great White North. The prices in the States are much better than up here,and the shipping costs are pretty reasonable. BUT, most shippers won't ship a bike unless it's in crate. That's extra cost to find someone to crate it before shipping. Regarding wrecked bikes...dunno about Alberta but here in the People's Republic of Ontario,they are really sticky about rebuilt or salvage titles. Probably would never even be able to register them here even if repaired properly. So it may end up just a parts bike.
    I'm only 10 minutes from Niagara Falls,so I've driven up to 8 hours to pick one up in the US and import it myself. As said earlier,look up RIV program for all the info you need. US Customs require paperwork to be submitted minimum 72 hours prior to you showing up with the bike so they can do their checks against stolen property and liens against the bike.
    And,I believe it was Farmall that said it in another thread...brilliant really....he who makes a project out of his daily bike often becomes a pedestrian. So keep the Honda for when you do start on your project.

Quote Originally Posted by ecmthis View Post
    Couple of small tips,also in the Great White North. The prices in the States are much better than up here,and the shipping costs are pretty reasonable. BUT, most shippers won't ship a bike unless it's in crate. That's extra cost to find someone to crate it before shipping. Regarding wrecked bikes...dunno about Alberta but here in the People's Republic of Ontario,they are really sticky about rebuilt or salvage titles. Probably would never even be able to register them here even if repaired properly. So it may end up just a parts bike.
    I'm only 10 minutes from Niagara Falls,so I've driven up to 8 hours to pick one up in the US and import it myself. As said earlier,look up RIV program for all the info you need. US Customs require paperwork to be submitted minimum 72 hours prior to you showing up with the bike so they can do their checks against stolen property and liens against the bike.
    And,I believe it was Farmall that said it in another thread...brilliant really....he who makes a project out of his daily bike often becomes a pedestrian. So keep the Honda for when you do start on your project.
    Hahaha loved the quote, and will definitely look up the RIV program.

And Doug, I don't have room for 3-4 bikes! id have to find a buddy with more garage space than me if I was to go that route.

Share This