• Average

0 0%
  • Good

12 40.00%
  • Exceptional

17 56.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Thread: S&S Cycle

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default S&S Cycle

Get Adobe Flash player

Rate it compared to what Lisa? Just sales, help line, product durability?? Or just in general??

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by LisaBallard View Post
    Rate them for:
    1) Fit
    2) Quality
    3) Staying here in the Good Old US of A instead of moving to Mainland China
    4) Sexy sounding (Female) sales personnel .... (Bring back Jen to the sales dept)
    5) And last but not least, catering to "Old Models" with Hi-Po parts that the Mo-Co has long since obsoleted

Personally, I like number 4 ....
    (Well, number 5 rates pretty high too)

.../// https://youtu.be/zVGg38_QzOI \\\...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-17-2017 at 11:08 AM.

SamHain

They do some pretty cool stuff. I think it's about time they introduce a carb that isn't so antiquated.

Get Adobe Flash player

Since I moderate their Vintage Tech Forum I might be just a little biased! But every body I have dealt with has been topflight. And they will spare a little engineering time for stupid questions from somebody building a 1937 Indian Racer.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

Boys .....

If I only had the bucks to play in this sand box ...

S&S 160CI Billet Pro Stock Engine

Get Adobe Flash player

Trace the lineage of V-Twin performance back to day one and you’ll find a guy named George Smith (the first S of S&S) making flywheels on a lathe in his basement. That spirit of competition and passion for horsepower still permeates the company to this day. Imagine a couple hundred people with state of the art equipment whose sole focus is making your bike faster. We dream of angry sounding cam lopes, flat torque curves and cylinders big enough to wear as a hat and we do it not because it’s just some job, but because we genuinely love motorcycles, power and the roar of a well tuned engine at full noise.

Need your Sportster to scare the hell out of the local sportbike squids? We have you covered. Feel your Dyna needs 170Hp (at the wheel, guys!) to keep your heart rate up? Not a problem, although we can’t help with short life of your rear tire. How about an exhaust or intake that makes genuine power (even in California)? We have your back.

Follow along as we use six decades of experience to redefine the next generation of performance parts, all the while not forgetting about the bikes and engines that got us here, and still made in the USA.

-The Team at S&S

Get Adobe Flash player

The Bike that started the ball rolling....

Actually, this one is a copy .. ^^

The real McCoy .. ^^

(That's one wild clutch setup George Senior has going on there .. !!
    Looks like a B&H mousetrap he used for the launch and then switched to the rear foot clutch for hand shifts)

Last edited by Dragstews; 11-17-2017 at 6:48 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Service manuals/parts catalogs for their engines are not on their website. (An owners manual is not a service manual and the customer contact rep or bot comes off as if it clueless. I'm looking for a V124 parts book and service manual. They've made thousands of the engines so I suspect they aren't working off crayon sketches on paper napkins.

I shouldn't have to teach their operator what words mean. I love their products and have used them for decades, but they REALLY should post parts books (their retail catalog is not a parts book) and manuals for download. It would save them and their customers work.

Latest in our conversation for your amusement.

Let me rephrase the question. If I have to take that engine apart and order parts and perform work inside the motor, what tech data is available?

What reference do your technicians use when one comes in for repair? There's a book somewhere.

An owners manual does not provide instructions for any of those tasks nor does it show exploded views with part numbers. If you are just a call center operator that's cool but please forward this to a real mechanic because they would have understood instantly what I asked.

An owners manual is not a service manual. Do you not know the difference because your responses are not what a mechanic or technician would say. I am not asking an odd question. Words mean things. If you do not fully understand my question, send me contact info for a real technician and I'll continue the conversation with them. An owner can't do internal engine work with an owners manual for reference because it does not have that information.

If your responses are generated by a bot instead of a human (common with many large companies), please provide a human contact. If you are a offshore call center operator answering off a checklist, that's not helpful.

V124 service manuals and parts diagrams with part numbers etc exist somewhere. It would save much hassle if those were posted for download. Then if a customer needs a gasket or whatever they can cite that data when ordering parts from your company.
    Regards,
    Last edited by farmall; 08-21-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Issue resolved!

Thanks to DustyDave for messaging KBoarts who DropBox'ed me a .pdf manual. (It's over 100 megabytes so email won't handle it.)

The hard copy books are out of print but .pdf are available. I'd rather have a .pdf anyway.

The part number of the hardcopy V124 book is 61-1000 for reference. It covers V111,117,124.

I emailed the S&S contact address with details so now they know the service manuals exist, and I suggested they find those manuals on the S&S server so they can send them to customers. (Gotta train noobs, they are the old farts of the future. )

Kickass help by 33er DustyDave (who moderates the S&S Vintage forum Flathead section) and KBoarts of S&S!
    Last edited by farmall; 08-23-2018 at 2:12 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^ Awesome!

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks for a S&S K&N 93 motor, nice motor
    at 1500 miles I had to take the top end off and go 10 over.
    rear cylinder was 20 pounds lower than front cylinder. motor had oil coming out rear pipe at initial start up (1st 50 Miles)
    front cylinder rocker arm had the rocker arm pushrod part that mates to the pushrod , I forget the name fall out was broken in the middle off rocker arm. This part is different diamater than the stock harley serviceable part . so had to order new rocker arm.
    cylinders where bored to loose tolerance .
    rear valve seat was not cut correct and needed to be recut. for some odd reason the valve guides where egg shaped so I had all 4 replaced.
    motor was new from a shop in NH and I seen the bike get built. motor has 1,500.1 miles on it and 5 oil changes
    initial start up warmed to 150 degrees then shut down cycled again at fast idle .
    guess since the motor was bought and off warenty Im sol.
    annoying to order gasket kit and get wrong top end gaskets.
    allso no help on phone as far as why this motor came with a 68 main jet and 28 intermediate. swapped out to 72 and 29.5
    love S&S but man wtf.
    so now when im asked i tell people of this
    doesn't anyone work there that knows shit about the stuff they sell?
    now scared to buy the 124 kit for my twincam...........

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post
    thanks for a S&S K&N 93 motor, nice motor
    at 1500 miles I had to take the top end off and go 10 over.
    rear cylinder was 20 pounds lower than front cylinder. motor had oil coming out rear pipe at initial start up (1st 50 Miles)
    front cylinder rocker arm had the rocker arm pushrod part that mates to the pushrod , I forget the name fall out was broken in the middle off rocker arm. This part is different diamater than the stock harley serviceable part . so had to order new rocker arm.
    cylinders where bored to loose tolerance .
    rear valve seat was not cut correct and needed to be recut. for some odd reason the valve guides where egg shaped so I had all 4 replaced.
    motor was new from a shop in NH and I seen the bike get built. motor has 1,500.1 miles on it and 5 oil changes
    initial start up warmed to 150 degrees then shut down cycled again at fast idle .
    guess since the motor was bought and off warenty Im sol.
    annoying to order gasket kit and get wrong top end gaskets.
    allso no help on phone as far as why this motor came with a 68 main jet and 28 intermediate. swapped out to 72 and 29.5
    love S&S but man wtf.
    so now when im asked i tell people of this
    now scared to buy the 124 kit for my twincam...........
    You sure had a lot of problems with a brand new S$S motor which is a DAMN shame.....

I would never buy a motor from S$S.......

Get Adobe Flash player

nice motor
    For what they cost it's not nice at all. There's no excuse for rocker arm breakage unless a piston hits a valve which didn't happen or you'd have seen other damage. That sucks. Do you have the parts? Clear brightly lit pics of both sides of the crack would be instructive. The parts might have visible stress raisers due to machining error. If they don't and were correctly machined, that's worse because it's harder to find and correct.

I'd skip the online contact ("SSCUST Viola" is who I dealt with) in future if that's who you asked. In my opinion she needs improvement. WHO did you contact? People have names. If they suck S&S needs to know. Tech ignorant "tech support" need training or a different job.

I PMed you Mr Boarts email as posting email addys lets bots harvest them.

Machined parts are measurable so as we both know sloppy fit is unsat. (Got the old pistons?) Every important part on such a premium product should be inspected/measured prior to assembly. It's not difficult. Go-no go gauges aren't rocket surgery. CNC isn't magic and if the operator is lazy or a low-wage button pusher vs. being a real machinist CNC can make a shitload of scrap mighty quick. It's not enough to rely on machine settings or assume that tools set up by a setup tech can run indefinitely without attention. Good operators know this but some hammerheads graduate trade school (if they pass the course, they pass the course....) with lesser skill sets than others.
    Last edited by farmall; 11-06-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ill post pics over the weekend, machinist has old rocker arm atm, he needs to replace guides on that head allso, not sure on seats,
    But i have pistons at home, ill get those pics up

Get Adobe Flash player

Farm thanks for the email.
    i will eat the 1400 dollars on parts mach work
    i allso have to dress the rocker arms that mate to the valve, 2 of them are gouged .
    Love s s but damn
    Last edited by Davestune; 11-08-2018 at 6:37 AM. Reason: Owell

Get Adobe Flash player

First off I'm a big fan and supporter of S&S.
    Been istalling and running S&S hard parts successfuly for years.

But here's my rant...
    Just got a 117 TC crate motor in for a customer last week.
    Gotta say I was not impressed with the sales staff knowledge of their own product...
    Customer ordered a motor and a throttle body
    No one told him he needed a specific manifold and air cleaner kit to fit the motor and throttle body he just ordered!
    And an oil line kit to fit the dyna tank!!
    I caught the little grey note at the bottom of the catalog page about the oil lines, but we are now waiting on the manifold...
    You would think the sales staff would be looking for that upsell !
    Plus customer's wife is wondering why I gotta order 400 dollars worth of parts to make this thing run lol
    Had to physically demonstrate so she would understand "big part don't fit little hole".
    Had to restrain myself from making a joke about Lube.

Furthermore the oil line setup for late model Dynas seems way over engineered.
    Stock oil lines are two rubber elbows and four nipples...
    This thing took three hours to install! And it should have come with an oil pan gasket, just saying.
    I'm betting the lines are gonna leak in short order.
    And worse yet there is a potential leak in the uphill feed line! Hoping it won't start sucking air.
    We shall see...

And Tattoo, I agree these crate motors should come with a real manual. Not just installation instructions.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post

And Tattoo, I agree these crate motors should come with a real manual. Not just installation instructions.
    Thanks for that...... It's not just S$S it's almost every manufacturer..... I have a odd grid solar system on my cabin and nothing that I bought had a manual that told you anything helpful..... And then you call there tech line and ask questions and they don't know shit and it sounds like they are reading off of a piece of paper to answer your questions....... I don't see how you can run a business like that...

Get Adobe Flash player

Wow takin a $2000 dollar hit to fix a "new" motor.......so sad. I know dave likes to bend over and take it deep, but FINANCIALLY as well??? Thats crazy I'd be all over S&S....maybe you'll get a shirt or a Koozee at least...

Seems S&S has followed the corporate model of hiring some "order takers" instead of knowledgable sales people who know their shit. Save a few payroll $$ but look at the result that poor dave is experiencing....

My crate motor ate an oil pump that they replaced under warranty but was told to take a hike when my compression releases literally fell out......still happy with motor leaving weaker riders in the dust...

Dave when it's back together let me break it in...please I'll be gentle....I swear

Get Adobe Flash player

Love S&S
    My 1st stroker was around 1982 when i built it
    Owell still love ss owell

Share This