Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bbqbiker
    • May 2015

Saying goodbye

A good friend is losing his battle with cancer a good man that I have been privileged to know and share many good times with.

You had an amazing life Perry Cooper and I will always remember the stories you told around the fire in the Pine grove. For 40 years your friends have been making the pilgrimage to the Pinegrove to hang out with you share those stories and have the best time of the year with you.

It’s been an honor to drink smoke eat and laugh with you around your fire every summer and you will be missed more than I can say by all of us

Your Pinegrove was a little slice of heaven on earth but I’m sure there’s one where you’re going so keep the fire lit for us and we will all meet you there.

I’m taking a ride this Saturday to Colchester Vermont where he is in hospice. Gonna need a drink after I leave.

He had a LOT of friends!
  • TravelingBone
    • Aug 2016

Sorry to hear about your friend. It always sucks to lose someone.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Man it's never easy, I've lost several good friends in the last ten years to cancer and like I told govmule just the other day the older you get, it will happen more often than you like but all you can do is remember them and the good times..... It's never easy............

Spend as much time as you can while your up there and ride safe.....

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Bummer .....
        Tis always a tug on the heart to loose a dear friend ....

To quote a Kentucky Boy ....

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
        ― Hunter S. Thompson
        Last edited by Dragstews; 10-19-2017, 9:32 AM.
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• rokytnji
          • Apr 2024

Don't know him or you. But will pour a shot of Jack Daniels onto the parking lot in front of the shop anyways.

I'm still paying on major cancer surgery just done on my baby. Might even sell a few things to cover the bill.
          Cancer aint no joke.

Comment

• Benny74
            • Sep 2016

Sorry to hear about your friend. Be happy about the times you had, rather than sad about the times lost. Cancer fucking sucks, we lost my sisters father in law to it last year, he was an awesome guy but we talk about him all the time still.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Not enough people talk about dying so I do.

Be there to listen if he can speak, and if not, be there as you can. I spent a lot of time reading and recounting the past to my father and wife. My sister did the same with my mom. Your gift of gab will serve you well.

We all die and each loss is training for the next. I'll make arrangements to die alone if practical since I prefer not to inflict grief on others, but everyone is different.

When you see the ears take on a mottled coloration you'll know death is very close.

As we die, we cease to need food and eventually water except for moistening the lips and tongue. You'll see staff use ice chips in a spoon etc and can do that when you are there for some interaction.

At the very last stage the patient is usually in deep coma. There's some evidence people can hear at their last, even after their last breath and even if technically comatose. When you eventually attend someone at their moment of death, wait a bit with them after. The last breath is usually very different. You'll never forget the sound.

Attending the dying is an honor. It is hard. You will be different afterwards. In what way is up to you.

Comment

• Bbqbiker
                • May 2015

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. This truly sucks but I was with him at his home last weekend and he’s in a good state of mind and has stated “I had a good run” and then he went to hospice on Monday.

I asked “Perry is there anything you need or I can do for you?” He replied “FISH”

So I’m going to make a him a really good Haddock Au Gratin and deliver it to him this Saturday. It’ll make him happy and we can talk for awhile. He’s extremely tired and can take visitors for a limited amount of time.

His time is short and I’ll do what I can for him

Thanks again fellas

Comment

• nuklhd
                  • Sep 2013

so sorry to hear of such a good man passing on soon. watching cancer take someone is a terrible thing and is brutal most times for the patient.
                  my beautiful wife was diagnosed with cancer at 50 years old. I took care of her 24/7 and she passed holding my hand at home. I would do it again but like farmall said I won't put others thru it. i'll jump of a bridge before my now wife has to watch.
                  bbq, tell Perry i'll say a prayer for him and his new spot in the next grove he will be sitting at.

Comment

• juliangrea
                    • Sep 2017

I don't know anyone here. but i only wanted to say this.

I'm two years in remission. it's not easy to deal with n survive. but it's much harder watching someone close lose the battle. I've been on both sides now. battled it and lost my great grandfather, dad n uncle to cancer. God bless him and his family. God bless your's as well. me n my boys will take a shot for your friend.

Comment

• KevinN
                      • May 2014

Sorry you lost your friend. I lost my brother October 4th. He was six days in hospice care. I never left him. It was tough. He was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer almost two years ago. He put up a hell of a fight.

Comment

• hillcat
                        • Mar 2015

Sorry to hear about your friend.
                        Everyone has lost a loved one or friend to it.
                        Ride while you can, don't make excuses why you can't. Make excuses for the other shit as in "Sorry, can't do it, I have to go ridin'.
                        Be excellent to each other.

Comment

• Strangler
                          • Mar 2015

Best wishes for a good visit with your friend.

Comment

• amandanunes
                            • Oct 2017

Sorry you lost your companion. I lost my companion October fourth. He was six days in hospice mind. I never left him. It was extreme make my assignment. He was determined to have arrange four lung growth very nearly two years prior. He set up one serious battle.

Comment

• vanderkalin
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by farmall
                              Not enough people talk about dying so I do.

Be there to listen if he can speak, and if not, be there as you can. I spent a lot of time reading and recounting the past to my father and wife. My sister did the same with my mom. Your gift of gab will serve you well.

We all die and each loss is training for the next. I'll make arrangements to die alone if practical since I prefer not to inflict grief on others, but everyone is different.

When you see the ears take on a mottled coloration you'll know death is very close.

As we die, we cease to need food and eventually water except for moistening the lips and tongue. You'll see staff use ice chips in a spoon etc and can do that when you are there for some interaction.

At the very last stage the patient is usually in deep coma. There's some evidence people can hear at their last, even after their last breath and even if technically comatose. When you eventually attend someone at their moment of death, wait a bit with them after. The last breath is usually very different. You'll never forget the sound.

Attending the dying is an honor. It is hard. You will be different afterwards. In what way is up to you.
                              Did this for my sister, fucking said a lot of shit I wish I'd said years earlier, was with her for her last breath, hope she heard me and that she had some peace instead of shear terror. You are a wise man dude, even if I don't remember the sound of her last breath, the overall experience is something I still remember clearly 7 years after. Wasn't cancer but a drug over dose caused by a gang rape decades earlier followed by some shitty if well meaning parenting by my mom. Didn't find out about this till the day after her death. Sorry for sharing so much, your post brought it all back dude.
                              Last edited by vanderkalin; 10-22-2017, 3:04 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;