CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Would like pictures of and tips for hardtail setups for a school project

Hi, im making a bobber from a gpx600r for my school project, ive cut of the rear frame and now im going to weld on a hardtail. However I dont know the best setup for the wheel "holder" in this situation. Id appreciate ideas on how to do this and maybe pictures of hardtails people on the forum own. Thanks in advance

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Image searches are a thing. Learn to use them. It's your project, get good at research.

Post side, top and rear photos of the motorcycle YOU are working on for useful advice.

Study the terms you'll need to know. For example the plates which locate rear axles are referred to as "axle plates".

Interesting machine:

http://bubblevisor.blogspot.com/2011...s-gpx600r.html

Learn to ask very specific questions. A few evenings of research will help.

You should figure out how to make your mods square to the original frame. Are you taking a welding or machine shop class?

What equipment do you have access to?

Details, details, details. You need to know them to do the job and we need to know them to help.

Digital levels and angle finders are wonderful things and don't cost much. Do NOT eyeball important parts.

http://weldingweb.com/ has a lot of very useful content of welders of any skill level.

That's a very interesting bike to hardtail. Like farmall said, post some pictures, ask some questions. I'm curious to see how it goes.

Get Adobe Flash player

As ugly as the factory frame and tank is I'm not sure I wouldn't build a complete frame. It's not that much more work and the results would be way better.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

A frame jig would be a good school project and enable OP to do a frame or hardtail easily.

Using school to build tools is good training, and you get to enjoy the jig for life.

Hi, sorry I am new to this forum and do not know the features... could you tell me where the image search is located? I have access to welding equipment but no a professional tube bender or frame holder, Ive practiced welding for a few hours and know the very basics. My grandpa (who is a mechanic) says these basics are enough to weld the hadtail on as I will only ride it a few times (it was crashed before and was very cheap so its way to much work and money registering it again), hopefully gives you a bit more details also thank you a lot for the helping me with the axle plates!

Default here is a pcicture of what i have right now (minus the rear suspension which is gone

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170903_174316.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	79137

Get Adobe Flash player

Please stop rite there....... The "basics" of welding are for one, not learned in a few hours and are no where near what you need to weld something that your life is relying on.... it is not completely necessary to have a jig for a hard tail but it does not seem like you have the experience needed to do it without. I am all about people learning and doing it themselves but fab work is not something you can just jump rite into and tackle projects like this.... start slow and learn the correct way to do things.....

My bad for not communicating clearly, i will NOT be riding this bike. its just for learning, i will weld it and then sell the motor and throw away the frame. Maybe i will ride it around the parking lot once for fun.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Einar2613 View Post
    My bad for not communicating clearly, i will NOT be riding this bike.

Can I ask why???????????

Get Adobe Flash player

Learn to weld properly. If you are just mindlessly tacking shit together that won't help and wastes valuable shop time you should be spending under the hood.

You need every hour of welding time you can get. Compared to welding, playing fiddlefuck with some junk bike is a waste of time.
    Forget what you think you should be doing since you haven't yet learned what you should be doing. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

A few hours is barely a start. Get back to welding. Get good at it and welding will serve you for life. You can play with junk bike parts outside of class. Learning to weld involves long hours of relentless repetition for each process. When not welding, read about welding and fitting and theory and gases and fillers. Understand how easy it is to make defective "cold" welds with MIG. Failure can be deadly.

Had an eye exam in the last year? Assumption they can see is a common student mistake. I ran a welding school toolroom where I kept different fixed shade and "cheater" magnifying lenses so students could test to see what works for them. It paid off in reduced waste, better work and much happier students.

It's fine to be excited, but do NOT get ahead of yourself. If you tend to do that, pay a hobo to kerbie your nutsack until you attack all your tasks with calm thoroughness.

You'll be much happier if you do it right the first time.

Yes, the bike was crashed by previous owner, I bought it for 1000 sek running. In sweden I am not allowed to register it again as original vehicle and registration as custom vehicle would cost way more than the bike cost. Plus its just a school project and a fun experiment for me to learn some mechanical skills

Finished welding it today, turned out good for my experience levelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171015_155951.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	79312Click image for larger version. 

ID:	79312

Get Adobe Flash player

Excellent! Just do it!

Get Adobe Flash player

Some not so random thoughts, in no particular order...

I wouldn't trust that rear end to hold up the weight of the motor.
    Add some gussets at least...
    Penetration
    Have you heard of destructive testing?
    Practice on some scrap, see what it takes to rip apart your welds.
    Less force than you'd think.

We all gotta start somewhere... But
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
    They have racetracks in Sweden? Need papers to race on 'em? Is there a "bobber" class?

On that note, for your school project...

Define what you started with and where you're going with it.
    A junk stock sportbike? Street fighter?
    What is a bobber to you?
    An aesthetic choice or a purpose-built machine?
    What is that purpose?
    A skateboard can make it down the driveway...

Are you creating an object for a grade or hopping to pick up some life skills?

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Einar2613 View Post
    Finished welding it today, turned out good for my experience levelClick image for larger version. 

ID:	79312Click image for larger version. 

ID:	79312
    your experience level is going to get you killed. You cannot just stick square tubing on a frame and butt weld it, no one can and those are some terrible welds, no way to adjust the chain, it setting on a shitty floor propped up with wood. And you call that finished. This has to be some kind of joke. Here's the proper way to do it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3292.jpg   IMG_3291.jpg  

Jesus fucking christ, read the thread, I will NOT, I repeat NOT be riding this bike, and yeah it is kind shit but its good fun and practice.

Not sure id trust it either, ill tell you if it falls off when I test ride ����
    Ive done some testing but with a different type of welder, I used a MIG for this.
    No bobber class and ive already got a dirtbike to race
    Im creating it for experience and for grade,
    Thanks!

Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

You did say you might ride it around the parking lot just once, then that turns into maybe just a little more. It probably will not take the weight of the engine. Then you mention a test ride. That my friend is not riding it. You clearly have intentions on riding it

Share This