Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beerisgoodforme
    • Jun 2016

Headlights, what are these?

Can anyone identify these headlights and where I can get a pair? or something similar
    Cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	panhead-chopper-progress-dual-headlight-mount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	1341896

Name:	panhead-chopper-progress-full-shot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	1341897
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

Those look like Hella brand lights.
    On a custom mount.
    Check the swap meets and classifieds and such...
    They hella dim, yo

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sky
      Those look like Hella brand lights.
      On a custom mount.
      Check the swap meets and classifieds and such...
      They hella dim, yo
      Yep, Aries also made some like them...... They were just a little bigger....

Comment

• vonhelmet
        • May 2010

There's a nice pair for sale in the classifieds right now.

Comment

• Benny74
          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by beerisgoodforme
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]79224[/ATTACH]
          That stand makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
            • Apr 2012

Those are period driving lights or sometimes fog lights. Back in the late 60s thru early 1980s almost any auto part supplier offered them in a kit. I Think I might have some old Jammer, AEE or Gary Bang catalogs where they were also marked up and sold for choppers as well. But back in the day I have vivid memories of buying those lights at a KMart and other type stores and mounting them on various cars. (My Nova, Chevelle, Old chevy truck, My buddies German Capri, 1980s VW Rabbit, Datsun 510s-look at any owner modifed cars in those periods and you will these old crappy lights on them).

I have some old vintage ones here if you like, sold a set 2 years ago still new in the box (Time warp, still had the price tag on them) I also have new replacement glass lenses for some of these in old dealer stock.

These LOOK cool on a chopper but are utterly crap-tastic-al for lights, Thy were what they were for the time, but by todays standards they are useless. NOW,, if you were to retrofit them with modern innards or LED,, then you might have something!

The mount in that picture is custom made, I have 2 of the typical mounts sold for choppers I saw just last night in storage,. If I have more I am debating putting together a kit with lights and brackets for a period cool chopper and selling them, but I have a couple projects (period 70s style chops) that are getting 2 I have. But I am sure I have more. I can post a pix if you like.

But there is a old Joe Walsh album with 2 choppers and the band members sitting on them that always seemed super cool to me, So I am building some chops in that style. (Not exactly,,,but that old 70s style). In the picture it looks slightly weird as on Joes bike, the lights are turned sideways.

Stay tuned, Im posting up a bunch of stuff in classifieds that is all old chopper shop stuff (Got some period foot pegs and other stuff up there now) and posting up a old BSA and Tricor lighting kits soon, plus other chopper stuff and old books and magazines
            But someone in LA keeps posting old headlights for a LOT of money (Good for you if you can get the $$$$$) but look for my new ad tonight on the NEW Style headlights as well, super cool.

(and yes, i bought these albums new off the rack along with Ted Nugent, Steve Miller, Doobie Brothers)

Name:	james_gang_rides_again-ABCS-711-1274218023.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1298332

Comment

• xriccix
              • Nov 2015

also check out "dixie standard" headlights.

Comment

• Blackbetty
                • Apr 2011

There's a few tricks you can do to these headlights with minimal effort to actually make them work as headlights.

I've been running these on my shovel for 2-3 years

Comment

• beerisgoodforme
                  • Jun 2016

thanks all for the info, appreciated !

Comment

• chopperbob1313
                    • Jun 2015

Hella or Aries (sp?) they're always on ebay.

Comment

• Well60man
                      • Jan 2016

Not to be two years behind, but how did you retrofit them? Picked up a pair and want to be able to see when I mount them.

Comment

• MOTher
                        • Sep 2012

In the first pic are some small lights. The Bates 5 3/4" lights are there for size reference. The 2 on the right are Stanley. The top one, in the middle, is a Hella (no visor) the others are LEP and Wipac. The red lensed one is another Japanese make I don't remember at the moment. All except the red lense were used as back up lights. The Hella on VWs, the Stanleys on old Honda Civic. (they also have the worst chrome.) The LEPs and Wipacs were used on various English cars.

Name:	lep1.jpg
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	1312415

Second pic is an old pair of halogen fog or driving lights. You should be able to pick these up at yard sales, flea markets, ebay. If you can, look at the sockets for the bulbs and make sure you can use them. Some are made as part of the reflector, and those don't work as well.

Name:	lep3.jpg
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	1312416

Third pic is a pair of the LEPs converted to halogen. These are H1 single beam units. Tips: Try to get the filament about the same distance from the reflector as the original bulbs so it will have a similar focus. Use original JB weld. It stands up to the heat better than the JB quick. As with any halogen bulb, don't touch the "glass" part with your bare fingers. It will shorten the life of the bulb.

Name:	lep2.jpg
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	1312417

This was all done some years back, before LED technology had advanced as far as it is now. If I were doing it today, I'd look into doing something similar with LEDs They draw less power, and don't run as hot.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;