Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • choppersbydavid
    • Oct 2017

Been working on everything related to the rear brake. Bought a kit from Hugh's Handbuilt to keep the original brake pedal and linkage, good quality and looks good. It was a big fuss getting it in the right place where my foot would be, and that it wouldn't be in the way when taking the motor out. Ended up having to shave a little off the side of the brake lever so that it wouldn't rub on the foot peg mount. Also had to cut off the square plate on the pedal and move it all the way up and out so it would line up better. Like I said, it was a big fuss. I thought about bending my own lever, but I'd have to also make a shift lever to match, and I only have a propane torch, not oxygen-acetalene, so getting the metal hot enough to bend it would be really tough. For now it's good. Maybe I'll bend up my own levers later on. I also had to extend the brake rod about 6inches, cut up the lever that attaches the brake rod to the pedal, and make a mount for the return spring. It's all tacked for now so I can see if it interferes with anything. Have that brake switch for now, not sure how I like it, feel kinda cheap. I haven't hooked it up to a battery yet to test it, but i don't know if it's even going to actuate properly. If you know of another option I'm all ears. Here are some pics!

Please, leave me feedback, I love hearing from you guys. Tell me what you like, and what you don't!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	1301141

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	1301138

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	1301139

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	1301140
    Last edited by choppersbydavid; 03-11-2018, 7:18 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

It may have been a bit of a hassle but it looks like you got it, and lookin' good.
      Without being able to fully see your rear brake and the offset in the frame, I wonderin' if you could swing the brake plate around so the brake plate mounting bolt is next to the bottom frame rail, then weld a slotted tab for the mounting bolt to fit into - eliminating the anchor rod.
      And yes, I agree, that brake switch is cheap, and the mounting looks like a cheap ad-on...
      Check out this li'l hidden micro-switch from the Factory Metal Works:
      Your one-stop shop for aftermarket and custom motorcycle parts. Old's Cool Choppers has parts for Triumph, Harley Davidson, Yamaha, Bobber, Chopper, Cafe Parts for Sportsters, Bonneville, XS 650s, and much more.

It is with a bracket to fit a T120 - maybe you can just get the switch, call 'em (888)308-6641

or, maybe this chrome guy from Lowbrow for $22, which could be mounted near the return spring:
      Cycle Standard Deluxe Chrome Motorcycle Brake Light Switch for your Hardtail chopper; https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/delux...or-bobber.html
      It would be cleaner to mount the switch closer to your spring...
      Keep goin'!
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• choppersbydavid
        • Oct 2017

Thanks for the recommendation for the switches, I'll have to look into it and see what'll work best. I'll test out the one I have now, maybe it's not as bad as I'm assuming. In regards to the brake plate, good idea. If I recall, I think the offset from the frame is about 1-2 inches, I'll have to measure. Maybe I can swing it around and just weld a tab there, I'll check it out. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

• Skwerly
          • Mar 2015

yeah man, looking clean! almost like ya know what yer doing.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

Glad to see the work on the rear brake stay.

I did a bunch of street racing on my XS. There was this road in the middle of the corn fields that was about 1/2 mile long. About a 1/4 mile in was a pump house and at the end of the 1/2 mile was a "T" where the paved road intersected with a gravel road. If you missed that turn you would fly off into a 5 foot drop into the field.

I was racing a first gen Camaro and as we went past the 1/4 mile mark I hit the brakes and the stock brake stay broke loose. Since I had no front brake on the old springer I just started downshifting like crazy. I was told there were some evil flames shooting out of the old straight pipes. I did manage to slow down enough that I could drop a boot and make a three point sliding turn.

Surprisingly the motor and trans held together and while I know it didn't do any good things for that motor, at least it was not spread across the field!

Comment

• choppersbydavid
              • Oct 2017

Oh jeez, that's scary. I'm going to be running a front brake on this one. Not very chopular, but it's my first bike, so I'm still getting used to it. I will also be running mini turn signals and a horn. I loose cool points, but it'll be easy to take off if I change my mind.

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                • Oct 2017

Rolled this thing outside today for the first time, and man does it look good. My opinion at least. I always liked smaller bikes, especially with more "curves" (tank, handlebars, etc.) Haven't been working on it too much. just finishing the rear brakes. Oh, and I made a speedo bracket that mounts to the risers. Came out nice. I'll add an led for neutral light and one for turn signal indicator. Can't wait to ride it!

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	1301410

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	1301411

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	1301412

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Ya got it lookin' good David,very minimalist,like nothin' it don't need... well except for a headlight and the rest of the electrics...Those left side pipes really keep the right side clean. Gonna have a kick only?
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                    • Oct 2017

Thank you! I agree, I love the way the pipes look on here. I'm very happy with them. Headlight is next on the to-do list, I should be getting started on that this week. Electronics come next. I will be running an electric starter. I figured why not because it's under the bike and unnoticeable, and it doesn't weigh a whole lot. But I'll only have it for back up. I wanna kick it like a chopper should be.

Comment

• Rjcinelli
                      • Oct 2016

Digging the direction your bike is going man, keep up the good work and updates. Really like the exhaust too, thinking of doing 3 individual drag pipes on my XS750 when I get to that part.

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                        • Oct 2017

Thank you! The pipes are from pandemonium customs, I think they really add to the overall look of the bike. Checked out your thread, and you got a good start going. Much like you, I'm very restricted with my budget. Look for ways to reuse original parts/modify them. Or look on eBay, craigslist, the chop cult classifieds, or chopperswapper on instagram for good cheap parts. You have a great attitude and I'm sure your bike will turn out sick!

Comment

• Rjcinelli
                          • Oct 2016

Thanks man, I kind of like having to build a bike on a budget makes you really have to think about what you want to do and be creative. I've been on chopperswapper everyday looking for things I might be able to use, if you want follow my IG I usually post build progress pics on there a lot faster than anywhere else. It's robcinelli. I'll keep an eye on this, keep working on it!

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                            • Oct 2017

I agree with you on that, definitely more creativity going on. Thanks for the kind words! Gave you a follow

Comment

• shovel625
                              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by choppersbydavid
                              Oh jeez, that's scary. I'm going to be running a front brake on this one. Not very chopular, but it's my first bike, so I'm still getting used to it. I will also be running mini turn signals and a horn. I loose cool points, but it'll be easy to take off if I change my mind.
                              Run a mini drum front wheel, mechanical front brake. No need for a master cylinder on the bars that way and it doesnt block the wheel up andddddd youll get some cool points because they are sick and so is not wrecking your first bike lol

Comment

• choppersbydavid
                                • Oct 2017

I was thinking about that. It's gonna be an update for the future. I wanna have a 21 with a mini drum, it'll look real good. A chopper is never finished, right?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;