Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jhax
    • Jan 2013

It's like anything you buy from vTwin, Taiwan ted, or the like. They don't use the same system of measurement as we do in the states. Getting "precision" machined parts from overseas to fit US manufactured bearings(harley bearings come from Mexico these days anyway) is a long shot at best. I had the same issue with the axle on my lowbrow lowers. Turned the axle down a hair and now it fits perfectly. As for lowbrow, have nothing but good things to say about their customer service.

Comment

• Salty
      • Sep 2010

As lowbrow and biltwell have become the custom chrome and drag of yester year, the inexperienced guys in the "chopper" scene when buying bolt on chopper parts assume they will just work. I will not assume anything about the OP but when buying a bolt on part the consumer shouldn't have to immediately take the position of an experienced machinist, measure and mic everything and in turn, turn down the axle when an unacceptable fit is the main issue.

Very few people "build" choppers anymore.

Comment

• nickey
        • Feb 2013

I just ordered a set of these. Came in today and they look great! Be a few days before I’m able to install them but I put a wheel I had sitting around in them and the axle slid right in. It’s a stock wheel. 3/4 sealed bearings. 00-03 sportster.

My issue is there was no mention on their site about spacers! I assumed(shame on me) that since they say they will work with your 39mm fork internals that id just need the lowers. Nope. Just eyeing it I’ll need new spacers. I could be wrong though. I’ll know for sure when I get my stock front end apart.

If the stock spacers don’t work, Is anyone else running these and a stock spoked wheel from 00-03 sporty? What size spacers am I gonna need? I don’t have the tools to make my own. Hence me buying bolt on parts. And if I have to make something work, any suggestions on what to use? Got the usual parts stores in town, tractor supply, Home Depot, auto places, etc. Would like to get it together before the weekend and not wait another week on parts.

Comment

• apachegeorge
          • Dec 2014

I just got a set myself for a 89fxr front end going on a chopper project. Perfect fit, no issues. Of course spacers must be made for custom axle & wheel fitment. I highly doubt you can buy bolt on anything for sealed bearing/a custom part. Its easy man, Just center your wheel, get a little caliper, and measure the space between the lowers and the wheel hub. CAll someone with the specs....There are plenty of companies that turn down spacers. Ebay, google it for starters, and I'm sure members here would be able to help. Good luck man!

Comment

• apachegeorge
            • Dec 2014

dude, lowbrow is great. They sent me FREE overnight shipping on a part i needed timely, I just asked. Tony is awesome. How in the fuck did you fuck that up? There is no bearing that goes on larger part of the axle homie. It slides in the lowers, then you bolt down the bottom allen. Dats it! hahaha i'm just sayin
            Specializing in custom motorcycle parts and accessories for Chopper and Bobber motorcycles. Aftermarket parts for Harley Davidson Sportster, Triumph Bonneville, Yamaha XS 650 and many more. FREE SHIPPING ON ALL US ORDERS OVER $99!

Comment

• woz
              • Mar 2012

To the OP, what front wheels do you have? Harley switched from 3/4" to 25mm sometime around 2007, its possible you have a later wheel or a wheel with 25mm bearings. If so you should be able to swap to 3/4" bearings no problem and use the provided axle.

But like everyone else has said, get some calipers and measure stuff.

Comment

• seaking
                • Jul 2013

To clarify, the stock HD axle is at .740" at the bearing surface for tapered bearings. Custom shops size their CNC axles a few thousandths up assuming that you'll run sealed bearings and a spool to leave no play in the setup. Play is bad in sealed bearings, not in tapered.

So any custom shop is going to size their axles to either tapered or sealed bearings, and that's where confusion ensues. They can either:

A. Send the customer another part with likely different tolerances. Lowbrow did the right thing 100%. I don't think this is a chicom issue since the part was likely CNC to begin with.

B. You don't have deep pockets like lowbrow, so send the customer off on some wild goose chase in confusion and hope they don't call back.

The OP could try freezing the axle overnight and slapping it together with the bearings at room temp. That should give that thousandth needed for the axles to fit.

If that doesn't work? Chuck the axle up, preferably in a lathe but any chuck *yes a drill* would work if you mic the part properly. Sand it evenly and lightly since only a few thousandths are needed for the axle to fit.

Also, a tip for you yahoos that buy your bearings, chain and other chicom crap off ebay because it says it'll fit a pan, shovel, or sporty: "Applied Tech" is in nearly every incorporated city in the country and sells USA made stuff for far less and 99% of it is in stock, just measure the OD/ID or get the part no. off the bearing.

For those that don't expect builders to measure? Mics are cheaper than most measuring tapes, HF sells digital mics for around ten dollars and most good mics are around thirty.
                Last edited by seaking; 11-28-2017, 9:17 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Got a link? I searched "applied tech" and got a bunch of generic hits.

Comment

• seaking
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by farmall
                    Got a link? I searched "applied tech" and got a bunch of generic hits.

"Applied Industrial Technologies"

Formerly Detroit Ball Bearing.

Usually if I pull a bearing and bring it in, they'll ID and supply minimum OEM or better and I'm out in five minutes. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but they're all HD fans and I think that helps.

Comment

• rallen4
                      • Jan 2017

I had to have my axle turned down a hair. Just put it on my 2001 Dyna. Stock wheel and spacers barely worked; will end up getting a spool.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7164.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1299523

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;