CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last

Oh jeez, that's scary. I'm going to be running a front brake on this one. Not very chopular, but it's my first bike, so I'm still getting used to it. I will also be running mini turn signals and a horn. I loose cool points, but it'll be easy to take off if I change my mind.

Rolled this thing outside today for the first time, and man does it look good. My opinion at least. I always liked smaller bikes, especially with more "curves" (tank, handlebars, etc.) Haven't been working on it too much. just finishing the rear brakes. Oh, and I made a speedo bracket that mounts to the risers. Came out nice. I'll add an led for neutral light and one for turn signal indicator. Can't wait to ride it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	82767

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	82768

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	82769

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ya got it lookin' good David,very minimalist,like nothin' it don't need... well except for a headlight and the rest of the electrics...Those left side pipes really keep the right side clean. Gonna have a kick only?

Thank you! I agree, I love the way the pipes look on here. I'm very happy with them. Headlight is next on the to-do list, I should be getting started on that this week. Electronics come next. I will be running an electric starter. I figured why not because it's under the bike and unnoticeable, and it doesn't weigh a whole lot. But I'll only have it for back up. I wanna kick it like a chopper should be.

Digging the direction your bike is going man, keep up the good work and updates. Really like the exhaust too, thinking of doing 3 individual drag pipes on my XS750 when I get to that part.

Thank you! The pipes are from pandemonium customs, I think they really add to the overall look of the bike. Checked out your thread, and you got a good start going. Much like you, I'm very restricted with my budget. Look for ways to reuse original parts/modify them. Or look on eBay, craigslist, the chop cult classifieds, or chopperswapper on instagram for good cheap parts. You have a great attitude and I'm sure your bike will turn out sick!

Thanks man, I kind of like having to build a bike on a budget makes you really have to think about what you want to do and be creative. I've been on chopperswapper everyday looking for things I might be able to use, if you want follow my IG I usually post build progress pics on there a lot faster than anywhere else. It's robcinelli. I'll keep an eye on this, keep working on it!

I agree with you on that, definitely more creativity going on. Thanks for the kind words! Gave you a follow

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by choppersbydavid View Post
    Oh jeez, that's scary. I'm going to be running a front brake on this one. Not very chopular, but it's my first bike, so I'm still getting used to it. I will also be running mini turn signals and a horn. I loose cool points, but it'll be easy to take off if I change my mind.
    Run a mini drum front wheel, mechanical front brake. No need for a master cylinder on the bars that way and it doesnt block the wheel up andddddd youll get some cool points because they are sick and so is not wrecking your first bike lol

I was thinking about that. It's gonna be an update for the future. I wanna have a 21 with a mini drum, it'll look real good. A chopper is never finished, right?

Get Adobe Flash player

Subscribed

Got to make a headlight mount tonight. It's not 100% done, still needs finish welding and to grind and clean up the edges, but it's almost there. Wasn't 100% sure if I was gonna keep it, because I wanted to tuck it back more to be less protruding, but it doesn't look like I'll really be able to do so, or it'll get in the way of the stem on the headlight and i won't be able to get the nut off. So I think I'll continue with this. If you're familiar with stock xs650 trees, you'll know that on the lower tree, theres 4 mounts/nub type things. The ones on mine were hacked up, broken off bolts in there, cut uneven, so I decided to just grind all of it off and start fresh. It looks a lot cleaner which I like. For making the mount, I took about a strip of 1/8 inch steel and hammered it to the curve of the tree, and drilled holes that lines up with existing ones on the tree. I heated up and bent 3/8inch round rod to match the angle of the forks to keep it looking clean, and just made a tab to mount the light to. Oh, and on that top tree I shaved off the stock speedometer mounts that were big and clunky. Looks really clean, I like it. Up next is the fake oil tank for my electronics. I got some 16ga steel to cut and weld up into a similar shape as a horseshoe oil tank. it's not gonna be curved because i have no way to do that, so cut and weld it is. Just gotta make sure my design is big enough for all my electronics.

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	83441

Name:	IMG_0575.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	83442

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	83443

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	83444

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	83445

The light is a repop hella/vw reverse light. When mounted it's slightly slanted, but it looks to be because of the light itself, not my mount. I don't know, I think Ill still run it. Also as you can see I cut off the steering lock. I'll finish grinding it off then weld up the hole. And I got a question: that worn-off white sticker on the neck that has information on there, can i scrape that off and paint over it? Is that legal? I'll make sure the VIN is visible.

(PS: I apologize for all my pictures being flipped, I'm not sure why it keeps doing that. If you know how to fix that let me know)
    Last edited by choppersbydavid; 04-22-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good to see you're keepin' with the curved rod theme for your headlight mount - matches the footpeg mounts. From the pics it looks like that headlight could still tuck back more,maybe mounted on the backside of that upright rod with the tab flipped around? Nice cleanup of those stock trees. Are the VIN numbers stamped into the neck? If so, the sticker should be able to go. Otherwise you'll need to keep it.
    To bend your 16ga sheet for you whoreshoe tank, just find the middle if it, mark it and mark the ends of the radius, and bend it over something round - the radius you want, like a big piece of pipe - will just need a few small clamps to keep it tight to your form - or cut a wooden block the right shape with a bandsaw to make a form, stick the sheet in there and squeeze it to shape...look around at 'forming radius in sheetmetal' - I saw videos,articles,forums... you could make the tanks sides out of one piece and weld together at the back in the middle;one radius and two 90* bends with one weld. You gonna mount the battery in there too?

If I want to flip the light around like you suggest I’d have to bend another piece and cut it longer so it sticks out more. Maybe I’ll try it out. And yes, the VIN is stamped into the neck, so looks like I’m saying goodbye to that sticker. And good tip for creating a curve, I’ll look into that. And my battery won’t fit in there, just other things like fuses, relays, and switches. Stuff like that. I’ll make a battery tray that’ll rest on the lower frame rails in between the fender and down tube. Speaking of- anyone know of a small battery that I could use? Something smaller than stock size. I’m keeping my electric starter, so something that can handle that. And something affordable too. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Well, I gotta give it to you. Thanks for pushing me to make a new mount. It now has the look I wanted being recessed in, and looks a lot better. Really happy with it
    Here's headlight mount 2.0:

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	83489

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	83490

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	83491

And here's my vague design for the electronics tank. Not big at all, so I'm worried it won't fit all the parts I need it to. I had to make it angle in so steep like that so I can still get the air filters off

Name:	IMG_0608.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	83492

Name:	IMG_0610.jpg 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	83493

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, I gotta give it to you. Thanks for pushing me to make a new mount. It now has the look I wanted being recessed in, and looks a lot better. Really happy with it
    Here's headlight mount 2.0:

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	83490

And here's my vague design for the electronics tank. Not big at all, so I'm worried it won't fit all the parts I need it to. I had to make it angle in so steep like that so I can still get the air filters off

Name:	IMG_0608.jpg 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	83492

Name:	IMG_0610.jpg 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	83493
    2.0 looks better for sure with the nut behind the post and further tucked in. To clean it up even more, I like to cut the light mounting bolt shorter, with just enough space for the nut and lockwasher, then radius the inside to avoid chaffing the wire insulation..

For your box, make it deeper (taller?); follow the frame rail, just beneath it, and take it all the way back to the fender, even radius the back of it to match your fender for a nice tight parallel fit. The front will be a radius though right? Those filters can be squished abit for removal.
    Here is an example of a Santee whorseshoe electric box on my old Zchop:

Name:	Z 1105 Santee chop.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	83494
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-24-2018 at 7:48 AM.

My problem with continuing the tank further back is that I won't have access to put anything past that tube with the seat mounts because the fender mount is in the way. Still looking into creating a radius. And I forgot to mention, but the sides of the tank will angle up to match the hardtail part of the frame so there's not a gap.
    Last edited by choppersbydavid; 04-24-2018 at 7:30 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

My problem with continuing the tank further back is that I won't have access to put anything past that tube with the seat mounts because the fender mount is in the way. Still looking into creating a radius. And I forgot to mention, but the sides of the tank will angle up to match the hardtail part of the frame so there's not a gap.
    Can you just cut out the back section to go around the fender mount? And use the fender mount as your rear mount? That small space at the back could fit your toggle switches for kill switch (right side so you can hit it down with the clutch pulled in), headlight and signal light on the left.
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-24-2018 at 7:52 AM.

I suppose I could try it. I do want to make a cover for this so if I get rained on so I won't fry my electronics, so making a cover to go over all of that would be tricky. I agree I want to make it as big as I can, I just don't know the right way to go about it. Thank you for your input! I always appreciate it

Yesterday I had some time and I made a license plate mount and rear turn signal mounts. The license plate holder is from Prism Supply, and I just wended steel in an L shape and the axle slides through. Pretty simple. Later I'll drill two big holes one on top of the other(roughly 2" holes) in the license plate holder to save weight and to make it look better. Turn signal mounts are pretty simple too, just some tabs. These rear signals are tiny(about the size of a quarter) so they'll be as subtle as possible, yet bright because they're leds. Front signals are just a 4" led strip with adhesive that I'll stick to the fork tubes under the tree so I can take the forks on and off. I wanted to make these signals as unnoticeable as possible so this is what I came up with. As for the electronics box, I will not be making it curve, it'll have flat edges. I'm doing this so it'll be easier to mount things to the inside walls. Also to give my switches a flat surface to mount to.
    (excuse the rear wheel, the axle adjusters aren't set properly right now)

Name:	IMG_0712.jpg 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	83747

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	83748

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg