Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcredneck
    • Feb 2013

Whats a good source for gear boxes/clutches

ive always loved putting engines where they do not belong i put a dt 250 2 stroke in a atv built for a 5 year old once.
    But all the really cool motors come without trannys and I work on alot of water shit and can get alot of badass marine 2 strokes.
    Imagine a 175hp tower of power inline 6 in a bike built like a henderson or a kawi 1200 tripple in a sportbike frame.
    converting these to ground use is no problem i converted a couple to run on land already if you see a 90hp evinrude golf cart in bc i did that.

However motorcycles dont use the belt CVT for good fucking reason. You would have no way to disconnect from your motor if you have ever ridden a shitty worn out 2 stroke you would eventually have the thing lean out and rev the fuck out at some point and all you have to do is pull in the clutch and your safe.
    When your using a belt you are fucked i almost died on a ski doo in the middle of town when i ran out of gas it leaned out and i was running out of space quick and had to flip over on purpose

So Ive searched every where and can not find a used motorcycle gearbox that cost less than a used motorcycle
    Its insane im actually considering cutting one out of a xl500 or building a new box for the internals. Why are they so fucking expensive
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by bcredneck
    Why are they so fucking expensive
    The recession is over, Everyone has a job that wants one and now people don't have to give there stuff away to eat...

Comment

• bcredneck
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Tattooo
      The recession is over, Everyone has a job that wants one and now people don't have to give there stuff away to eat...
      I get that but im my area i can go get a ninja 750 cheaper than a fucking gearbox hell my GL1100 cost $200 less than a 4 speed I do not understand why the hell the Chinese are not copying this shit yet

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by bcredneck
        I get that but im my area i can go get a ninja 750 cheaper than a fucking gearbox hell my GL1100 cost $200 less than a 4 speed I do not understand why the hell the Chinese are not copying this shit yet
        LOL Yea I don't either but it's all about demand...

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Canadian prices are horrible. You might as well cut up a used motorcycle then sell off what you don't use to recoup or even turn a profit. Nothing of value would be lost. Why would that matter any more than cutting up a junk truck or car?

Chinese have no reason to copy something that won't sell. Extreme oddity one-off project parts wouldn't sell because the people who build them don't want to buy new parts in the first place and pleasing all the different potential customers would be a nightmare. They won't make it for free.
          If you price out what you want from a Chinese supplier I expect you'll find out why they don't make what you want.

Dead Jap bikes are plentiful because they easily go "beyond economical repair" and are discarded. Go slice one up!

When your using a belt you are fucked i almost died on a ski doo in the middle of town when i ran out of gas it leaned out
          No kill switch at your fingertips?

Comment

• bcredneck
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by farmall
            No kill switch at your fingertips?
            Ya there was both times i had machines rev like that (ATC250R was scary) all it did was make it missfire shitty push buttons dont always bleed off enough power it seems or the contacts where dirty who knows

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Whoa ....

Buttons ..... gotta love em ... Well maybe .. ??

Got Nos on my Buell ... The way I got it rig is, ya got a few perimeters to cross before it become live ...
              One is built into the ing. system, motor must be taching past 3,500 rpm then it armed...
              Next is a micro switch on the carb that closes at WOT ....
              Now things are getting serious, the last loop to close is my finger on the button ...
              Shit gets real when all three are closed .....

Yes I have soiled my nickers more than once with that button ... !!!
              Last edited by Dragstews; 11-13-2017, 9:23 PM.
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;