CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 1995 Sportster build. Gonna be a long winter

Found a great deal on a 1200 sportster with super low miles. Lot of people told me it was too nice to tear apart, but i dont like people telling me what to do, so i put it on the lift, and tore into it. Decided to go with a paughco rigid frame, 4up and 2 out. I think they call it the Swedish style frame. After a long wait frame finally arrived - motor was already out of the old frame ready to drop in.

Got a coffin tank from Lowbrow and a bunch of other parts from TC bros, and ebay. Going to be moving filler cap location- more to come on that.

Cut the tabs and mounts of the front forks and had a buddy turn them down. 21" spoke wheel for the front. Looking for a solid for the rear, or possibly get some covers? not sure what to do there.

Found a hexagonal oil tank on ebay to match the angled look of the tank.

Things are moving along slowly but surly.

Ill keep posting as i go this winter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1010.jpg   IMG_0320.jpg   IMG_0515.jpg   IMG_0858.jpg   IMG_0878.jpg  

Default few more updates

Got an idea of the overall stance with the new wheel - still need to figure out bars...that will be probably one of the last pieces of the puzzle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike-01.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	79565

Mocked up gas tank modifications, moving the filler cap up due to angle of the frame.

Name:	tank-01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	79566

Name:	tank-02.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	79567

Rough sketch of the sissy bar

Name:	sissybar.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	79568

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Love the sketch of the sissy bar, do you have a K/Q sourced already? Or where are you thinking of getting one?

Thanks! I'm going to make the seat pan myself. Luckily I've got a buddy i work with that use to make seats for boats and motorcycles that is going to help me foam it and stitch a cover.

TC bros just released a bunch that looks pretty good - but i think i'd rather make a custom one.

Default exhaust options...

Working up some ideas for the exhaust. Would like to have rear pipe curve forward around ignition, and to leave more room for push button starter

Haven't done a ton of searching yet, but curious if there is any stock options people are running similar to any of these? vs. having to have some custom welded.

Name:	exhuast-options.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	79661

Get Adobe Flash player

Very nice looking work so far.... ^^^^ I like D the best it flows with the rest of the bike...^^^^^

Get Adobe Flash player

Supertrapp makes an exhaust that looks like Option D.

Get Adobe Flash player

The stock exhaust on some of the solid mount EVO 883R's were a 2-1 with a similar curve, I have a set of those headers on my sporty that I fit a Supertrapp muffler to. The stock headers didnt have a kick up but I had local exhaust shop bend me a piece to angle the muffler up. If had the cash at the time I wouldve went with the full supertrapp system but this works.

Name:	March_2016.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	79768

Awesome, thanks for the info. The supertrapp and the stock header idea is a good place to start.

Get Adobe Flash player

For the headers, Paughco makes a 2-into-1 header set (part 719C1) that looks nice and clean, and pretty similar to most of your options.

Personally, I think C would look the cleanest with either a fishtail or fancy exhaust tip on the end. Obviously that's just personal preference, but it should be pretty easy to just build the rear section using Paughco's header.

*Edit: I realize now that the Paughco header doesn't wrap around the points cover like your drawings, but I think it's still a good looking option for style C exhaust.

That Paughco one could work. Was leaning toward wrapping forward around the points cover to give me a little more hand room for push-button directly on the starter. This one might still give me enough room- might have to track one down in real life to look at.

Default color? gotta start somewhere.

Waiting on some other parts to show up so figured i'd start sketching some color ideas for the final. Initial pass at what it might look like...im sure this direction will change multiple times, but i at least have a starting point of what it might look like.

Love the look of frame, tank, and fender all matching. Picking the color is gonna be the hardest part.

Name:	bike sketch.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	79784

Get Adobe Flash player

I definitely think the paughco option will block the starter for that use. What I have always used is a car style ignition. That way you just spin the key back and it fires right up, just like in a car. No extra wires to the handlebars, you usually need a key anyway, and no burnt hand reaching down for the button in the dark Just another thought.

I also think a solid color scheme like that looks good, and good luck on picking a color. I know I have a hell of a time making up my mind.

Get Adobe Flash player

Have you looked at the Danmoto Highwayman? The one for 88-03 models looks pretty similar to the stock 883R pipe but with a little more upsweep and it's pretty damn cheap. I've been thinking about picking it up, but can't find dick for reviews or any pics of it mounted.

Yeah i saw this one from Danmoto pop-up.
    https://www.dan-moto.com/DM_INT/inde...49fb158b3f5380

Name:	c06ecf8cf15a62f41a830aafcad11ea1.image.550x550.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	79807
    But youre right - there is not a photo installed anywhere on the internet. Might have to photoshop it together and see what it might look like.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, that's the one. I'll never understand why these companies don't show photos of their parts actually installed on bikes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Check out Trackerdie's instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbA03jqlstH/

They just posted a pic of them using the dan moto headers and a different muffler could be a good route to try out. Their pic looks like its a newer sporty but the same idea could work with a '95 probably just need a different support bracket.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 9.36.23 AM.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	79813

Default danmoto

I think the danmoto is gonna be the way to go. With the rigid frame I'm going to have to make custom support brackets anyway. At least using the headers- then can decided if i want to make a custom end/tip/up sweep/etc at a later date.

I like the header pipe better on the black one above.

Rough photoshop of the prior link was hard to figure out scale- but i thought this was close.

Name:	exhaust-danmoto-maybe.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	79814

Get Adobe Flash player

Hell yeah. I like the 86-03 headers better as well, and at that price I wouldn't feel too bad about tossing the muffler something different. Let us know if you pull the trigger.

Pulled the trigger. Ended up ordering from JP cycles- brushed stainless was out of stock, so they said 2-3 weeks till it gets here from supplier.
    Once i get them & mounted ill post - plenty to work on in the meantime.

and 10% off for veterans days sale- so even better deal, couldn't pass it up.

Share This