Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grumpy2bde
    • Dec 2011

i am not gonna sit here an lie i am not 100% on what was done as i was not there i was told it was cycled thru heat a few times an the rings where checked i made a point of inquiring on this an as far as bore he did say he did this the rest of the instructions i can say i followed the directions with the exception of the oil change at 50 miles he did this .. did i follow 100% verbatim i am probably guilty of not sir i tried to follow what i knew.... i try to follow directions ( like my army days.. lol) but it still should not have the same thing happen 3 times... should it ?
    Last edited by grumpy2bde; 02-03-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Davestune
      • May 2014

do you know what your oil pressure is or was.
      I crashed valves into each other after the 2nd time , i did a pressure test , oil was restrickted due to s s drilling oilport hole in the wrong place on my front rear knuckle rockerbox. shit happems... they should stand behind defective parts, i dont give a fuck how old it it.....

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by grumpy2bde
        but it still should not have the same thing happen 3 times... should it ?
        Yep if the same thing was done all 3 times you will get the same results every time..........

I have a question,,, How were the rings checked???????????

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

A story of a customer with a 2002 Road King ....

Showed up at the shop with his bike on a trailer, said his oil light was not going off.
          I pulled off the cam cover just to see if the only problem was the pump.
          Shoot looked like a silver paint job was done in there... Told him the whole motor needed to be taken apart along with cleaning up the entire oil system, that included pulling the oil tank off the bottom of the Trans ...

He didn't want all that work to be done, just wanted me to replace the pump.
          Told him I would, but he wouldn't get many miles before his oil light would be staying on again....

Well Sir, I guess he seen the light (Pun intended) and gave me the OK to do the tear down ...

Did a complete rebuild and up the cubes to 116 inches
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Yep if the same thing was done all 3 times you will get the same results every time..........
            Yep. Or if any root cause condition repeated because it was not found and corrected.

Something made it run hot as a fresh fucked fox ina forest fire ...
            If the problem was caused strictly by hot combustion temps, what would the INSIDE of the piston crown look like? Given new pistons the deposits wouldn't have had years to accumulate.

The pistons I've dealt with had the usual crud but I've not run into any low mileage HDs which seized due to mixture.

---
            Exactly what fuel system settings andparts are different from stock? Plugs don't tell everything.
            Last edited by farmall; 02-04-2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall
              Twink cylinders are oiled by squirters and if it wasn't critical to add those to cope with high heat (due to lean EPA tuning) the bean counters at HD wouldn't have spent the money. Crumbs from the early timing shoes (for example) could go anywhere in the lube system as could other debris. They could block interfere with flow while system pressure might read fine.
              Cylinders still get oiled from splash, the oil jets are for cooling the underside of the pistons ....

There is no doubt that the lifeblood of your Harley-Davidson’s Twin Cam engine is its oiling system.

Crucial to oiling yet often overlooked are the piston jets. Located deep inside the Harley-Davidson’s engine cases, it’s hard to verify whether the piston jets are functioning properly…until now.

JIMS new Piston Jet Test Stand (No. 772) allows mtoorcycle engine builders to test these jets for proper operation before installing them. The unit operates on both compressed air, and air over oil.

When operating with air only, verification of proper flow through the piston jet can be witnessed. In the air over oil mode you can not only check for proper operation, but also physically see the oil spray pattern emanating from the jet.

By adjusting the air regulator on the unit, mechanics are able to determine at what pressure the piston jet turns on and off.

An additional benefit of the Piston Jet Test Stand is the ability to clear assembly lube from the jet’s narrow oil passage. Don’t let malfunctioning piston jets cause your Harley-Davidson Twin-Cam’s engine to sump or overheat, test them before you install them.

JIMS Piston Jet Test Stand has an MSRP of $199 and is backed by a lifetime warranty.
              Last edited by Dragstews; 02-04-2020, 10:44 AM.
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• grumpy2bde
                • Dec 2011

to my understanding with a feeler gauge... and fyi i had a brand new s&s “g” on it ( i think g it was the correct 1 for model an size)
                i understand about how this that an the other thing can an will go wrong as far as oil pressure i have an idiot lite so thats all i got on that .. i am not tryin to piss anyone of here gentlemen i am sure there was this an that done small differences each time as i was doin my damndest not to grenade engine i wanted it to work..... ok gentleman i went bak to my wrench an inquired more about the s&s set of jugs .. the first set he contacted them and apparently there was an issue they knew about , the second set where restamped an sleeved , the third set was supposed to be completely new but he did note the walls seemed quite thin
                Last edited by grumpy2bde; 02-07-2020, 4:59 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;