CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Frank's Forks Question

I'm slowly but surely making my Stock Sporty look good and while the road to hoe is still long, I plan on doing a poor man's chop on her. Frank's Forks seem to be the general consensus for the best forks. My question is, as someone who has a proven track record of being bad at physics, what are the pro's and cons of going 4-6" over with a stock rake and 21" front?

I'm a broke ass student so I'm trying to make my bike mine but also still eat .... and drink. Any advice would be appreciated.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have 8 overs on my sporty with a 19” wheel putting me at about the same as the setup you’re describing.

The pros:

Rides great and straight in the highway
    Looks cool

The cons:

Much more sluggish handling, especially at parking lot speeds.
    Kickstand mount gets blown out from the gangsta lean, giving you the limop dick syndrome where your kickstand is always at half mast.
    Raises the seat height, so if you have short legs like me start and stop traffic is a bitch.

Hope that helps!

Get Adobe Flash player

It does, thanks man. Glad to hear its not sketchy on the highway. My rake and trail I.Q. ain't the best but I've heard it can get dodgy unless you get a new tree, but if I'm going that deep in the hole might as well go proper chopper.

Thanks again.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanebrax View Post
    It does, thanks man. Glad to hear its not sketchy on the highway. My rake and trail I.Q. ain't the best but I've heard it can get dodgy unless you get a new tree, but if I'm going that deep in the hole might as well go proper chopper.

Thanks again.
    People go 4-6 over all the time with stock rake. Putting a 21 on isn't going to raise your bike up that much either. It'll take a bit of time to get used to the new front end geometry but I wouldn't worry about it making your bike unrideable by any means. Just take a bit of time to get used to it before you go eating corners at 80+ mph.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm running 10 overs with stock rake... no issues. Handles fine. Definitely go with Frank's too.

Get Adobe Flash player

You can throw down a bit of a rake with a kit that replaces the stock fork cups ...

Hey Bud,
    I'm running 8+ with a 21" spool and narrow pullback bars. Runs down the road straight as an arrow. Really not bad at slow speeds, if you have decent balance. Leans like a son of a bitch though. I'm going 12+ this winter with narrow rabbit bars. Should be fun!! Enjoy your build!

Pogo

I ran +6 with stock rake then later installed some 3 degree cups with stock mag wheels. No issues but like pogo said it does like to lean, i dont run rabbits bars but have some narrow pullback and it just takes a few days to get used to it and how it handles. definitely go with Frank's, wish I got the +8s

Share This