Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesamparr
    • Oct 2017

Haven't started my xs650 in 4 years - checklist for getting her up and running

All,

~4 years ago my father bought a 1973 xs650 bobber. When he bought it, the engine was completely rebuilt and only had 400 miles on it. However, my dad never even road the thing...he just kept it sitting in his office because it looked cool and got it running maybe a few times.

Here's what it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/cVxeU

Now, I've just bought the bike. I want to get it ready for messing around town. I've owned an XS before but it was always in riding condition.

Can you let me know if there's anything that I should look into other than what I have below?

Master cylinder - the front brake is a bit soft. Will bleed the brakes and replace fluid
    Clutch - the clutch lever is pretty firm. Hopefully it will loosen on it's own, but may have to replace the cable
    Carbs - He left a little gas in it . I think he put some treatment in there. I'll replace the gas and put some seafoam in the tank. If it runs funny, will rebuild the carbs.

What else do you think I should do?
    Attached Files
  • rokytnji
    • Apr 2024

Lube the chain and repack the wheel bearings.

Edit. Good trick for ya. Take off chain. Soak in Diesel fuel in a tub over night. Empty tube. Now fill tub with used oil. Soak chain overnight. Makes em last longer.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-26-2017, 5:56 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

If it's been inside all this time..... Put some high test gas in it with seafoam and see how it runs.... I wouldn't do a Damn thing.........

Comment

• Ninskrilla
        • Apr 2013

id probably put a little oil in the spark plug holes and kick it through a couple times before starting it, makes sure everything is nice and lubed before you start it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;