CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Wiring Ironhead bobber

So I知 probably gonna look stupid... but here goes nothing, I知 horrible with electrical shit but my dad isnt he knows what he痴 doing. But I知 trying to figure out the bare minimum electrical parts i need to have a running Ironhead bobber. It痴 gonna be kick only , no blinkers, and no switchs for the headlamp just gonna have it always stay on hi beam. I made a list of the parts I think are the bare minimum I知 just wondering if I知 missing anything.

Battery, Ignition Switch, Head lamp, coil, Brake light switch, tail light, Regulator, generator ( not buying a 1984-85 years) , contact breaker , Spark plugs , and points

And do I need a starter solenoid for a kick only ?

is this a good diagram to go by? Ik it has a lot I知 not using im gonna just draw is without then if it good one to follow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40E5C544-641E-428E-9B73-ED639A6100AF.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	79424

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Can I ask why you want the lights on while cranking the bike?????

LOL LOL LOL do you need a starter solenoid for a kick only bike?????? LOL LOL Hell yes as long as it has a starter.............
    Last edited by Tattooo; 10-20-2017 at 6:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Can I ask why you want the lights on while cranking the bike?????

LOL LOL LOL do you need a starter solenoid for a kick only bike?????? LOL LOL Hell yes as long as it has a starter.............
    I said I’m gonna look stupid but my questions did get answer lol. so I’ll add a light switch and a start solenoid to the list... gotta learn some how

Get Adobe Flash player

I would also add a high low beam switch and wiring in there. Generators have a tendency to be weak, and if you don't need high beam, it would be nice to be able to go to low beam. You can minimize wiring by having a momentary switch on the bars with a wire going to a headlight relay. When you hit the switch, it will switch between hi and lo beam on the relay, and you have only a power wire going to the handlebar switch, and a power wire going to the relay.

rokytnji

Worked for me wiring my kick only softail chopper built by me. <<<< click url for picture. You will have to add horn ckt is all.

No electric start. High beam and low beam work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Kmo13 View Post
    I said I’m gonna look stupid but my questions did get answer lol. so I’ll add a light switch and a start solenoid to the list... gotta learn some how

LOL It's all good and yes you have to learn sometime..... And asking questions is how you learn.... You don't need a starter solenoid....

Get Adobe Flash player

Put a 3 position key switch on it. First click power to start. second click turns on your lights. Just like whats in that diagram that I noticed after I posted

Get Adobe Flash player

Look up the easy riders tech tips n tricks. There is an entire volume dedicated to simplified wiring harnesses. Find out what you need, what you don't and draw yourself a diagram. I second the 3 position switch, you want all of your battery power going to your coil when you're running a kick only bike, having your lights on will just take away from it, ironheads can be finnicky enough as kick only bikes, you don't wanna make it worse on yourself.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey man, you're doing a hi/lo switch, but would a three-way switch work with a "light's off" position? Might be handy to be able to turn the lights on and off when you want to. Would a regular three-way switch just go right in where you'd put the hi/lo, two-way?

Get Adobe Flash player

Wait? why would you need a starter solenoid if there is no starter?!

If you have a battery having your lights on while kicking is almost zero power draw from the coil.

here is the worlds simplest wiring diagram:

Wire your head light, stop light, tail light to a breaker. Hook your dist wire to your coil, wire your coil to a separate breaker. Wire both those breakers to an off off switch. Wire the on off switch to a battery. Wire the generator direct to the battery. All done.

Or put a mag on your bike and don't worry about wiring shit.

Share This