Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ttom714
    • Nov 2017

Shovelhead Starter solenoid seal (Boot) replacement

Hi Y'all... I'm Tony, new here and I could use some help. My '84 FLHS needs a new Boot (seal) between the Solenoid and the primary case. Can anybody please explain how this is done? I do see a "Pin" that will need removal - how is this done? what other steps are there in pulling that plunger out of the bend mix? Any and all help will be Greatly Appreciated... Thanks!
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

First and foremost is to take the + cable off the battery .... (That's the simple part) .. ..

Next is to pull the pin while holding down the cup washer .... Keep an eye on how the parts are loaded ....
    From there you got it off the bike and in hand... Take the roll pin out of the plunger shaft and replace the boot ...

Two kinds of boots are on the market....
    I like using this one ....

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

I loop stainless safety wire through the coil spring to hold it compressed for reinstallation, then snap the wire by twisting it. I make two loops 180 degrees apart through the spring so it doesn't "tilt" when it tries to expand.

I fucking love safety wire and every mechanic should have a few rolls of different diameters around the shop. (I get mine via Ebay or Amazon.)

You don't need special safety wire pliers but they are also insanely nice to have.
      Last edited by farmall; 11-21-2017, 6:15 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;