Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowerider
    • Sep 2017

Identifying an old springer

Hoping to get some help on identifying this old springer I just picked up. I've searched through the big thread on jockey journal and looked at pics on this site. A few are close but none were really conclusive. The previous owner said it was for a '72 "BSA/HD". It's certainly rusty enough to be that old.

The front legs are tubing and the rear legs are solid 1/2 rounds.

Distance from top of the middle clamp to the axle holes is 36". Distance between the legs is 4 3/4". Clearance between the bolts on the rockers is 3 1/2".

Front and back legs are both stamped with "618970"

Based on the simple rockers and basic shape of the legs, could this be an early Paughco? Probably a 6-over narrow?

Any insights would be cool. I'll be cleaning it up and replacing a few parts so knowing the mfg would be helpful. Thanks.

Also, is it possible to replace the stem assembly? I don't know how to remove those things...

• 47str8leg
    • Sep 2014

Looks like a paughco narrow to me. Call them up and ask about the numbers.

Comment

• lowerider
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by 47str8leg
      Looks like a paughco narrow to me. Call them up and ask about the numbers.
      Spoke with Paughco and they identified this as a 9-over, narrow half round springer, built in ’97. Model #180-9.

Comment

• FFTTG
        • Apr 2024

Hey,

i'm about to buy a springer frontend. I don't know yet if there's a number on it. Can anybody help and tell me what kind of fork it is? Paughco, Jammer, something else? And what's the highest i should pay for this?
        Here are some pics...Thank you for any help!!!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180929-222800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1305546

Name:	Screenshot_20180929-222821.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1305547

Name:	Screenshot_20180929-222831.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1305548

Name:	Screenshot_20180929-222845.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1305549

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Way more info needed.... What does it fit etc?????

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by FFTTG
            Hey,

i'm about to buy a springer frontend. I don't know yet if there's a number on it. Can anybody help and tell me what kind of fork it is? Paughco, Jammer, something else? And what's the highest i should pay for this?
            Here are some pics...Thank you for any help!!!
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]87715[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]87716[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]87717[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]87718[/ATTACH]

Looks like an early Jammer I had; or very similar. on the one I had (below), the top of the front leg came up a bit higher above the lower spring perch, so maybe a later Paughco.
            Is the wheel included with the springer? how long is it? What condition is it?

Name:	Z1105 chop,1, May 31, 2018, 3.JPG
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1305550
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• FFTTG
              • Apr 2024

Thanks for your answer! I just have these pics at the moment but he said it never was on the street. Including the 21“ wheel it's round about 4,9 ft long. So it's about 4 ft without it. The wheel would be included.
              Do you think it's also an old wheel, because i just know this from lowbrowcustoms as mini drum brake. He said he owns the hole thing since 20 years.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

Sounds good. The rockers, lower leg taper, 'D-shaped' back leg, upper spring perch location and springs with inners, all look Jammer or Paughco. Front wheel look like a Hallcraft small brake.

What ya gonna put it on?
                If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• FFTTG
                  • Apr 2024

That's really helpful, perfect.
                  How much would you pay for something like that? I'm from Germany and it's not that often you find it here.

Maybe i'll put it on a Triumph T 120 in a rigid frame. I will find something for sure
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

That's a really nice looking springer..... I would say at least $1000.00 with that wheel.... Could be even more if the chrome looks real nice in person...

Good luck...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

Yup, ^^^ that was the number I had tooo - try $800 to start.

Comment

• Rumbdenstock
                        • Oct 2018

Looking for some help identify some forks. I bought a old trike to rebuild, the old lady I bought it from said her husband build it back in the 90's. She said she thought the Springer forks came off a late 50's early 60's soft tail. But it can't cause it has disc brakes, so my thoughts it should be some time after 72. It has no markings on it that I can find.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Rumbdenstock
                          Looking for some help identify some forks. I bought a old trike to rebuild, the old lady I bought it from said her husband build it back in the 90's. She said she thought the Springer forks came off a late 50's early 60's soft tail. But it can't cause it has disc brakes, so my thoughts it should be some time after 72. It has no markings on it that I can find.
                          What about some pics??? Your description isn't very helpful... What's a late 50s early 60s softail look like? Softail didn't come out until 1985...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;