CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default CA title questions

Hi All,

So is it standard practice for the state of California to NOT list they vehicle year on a title of a special construction build? I am having trouble getting this a bike inspected because it lists the year of the bike as a 0000 instead of a 2007, even though the assigned vin number has the 10th digit as a 7, which would mean 2007. This bike has an aftermarket frame, motor and trans and was registered in CA for the first time in 07, but the title doesn't say the year.

Anyone run into that???

Thanks!
    Last edited by BurnoutNova; 09-12-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I did one in 2005, and I'm pretty sure it said 03 on title because that was year of frame.

Get Adobe Flash player

I really dont know much about California titles, But Ill add that I have a friend who built a few customs and was building up a
    couple customs to resell and fund what was his dream bike.
    Because so many other people were doing this, they changed the rules on him. He invested a LOT of money into a kit bike
    (All the rage around 2005 when he was building it) and planned to sell it when done. He yelled and screamed a LOT about
    this because about that time they passed a law at that time that you were limited to only 1 Special construction bike build
    in your name.
    This had the effect of shutting down garage builders from cranking out special construction builds for resale.
    He was rather angry about this, and effectively stuck with a bike he didnt want to keep and destroyed the dream of ever
    building his dream bike for his keeper.
    I was worried about this being a nationwide thing, and so have asked multiple times at my states DMV offices and central HQ
    and relieved that they thought I was crazy and never heard of this in my state. I dont want to give them any ideas either, but
    that would be a real bummer.

I looked online and there is a lot of other websites that come up, but on JJ this was discussed as well on a thread from
    2008 about the same time frame my buddy was dealing with this,,, same story:

" I was at my indy today, and he was telling me that they changed the law recently regarding special construction vehicles. He said due to EPA laws here in California, you are only allowed ONE special construction bike per lifetime (yes he said lifetime) and you had to wait 5 years before selling it. Hes a knowledgeable guy, but nobody told me jack about this at the DMV or the CHP station..."

So, might want to look into this, and might want to avoid a special construction title in Calif.

However only somewhat related, but it ALSO depnds on your insurance company but most insurance places get a little excited about
    special construction and "Assembled vehicles". So, I have built 2 kit cars and have a current project and so I made sure
    my kit car is titled and will be insured as a stock vehicle of the donor vehicle I am using,, NOT as a Kit car. Getting insurance is
    nearly impossible and very expensive for a kit car so as far as everyone is concerned i mildly restyled a stock car. Plus I picked a donor car
    that is exempt from vehicle inspections. (Pre 1975 for cars here locally)

But here is where it gets interesting,,, (or not). In SOME states and Insurance companies. If its a special construction or
    assembled vehicle title then it MUST comply with all laws for year of registration and title. That means if I titled one of my
    prewar rat rod coupes (1937 & 39) as a 2017 Special construction or "Assembled vehicle" as they call them in my state since I build them
    with a modern donor chassis... that means I have to comply with air bags, safety glass, anti lock brakes, and emissions.

So, I dont do that. I title them as the original car THEN modify them. Now....in SOME states I was told for some builds
    they want you to build 2 of the kit cars or special construction vehicles and hand one over for crash and safety testing.
    (No joke). Back in the 1980s I wanted to build a 63 split window coupe corvette using a race car body and Jegs tubular race car chassis
    and run it on the street. (Could not afford a real one, so build one myself). I was in the military at the time and in another
    state and thats what I was being told. That killed that dream on the spot. But I looked into this a couple years ago and
    some of the same rules still apply.

So, my point is here, Do your research and proceed accordingly. From all the people I know in Cali, the rules seem to vary greatly from one DMV and police station to the next. best of luck

Get Adobe Flash player

what doug says is true. California does kinda have the "one" spec con rule. its a epa exempt status for what you build. it so you can get around all the safety and smog shit, so you don't have to have a bike that doesn't have to adheres to factory standards. there are ways around it, ive had more than one epa exempt, register in different family memebers names or build bike for sale and let buyer deal with registration and exemption. when id did my 1st dmv said I could only have one exemption and I couldn't sell, was worried at the time but they still registered another in my name couple years later. sorry this is totally of op's og question.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just to clarify, this is not being registered in CA, it already has a CA title and I need to register it in another state. The trouble is the title doesnt have a year on it and the CA DMV says that is what they do to all of them! I don't think that they do?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
    Just to clarify, this is not being registered in CA, it already has a CA title and I need to register it in another state. The trouble is the title doesnt have a year on it and the CA DMV says that is what they do to all of them! I don't think that they do?
    I know in many states mine included when you apply for a builders title the year on the title is the one that is issued in..... If you got one now it would have 2017 on the title...... But CA might be different............

Get Adobe Flash player

I built a bike back in '99 & Calif. DMV registered it off of the "MSO"
    paper which stated the frame was manufactured in 1999. The
    VIN does not have 99 as part of the number.

I know the rules are always changing, especially in Commiefornia.
    This State is run by a bunch of Liberal Loonies that are bent on
    "Making Change" I remember a quote by one Calif Politician, I forget
    which one, But The Jerk said That..... We in California are setting the standard
    for all other States to follow by, When it comes to Regulation & Sustainability.

California is now an Over Regulated Nanny State & will probably get allot worse If
    these Asshole career liberal communist politicians remain in control.

They have even hinted at phasing out production of gasoline powered vehicles in 15 years.
    Good luck with that one, Not only would that decimate the economy, It would no doubt
    create severe backlash from the residents.

getting back to the Year issue....
    Personally I don't see why it really matters what "year" the bike is, If it is a custom build.
    The VIN Number will identify the vehicle. who gives a fuck what year the frame was made,
    I can see the validity of factory bikes where there are hundreds or thousands made, that
    look identical, Then the YEAR helps identify the vehicle, But a one off custom, The year
    does not mean squat.
    Last edited by Revelator; 09-16-2017 at 1:45 PM. Reason: mispell

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
    The year does not mean squat.
    It sure does to the state and local tax people and the insurance companies...... The older the bike is the cheaper they both are......

Get Adobe Flash player

California is now an Over Regulated Nanny State & will probably get allot worse If
    these Asshole career liberal communist politicians remain in control.

getting back to the Year issue....
    Personally I don't see why it really matters what "year" the bike is, If it is a custom build.
    Then the YEAR helps identify the vehicle, But a one off custom, The year
    does not mean squat.
    I would largely agree with you, Same in my state just North of the land of Fruits & Nuts, Our entire state is largely overruled by the peoples republic of Multnomah county with their smug car priuses and skinny lattes and organic produce. (Mr Hinky agrees)

But if your setup works for you, fine & dandy,.,, but as I earlier in perhaps too long winded of a post,
    IT CAN impact you as well by having to conform with safety & emissions standards for year. As you correctly noted, Kalifornia is mandating tighter and tighter emissions standards. Motorcycles are going forward not going to be exempt. So,,, anyone reading this should consider what a PIA it will be if you have to smog check and pass inspection on a custom because its titled by year of assy rather than year of parts.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtheinternetannoyance123 View Post

But if your setup works for you, fine & dandy,.,, but as I earlier in perhaps too long winded of a post,
    Damn Twinkie all your post ramble and are long winded are you just figuring that out?????..............
    Last edited by Tattooo; 09-16-2017 at 6:35 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    It sure does to the state and local tax people and the insurance companies...... The older the bike is the cheaper they both are......
    The point I was trying to make is that a custom home built bike in most cases will
    be a hodge podge of all different year parts

A factory bike is going to be all new
    production parts every time.

My "1999" bike that I built must have parts from 15 different years
    of manufacturer. Plus lots of custom one off parts that I made myself
    over the years. sure the frame was made in '99 but the majority
    of all the parts are all over the ffucking place lol. & the bike was not
    even completed until 2001. But I see your point, The insurance companies
    will want the machine labelled for some year to base there pricing on.

Get Adobe Flash player

The point I was trying to make is that a custom home built bike in most cases will
    be a hodge podge of all different year parts

A factory bike is going to be all new
    production parts every time.

My "1999" bike that I built must have parts from 15 different years
    of manufacturer. Plus lots of custom one off parts that I made myself
    over the years. sure the frame was made in '99 but the majority
    of all the parts are all over the ffucking place lol. & the bike was not
    even completed until 2001. But I see your point, The insurance companies
    will want the machine labelled for some year to base there pricing on.
    Got ya, Yes sir they are this and that, like a Johnny Cash Cadillac......

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
    Yes, if it was originally built in Kali and registered it will be "0000" for the "manufacture date". The DMV here does not recognize SPCN as a manufacturer, so you won't get a date on the pink. I brought in a SPCN from Fla. and they tried to change mine to 0000. After the CHP inspection it became an '07 because of its history as an '07.

Share This