Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • savageflannel
    • Jul 2017

Mainers for Choppers

My first bike build is going to be done on a '72 Ironhead. I got it last summer, and it's a funny bike. Aftermarket rear suspension, longer tubes, a fatboy tank, chopped fender, and because of some of the mods, it will damn near fall over just sitting on the kickstand. Interesting vision the PO had for it.
    So far it's been a fun learning curve, sniffing out oil leaks, replacing gaskets and rings. I'd never opened the guts on an engine before, so it was relieving to do that, put it all back together, and then get it running. I have a DB hardtail to put on it, even though Maine has some pretty stifling restrictions on bike customization. Not exactly a chopper-friendly state. Gotta work around that. But we'll go for it; peanut tank, bigger bars, sissy bar, etc. I have a general idea I'm going with for the bike, but gimme suggestions if things look like junk. And anyone up north who knows where to find parts, or how the bike works, gimme a shout. I'll be working on it all winter and it's going to take some time. I just got it going again last night, and it's so ready to beast.
    If there's anyone on the scene in the 207, hit me up. We can drink beers and talk about bikes. Have a grand ole time.
    Attached Files
  • rokytnji
    • Apr 2024

Good luck with it. I also have a 1972 basket case with a title that has kick and electric start. It is gutted like old bones in a dino pit. I will be bringing it back to stock. But it is on the back burner while I do other projects that have more priority.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vin_number2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1298490

I bought me a decent complete tranny from XLforums since it was missing. Sorry. I am on the Mexican border. But I am always game to hang out with like minded scooter tramps. Drink beer. But I do not do cold.

Code:
    harry@biker:~
    $ inxi -W 79772
    Weather:   Conditions: 63 F (17 C) - Clear Time: October 21, 10:04 AM CDT
    Be sure and check out:

and

While shivering and working.

PS. It won't hurt to have:

Factory Parts Catalog 99451-78B
    Fatcory Service Manual 99848-78

The Haynes and Clymer manuals are also good to have.
    The Haynes manual has the best photos though .

I also bought me this for grins

The Hardback one. Was the one I bought.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2017, 1:36 PM.

Comment

• savageflannel
      • Jul 2017

Yo man,
      No doubt, I got the Clymer manual right away. It's been sufficient, but I didn't know about the Haynes manual. I even thought about that Unauthorized Tech Guide, but I haven't pulled the trigger. There's gonna be some frosty days of welding coming these winter months. Your 72 looks like a real intense project, good luck to you man. I'll have some Narragansetts for you when I'm wrenching in the snow.

Do you fab seat pans? Or are there any standard sizes for old Ironhead seats? Like K/Q seats?

Comment

• rokytnji
        • Apr 2024

I have the tools to fab my own seat pans.

But time is limited and projects are many many. So it is easier and more cost effective for me to take short cuts.

Like biker swap meets. Craiglist listings. Ebay. Old iron heads are some of the easiest to fit up. I personally like the La Pera King Cobra seat myself.
        The one below cost me a C-note used. I've seen used cheaper knockoffs on ebay in brown naugahyde for 30 bucks though. Diamond tuck and roll.

Due to laws down unda im looking for some inspiration to prove swingarm chops aint so bad! Post pics any style that show how cool and simple swingarm chops can be!

I use K/Q seats when the needs arise also

The above is my winter project this year. My 6 speed , stroker shovel, hardtail. Just saving up money for the parts.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2017, 1:47 PM.

Comment

• savageflannel
          • Jul 2017

That's going to be so sick. I've just been trying to accumulate parts as best I can. Chopper on a budget, ya know? Have you had any luck with aftermarket ignition switches?

Comment

• rokytnji
            • Apr 2024

Autozone or Napa? I use both. Generic key switches used on cars. On my Fatbobs. Those taiwan tumbler chrome dash key switches < digital plastic > .

But I live in the desert. Not the cold white north where everything is soaking wet all the time. So your mileage may vary from mine
            when it comes to building a custom murder sickle.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2017, 7:19 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;