0 0%
  • Good

15 40.54%
  • Exceptional

19 51.35%

Thread: S&S Cycle

Hybrid View

Default S&S Cycle

Rate it compared to what Lisa? Just sales, help line, product durability?? Or just in general??

Quote Originally Posted by LisaBallard View Post
    Rate them for:
    1) Fit
    2) Quality
    3) Staying here in the Good Old US of A instead of moving to Mainland China
    4) Sexy sounding (Female) sales personnel .... (Bring back Jen to the sales dept)
    5) And last but not least, catering to "Old Models" with Hi-Po parts that the Mo-Co has long since obsoleted

Personally, I like number 4 ....
    (Well, number 5 rates pretty high too)

.../// https://youtu.be/zVGg38_QzOI \\\...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-17-2017 at 11:08 AM.

SamHain

They do some pretty cool stuff. I think it's about time they introduce a carb that isn't so antiquated.

Since I moderate their Vintage Tech Forum I might be just a little biased! But every body I have dealt with has been topflight. And they will spare a little engineering time for stupid questions from somebody building a 1937 Indian Racer.
    Dusty

Boys .....

If I only had the bucks to play in this sand box ...

S&S 160CI Billet Pro Stock Engine

SIAMOLI

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDave View Post
    Since I moderate their Vintage Tech Forum I might be just a little biased! But every body I have dealt with has been topflight. And they will spare a little engineering time for stupid questions from somebody building a 1937 Indian Racer.
    Dusty
    . (Bring back Jen to the sales dept)
    5) And last but not least, catering to "Old Models" with Hi-Po parts that the Mo-Co has long since obsoleted

i personally have been disappointed by s&s i have had to replace jugs an pistons an such twice so far and am now probably gonna have to pull it down again and either put stock bak on my 99 dyna or find another company they have seized up on me twice an possibbly a third time i will know when i pull heads since it is ticking like a time bomb rite now

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy2bde View Post
    i personally have been disappointed by s&s i have had to replace jugs an pistons an such twice so far and am now probably gonna have to pull it down again and either put stock bak on my 99 dyna or find another company they have seized up on me twice an possibbly a third time i will know when i pull heads since it is ticking like a time bomb rite now
    Your not the only one having problems with S$S products ..............

Details (the more the better) would help since seizures happen for reasons. Got clear, well lit pics of the previous damage (bore and piston) and measurements of bore and piston? (Bore measurements won't be dead accurate without torque plates but a dial bore gauge at your local automotive machine shop is much better than nothing.)

You'll notice Dragstews measures clearances often and takes nothing for granted. Be like Drag. If S&S are shipping kits without sufficient bore clearance or other issues that can be measured and proven which may help you get correctly machined replacement parts. Measurements with torque plates would probably be necessary but for what parts cost (and to isolate the cause of the problem) I'd do the necessary to find the root cause.

Don't forget oil squirters. Twinkies need those and they clog easily:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjm4D9tzfxA

If I had a piston seize I'd perform an exhaustive autopsy before reassembling and double check the new parts where ever they come from. There is a REASON for every mechanical malfunction.
    Last edited by farmall; 01-29-2020 at 6:55 PM.

first off i have been riding an workin on bikes for a min or 2 i am no school trained tech not by a longshot i am like most here grew up around bikes an learned fron local guy that said i wont fix it but i will answer ?’ s so u dont fuk shit up.... meanwhile bak at the batcave...
    i have a 99 dyna stock tc and i wanted to boost it up a bit and got wit my local wrench who knows a bit more then me an he ordered an s&s sidewinder bolt in kit part # 0931-0740 to bump it up to bout 100” i followed all the break in directions and it wasnt on the bike more than a month mayb and it gave up this god awful squalin an squealing noise and a loud azz bang i pulled clutch an coasted to side of the road i got it refired .. luckly i was very close to home got it there an loaded on trailer and took it bak to my guy he looked at it an the piston was tore up as well as the wall of cyl he contacted s&s and told them wat happened they immediately said send it back an sent a new set as s&s already knew of an issue with some being resleeved instead of new cyl... ok fast forward to next break in period wich had the added part that if the bike sat for more then say 10 mins ie: a ferry ride across the cumberland river.. it needed to warm up again for bout 5 mins as the piston an the cyl were 2 diff metals meaning diff cool off/ heat up times so handle with kid gloves but lo an behold it happened again same thing on the trailer back to my guy and the same thing happened to cyl an piston he contacted s&s an at first they said it was my fault this happened not the fact that the cyl walls were rather thin so bak an forth it went so s&s decided for “ good customer relations” they would replace 1 more time .... and do i really have to tell u wat happened again and all 3 times it was under 500 mile break in .. now i personally will not buy another s&s bolt in nuthin an now i got sum pricey paperweights i will b puttin it bak to stock for now , and for those i hear out there about how my wrench mite suk , no .. no he does not he has a large clientele an a good rep as far as bike work goes... if you were to ask me .. imo i wouldn’t waste your hard earned $$ on this an if you do i wish you better luck an hope it works for you an you dont get my nitemare

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F548603-BF68-4B89-8375-905A58D50F08.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	99810

Ok I'm having a hard time reading this^^^^^^^^ with no breaks in the sentences so I will ask a question.......

Was all of the break in time done sitting still??????? Per break in directions..........

no it was on the road and i aplogize for 1 long run

Name:	FE4B4AFB-42A5-4940-B993-9BB7382660DE.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	99811

That's caused from over heating or to tight of a fit or both..............

It suffered a seizure, most likely happened in the first 50 miles ...

Share This