CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Recommendations on Which Direction to Go

Had this bike couple years now, went through various stages and finally settled in to a somewhat “norcalish” style. Just at a point now where I am kinda bored with it.

Been contemplating various things: I have had it up for sale for a while now but really no bites. Considered parting ways with it if a good offer comes along.

With that said I am not that eager to sell it. In the meantime, which darn direction should I go with this thing.

I was thinking more “norcal”. Keeping it swingarm but making it look not as contemporary. Maybe a longer springer, girder, or just longer tubes. Maybe powder coating the frame a different color.

Examples:

Or, do I go full chopper? I have been eyeing the David Bird bolt on hardtails. I don’t have much welding skill. Never was a big fan of bolt on hardtails but the David Bird ones look clean.

Other ideas appreciated!
    Last edited by garystaven88; 10-03-2017 at 6:07 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

All those bikes are good looking bikes, Yours also the way it is now......But I've always really liked the digger style bikes myself..............

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks,

I think I am going to keep it the way it is and do little things along the way such as shaving the fork lowers and a slimmer seat.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by garystaven88 View Post
    Thanks,

I think I am going to keep it the way it is and do little things along the way such as shaving the fork lowers and a slimmer seat.
    I think that's a Damn good idea......... Like I said above your bike looks great as it is....... But those changes will make it look even better.....

SamHain

I'm not a huge fan of your rear struts/fender or seat. That's the direction I'd go.

And I'd suggest paint over powder coat. I fucking hate powder coated frames looks thick and shitty, and is a nightmare to remove.

Get Adobe Flash player

No nightmare for me thanks to my local monument company sand blaster. I wouldn't blast my own frames if I had a blast pot and big air. Grit in yer taint thatch and bodily orifices gets old quick...

SamHain

Yeah, not a fan. I used to sandblast, doesn't come off even, or thorough. Then you have a shitty sandblasted finish. I'm a fan of the smooth thin factory lacquer, not to say colored frames don't look good. Just have to be done good.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SamHain View Post

And I'd suggest paint over powder coat. I fucking hate powder coated frames looks thick and shitty,
    Not if the person doing it knows what they are doing.....

SamHain

Guess I've never seen good powdercoat. Fine for indutrial applications, not aesthetics.

Get Adobe Flash player

Guess I've never seen good powdercoat. Fine for indutrial applications, not aesthetics.
    I use to always paint my frames and I might again in the future.... But the last 5 frames that I built bikes from were powder coated... I had him use 70% gloss as it looks stock.... It's tough and it doesn't chip as easy as paint.....

But if anyone doesn't like it I can understand.......

Get Adobe Flash player

All the powder coat, paint, molding and corrosion come off my frames and other parts.

I say I want everything to bare metal except what I mask with metal tape or plug with clear RTV, and that's what I get. Blaster says that isn't shit compared to cutting letters in granite grave markers.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    I use to always paint my frames and I might again in the future.... But the last 5 frames that I built bikes from were powder coated... I had him use 70% gloss as it looks stock.... It's tough and it doesn't chip as easy as paint.....

But if anyone doesn't like it I can understand.......
    I didn't like powder either until I found the right shop that makes it look better than factory gloss, more like glass.

Man I like the style you posted for sedate flat road touring with the lady on the back, but holy hell are they boring for any other kind of road riding especially in piss poor road conditions.
    I'd go early XLCH style, get a stock fender and tail light and get a bates or something similar, some high shocks and maybe a 35mm dual disc, keep it on the cheap and you'll have way more fun with it. The more I ride the more I want something like a 450 dual sport that doesn't beat the piss outta me and I can still ride really hard on backroads.
    Last edited by seaking; 10-09-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm not a huge fan of your rear struts/fender or seat. That's the direction I'd go.

And I'd suggest paint over powder coat. I fucking hate powder coated frames looks thick and shitty, and is a nightmare to remove.
    Yea it seems most “norcal style” Sportsters from the 60s era use the straight fender struts with either a stock full fender or a cut fender like the examples I posted. The curved struts are I think maybe Smith & Fetrow but I may consider changing that up. I definitely want a slimmer seat that goes more with the curve of the fender.

Get Adobe Flash player

Which direction to go??

Well, the bike looks good, I'd say swing a leg over it and head North.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bill_ray_13.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	79323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83755fb70c8aa9ed028f35a56bb8b760.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	79324

When I think about Ironheads, this is what I think about, especially Dougie Poo's (left first pick, and the right pic). Someday.

Share This