Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • choppersbydavid
    • Oct 2017

'77 XS650 Chopper Build: My First Chop!

Hi everyone, my name's David. I'm 17 and the start of this build and from New Jersey. This is my first bike: a 1977 Yamaha XS650 that I'm chopping up. I'm an apprentice motorcycle mechanic at a local shop, which is where I gained pretty much all of my motorcycle knowledge. This build will be a huge learning tool to strengthen my fabrication and customization skills. I figured I'd post the process here to share with all of you and document it along the way. I'm super excited for this. I've been wanting to build my own chopper for the longest time.
  • choppersbydavid
    • Oct 2017

First off, this is what the bike looks like now. Already kinda hacked up and not very pretty, but a great start.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171004_143353.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	1298640
    Last edited by choppersbydavid; 10-29-2017, 9:22 PM.

Comment

• choppersbydavid
      • Oct 2017

So I'm going to keep the electric starter, primarily as a backup. There's a short coming from somewhere that keeps blowing fuses every time you press the start button. I isolated the short down to the starter itself, but when I bought a used starter from eBay(tested and working) the same problem happens. Could there be a short beyond the starter in the motor, or where do I look? After I tackle this, the bike can finish being taken apart and I can cut up the frame for the hardtail.

Update: Found the wiring issue. All the wiring is messed up from all the PO's, gonna rewire it all later.
      Last edited by choppersbydavid; 11-01-2017, 8:55 PM.

Comment

• choppersbydavid
        • Oct 2017

Here's the current progress on the bike: I have the frame stripped down completely and I started to cut it up. I'm going to have the hardtail professionally welded, as being a beginner fabricator, it's not the best idea to do it myself. I have a neck gusset kit in the mail that I'm going to weld in later. I also have a gas tank on the way from lowbrow. Getting excited for this build!

Name:	fullsizeoutput_56.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1298739

Name:	fullsizeoutput_57.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1298740

Comment

• corrosiontrav13
          • Feb 2012

Really hope you update this. Long time lurker here, you got a good attitude kid.

Comment

• choppersbydavid
            • Oct 2017

Man you're right, I'm waay overdue for an update. Kinda forgot about this, but thanks for the motivation. Keep posted for a very big update with tons of pictures

Comment

• choppersbydavid
              • Oct 2017

Got the bike back from getting the hardtail welded on a while back. While it was gone I worked on shaving the forks. Fucked up a little and went slightly too deep when cutting one of the tabs off. It's okay though because it faces the rear, and this isn't a perfect show bike either. Gonna go back later and hit it with higher grit sandpaper.

Name:	20171113_192840.jpg
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	1300685

Name:	20171113_194406.jpg
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	1300686

Name:	20171114_205603.jpg
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	1300687

Name:	20180108_182131.jpg
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	1300688

Name:	20180108_185847.jpg
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	1300689

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                • Oct 2017

Other things I got done in the past 2 months or so: tank, seat, rear fender(may do a 3rd mount at the bottom), sissy bar, tail light, and HD kicker arm conversion. Fender is the original front fender, just cut off the mounting tabs. It has a lip on the edge and is the perfect radius. Love it.

Name:	20180114_125109.jpg
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	1300690

Name:	20180114_125123.jpg
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	1300691

Name:	20180118_232303.jpg
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	1300692

Name:	20180118_233131.jpg
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	1300693
                Attached Files
                Last edited by choppersbydavid; 02-18-2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                  • Oct 2017

Went with a mid tunnel tassel tank and pandemonium 'yo mama' pipes, pretty standard. May weld up my own set in the future. I bought the blank sissy bar bend from throttle addiction and just welded my own crossover pieces out 1/2 inch round bar, and countersunk allen bungs from bung king.

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	1300695

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	1300696

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	1300697

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	1300698
                  Last edited by choppersbydavid; 02-18-2018, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                    • Oct 2017

Currently working on foot peg mounts. Bended up some 1/2 inch round stock(same as sissy bar crossover pieces) welded to a 3/16 plate that bolts to the original exhaust mounts. Only have one done and working on the second to match. Went with Anderson style foot pegs. Ebay seller said they came off a goldwing, ha. Let me know what you guys think of all this, I would love to hear feedback!

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	1300699
                    Last edited by choppersbydavid; 02-18-2018, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by choppersbydavid
                      First off, this is what the bike looks like now. Already kinda hacked up and not very pretty, but a great start.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79642[/ATTACH]
                      "Let me know what you guys think of all this, I would love to hear feedback!"

Well done, one 'ell of an improvement! That hardtail cleaned it up right. Dem legs look smooth. Great idea re-cycling that front fender. Those high-LH pipes are nice. I think the two rear fender center-mounted bungs are a bit much; mighta been cleaner with just bolts up through the cross-over piece, or perhaps bungs on the sides where the crossover is welded, to keep the center clean. Good start on the footpeg mounts - the 1/2" looks a bit thin - maybe double up on them? maybe run another 1/2" piece along side the one there now? Keep up the good work!
                      When I built a XS chop, I wanted to mill out the big YAMAHA name on the engine side covers and fill it in with a brass plate engraved with the name of the chop (it was 'Twisted ST') - perhaps an idea...

Edit: Considering what happened to Jfuller(Went Down Yesterday...),maybe that rear fender mount ain't "a bit much"...
                      Last edited by TriNortchopz; 02-20-2018, 6:32 AM. Reason: update
                      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Skwerly
                        • Mar 2015

I will always have a soft spot for the old Yamahas, as my first bike was a 400 special and it rode like a dream -- it just wasn't fast. At all. In any sense of the word.

You got a great looking bike here!

Comment

• crimson00
                          • Aug 2017

Love seeing the progress on this one, much respect brotha!

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                            • Oct 2017

Thanks for the feedback! I wanted to make the sissy bar and fender as sturdy as I could, just so I wouldn't have to worry, and considering that it was my first time(after much trial and error and scrap) I think it turned out halfway decent. Good for now, but still want to put something decretive in-between the mounts for the fender and tail light. I'll figure something out. As for the foot peg mounts, you may be right. I may need to redesign them to make them stronger, but it's a step in the right direction. Starting to feel more like a bike, and with this strand of warm weather, makes me itch to ride this thing

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                              • Oct 2017

Last night I finished the other foot peg mount. I put all my weight on them and they seem sturdy to me. They flex just a little, but doesn't seem like they'll break on me. I also got the kickstand done. Just shortened the original one about 1-2 inches. Leans real nice.

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	1300834

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	1300835

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum