Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TroyFab
    • Aug 2009

Triumph Sealed wheel bearing question

Do I need to use the grease retainers and retainer ring when swapping out to sealed bearings. I am rebuilding a Triumph rear spool hub. The retainers that I did not destroy were destroyed by the guy before me.
    Any opinions on this?
  • ClassicCycles
    • Jul 2009

I like to use the dust covers as spacers. If you'll notice, most of the sealed bearings are a little thinner so the threaded nuts will go in too far. So we put the 'spacers' in after the bearing to take that distance up. You could make these spacers out of anything though... Oh, and you'll need to cut the stock bearing spacer down a little too.

Andy

Comment

• TroyFab
      • Aug 2009

part # referance?

Originally posted by ClassicCycles
      I like to use the dust covers as spacers. If you'll notice, most of the sealed bearings are a little thinner so the threaded nuts will go in too far. So we put the 'spacers' in after the bearing to take that distance up. You could make these spacers out of anything though... Oh, and you'll need to cut the stock bearing spacer down a little too.

Andy
      Thanks for the response Andy,

Stock bearing spacer = w1278 distance tube?

Just to carify The parts in question are w1474 Grease retainer (brake side), w1654 Grease retainer, w1022 backing ring, and w1635 grease retainer.

Comment

• ClassicCycles
        • Jul 2009

Let me run those part #'s and I'll get back to you....

But yeah, stock bearing spacer is the distance piece.... may need to be trimmed.

Comment

• TroyFab
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ClassicCycles
          Let me run those part #'s and I'll get back to you....

But yeah, stock bearing spacer is the distance piece.... may need to be trimmed.
          Thanks Andy, I will check back after work tonight.

Comment

• dracko
            • Oct 2009

hey Andy, any idea how long that distance tube should be? the rear wheel i bought is missing some parts and i'm not sure the distance tube is the factory length.

after seating the drive side sealed bearing with the w1022 ring under it, the distance tube is about 1/4" past the ridge in the hub. should i cut the distance tube so that the bearing can seat against the ridge in the hub? or put spacers under the bearing?

heres a pic of what i'm yakking about. thanks!

hey thanks for that '66 frame too, its a beauty. i'll get some pics up when it starts lookin like a bike!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;