Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Christian200
    • Sep 2017

Thunderheart wiring

What’s up guys. Just picked up a carbed 05 softail standard. It needs work and I’ve been gathering around some parts. I’m going for a “bobber” look and I’m not too sure what system to use for the ignition. I’m a newb and I never worked on a bike to this scale but I figure I gotta start somewhere right? Laid my previous bike down and it was completely totaled. My biggest regret was not fixing the bike to my liking. anyway ..I’m leaning more towards a thunderheart ignition but I can’t seem to find enough information about them. Besides from what their manuals explain. Just wondering what will I need to do to wire the switches, turn signals, head & taillights. I apologize in advance if none of this makes sense. I’d appreciate any information I can get. My guess is I’d wire them to the switch just like how the stock one is wired up?
    *braces self for all the shit I might get thrown my way* ahaha
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Shitstorm inbound! (Just kidding, for now...)
    [B]
    Thoroughly describe the current condition of the motorcycle and what parts you ordered and why. Pics are useful.

Get the factory service manual and parts book ASAP. Ronnie's HD has many factory parts catalogs online so you can use that in the meantime.

Study basic wiring diagrams while you accumulate a proper, professional bench stock of bare crime connectors, heat shrink tubing, crimpers, wire strippers, a multimeter and an incandescent test light (cheap is fine, incandescent bulbs are loads which is why I prefer them for most testing).

Best way to get useful advice is to ask specific questions. "Enough information" means fuck all.

Thunderheart have schematics. Google "thunderheart schematics" which crosses to their "owners manual". Learn to use search engines. Most people don't really make the effort to learn what search strings work. It's free and saves mad money so do it.

Holy fuck oh shit oh dear! What might this be???

You need to learn the language of technology. It changes your life.

"Simplified schematic" and similar search terms like "simplified wiring diagram will help.

View motorcycles as systems of systems. Sketch your system wiring, for example charging and ignition and lighting.

Study what any component you don't understand does.

All this stuff goes quick with the internet. You live in the best era to build a custom motorcycle.

A pushbutton solenoid cover eliminates the absolute requirement for the stock kill switch and starter button, but they are very fucking useful for riding in the real world. I do suggest installing one though. They bypass a lot of stuff for emergency starts or just bumping the engine over.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Why are you starting with the ignition???????? What's wrong wit the bike like it is now????????? Is it running?????? Can you ride it?????????? Tell us more............

Comment

• Christian200
        • Sep 2017

I looked up simplified wiring diagrams and now I know where to begin. Thanks man. That was the only thing stopping me. I found the bike on Craigslist for a steal. The dude just had it in his yard letting it die. He seemed petty wealthy so I wasn’t surprised ahaha. I rode it home and it would jerk at low rpms. Primary was a bit loose so I tightened it up and cleaned the carb a bit, changed the oil. So far so good but I should probably give the carb a thorough clean soon. And as for why I’m doing this is simple. Who the hell wants a stock bike.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Before you start ripping and stripping., get everything serviced, ALL fluids replaced including fork oil, and ride it for a while to eliminate any bugs instead of missing them and having to fight that shit later.

I'd disassemble and soak carb, dump everything out of the fuel tank and remove the fuel valve to make sure that's clean.

Inspect spark plugs. Post pics if in doubt.

Changing parts without thoughtful planning leads to mistakes and thrashing. While sorting out the stock machine you can get your stuff and your knowledge base ready to mod as you see fit.

Then post your proposed schematic and mods for feedback before starting work.

Parts replacement should serve a clearly defined goal. The stock carb is a good piece so I wouldn't replace it unless it was damaged. Rejetting to remove EPA-mandated lean settings is a good idea and a normal part of the "Harley tax".

When you have the end cover off your solenoid to install a pushbutton end cap, inspect the contacts for burning. Denso starters are great but contacts do burn and wear. Kits are cheap and easy to install.

I pull a cold compression test for reference on every bike that comes in the shop . Measurement is better than assumption, because assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Inspect your cam chain guide shoes! This is why:

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Christian200
            And as for why I’m doing this is simple. Who the hell wants a stock bike.

Because it's cool as hell to ride them in 20 years......... And they give less problems......

But custom is also cool........ I don't blame you a ST standard is a great bike to chop....
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Tattooo; 09-30-2017, 1:41 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Listen to Farmall he is giving you straight up advice..........

Comment

• Christian200
                • Sep 2017

Got it man. I’ll definitely ride it more before I get started. I’ll post some pictures for more feed back when I get stuck and when I get to the wiring. Thanks for the advice man. Now all I need to find is time. Probably the hardest part haha

Comment

• Christian200
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Tattooo
                  Because it's cool as hell to ride them in 20 years......... And they give less problems......

But custom is also cool........ I don't blame you a ST standard is a great bike to chop....

Yea you got a point ahah.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;