Help me pick the bike for the first build!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fckyougofast
    • Aug 2017

Help me pick the bike for the first build!

Help me pick a bike to build into a chopper!

Ok so here is the goal (just wanting to add a king a queen seat):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1341801

Now I'm looking at 2 bikes that are both hard tails and seem to have solid engines (ones a evo and other is a iron head).

I like the reliability and power of the EVO, but Ironheads have a cool nostalgia as well. I could go either way and be happy.

Either way I will need to:
    Paint
    Add different pipes
    Add King/Queen Seat
    Change to Springer Forks
    Change oil tank (If I pick EVO)
    Change Handle Bars
    Change Tank (if I pick EVO)

So here are the two options I'm kind of leaning towards that seem to be fair..

Option 1: New Build Unfinished Evo (Asking $4k)

Name:	01212_ltC2kjvfjOP_600x450.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1341799
    CL Ad : https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mc...262035059.html

Option 2: 1970 IronHead (Asking $3.5k)

Name:	00m0m_HDoNNyv36c_600x450.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1341800
    CL Ad: https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mc...258494609.html

Which would you guys pick as a base to help me get as close to my goal as quickly as possible.

This is my first build >> so take it easy on me if I'm missing something huge that needs to be done

Thank you for the comments and pointers!
  • SamHain
    • Apr 2024

Big twin evo or ironhead? I'd go evo....

Comment

• pete808
      • Apr 2017

I don't know much about either but for $4k couldn't you find an HD titled Evo in a rigid frame?
      Last edited by pete808; 09-03-2017, 3:40 PM.

Comment

• finnR90s
        • Aug 2011

Honda rebel

Comment

• xMPRx
          • Jun 2013

Is this your first build? I have never owned an ironhead but a rigid evo will be a solid bike for you to play with and a solid runner.

Comment

• Scoobydude
            • Sep 2016

I wouldnt waste money on a rebel build.never.

Comment

• hillcat
              • Mar 2015

All the young guys think Ironheads are cool. They are mechanical nightmares. However if you are like me, you need to learn the hard way, so I recommend you get the Ironhead and learn your lesson.
              I did (in '79).

Comment

• triumphbruce
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by hillcat
                All the young guys think Ironheads are cool. They are mechanical nightmares. However if you are like me, you need to learn the hard way, so I recommend you get the Ironhead and learn your lesson.
                I did (in '79).
                i hear that had 2 in 80.broke them and parted them out for more than i payed for them
                got a shovel and never looked back

Comment

• SlyJJ
                  • Mar 2015

It was suggested to me to *not* buy an ironhead when I was first shopping Harley's many millennia ago. Story goes you'll spend all that money that you saved for upgrades just to keep it running. There may be exceptions but I've yet to hear someone say "I love ironheads! They're so reliable"

Contrary to the iron evos have a well earned rep for reliability. Nostalgia wears off quickly if you can't ride the damn thing- believe me

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Evo, small or big, no contest.

I suggest instead of looking at used chops the owners want to get rid of, OP pick up a good running stock Evo Sporty, ride that motherfucker, then after putting down some miles learn by modifying it to his preference.

I also suggest considering a stock big twin runner even if you have to save a bit more to get a good one, but four grand is in offering range of some 1990s Softails listed and asking prices aren't carved in stone. They can be hardtailed (or frame swapped) later on and you get an Evo big twin for your cash. After you modify it the leftovers can be sold to recoup a fair bit of money, and meantime ya get to enjoy riding a big twin.

Buying someone else's discarded project abortion often ends in tears. Buying someone else's discarded Ironhead abortion ends in tears and an empty wallet. The pain would end quicker for less money if you pay hobos curbstomp your nutsack until any Ironhead desire vanishes.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                      • Apr 2012

Used to be 15-20 years ago people would pick up a Ironhead sporty that allegedly had been just rebuilt. one of 2 things happened in short order. The crank/rods let go. (Usually not set up right by the alleged rebuilder) or the tranny blew up, (Very common, check ANY cases and typically you find weld repairs, some get ahead of the problem and weld in braces or extra material.)

The cams, tranny and cranks need to be rebuilt-setup by someone who is skilled at it, Anyone can learn, but it CAN be an expensive learning curve. (You will also need truing wheels and other special tools). *IF* setup right,, a Ironhead CAN be a great bike, and very fast, but they get tortured as people run the snot out of them. I have had a number of Ironheads but I got over that, I like a good Evo Sporty, and while I have a couple early EVO 4 speeds,, My favorites are 1998-2003 as they have a LOT of improvements and just a great bike that needs very little maint. Just change fluids and plugs, keep the carb clean and sorted and check the primary chain once in a while.

Cheapest are the 883s and you can buy a lifestyle bikers abandoned dream for cheap, (Best time is winter and right after XMas or new years) $2500-3500. Its generally easier-cheaper to buy a 883 and do a stage 1-2-3-4 upgrade on it than it is to buy a 1200 out the gate.

Read up on the HD Tax and stage tuning 1-2-3-4. Also if you are serious,, there is several Sporty perf tuning books out there. (Shop amazon or ebay for used copy)

I am amused with the young guys fascination with the Shovel heads Big twins & Ironhead sporty, For years you could not give them away for very good reasons. I am all for learning how to make old shit run and run good, but most dont get to that point. Harsh reality intervenes.

I say it often for non running power trains. Assume its F**Ked and pay accordingly,. If its not, then bonus, but figure they need a total rebuild and lots of parts.

Comment

• SlyJJ
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                        Used to be 15-20 years ago people would pick up a Ironhead sporty that allegedly had been just rebuilt. one of 2 things happened in short order. The crank/rods let go. (Usually not set up right by the alleged rebuilder) or the tranny blew up, (Very common, check ANY cases and typically you find weld repairs, some get ahead of the problem and weld in braces or extra material.)

The cams, tranny and cranks need to be rebuilt-setup by someone who is skilled at it, Anyone can learn, but it CAN be an expensive learning curve. (You will also need truing wheels and other special tools). *IF* setup right,, a Ironhead CAN be a great bike, and very fast, but they get tortured as people run the snot out of them. I have had a number of Ironheads but I got over that, I like a good Evo Sporty, and while I have a couple early EVO 4 speeds,, My favorites are 1998-2003 as they have a LOT of improvements and just a great bike that needs very little maint. Just change fluids and plugs, keep the carb clean and sorted and check the primary chain once in a while.

Cheapest are the 883s and you can buy a lifestyle bikers abandoned dream for cheap, (Best time is winter and right after XMas or new years) $2500-3500. Its generally easier-cheaper to buy a 883 and do a stage 1-2-3-4 upgrade on it than it is to buy a 1200 out the gate.

Read up on the HD Tax and stage tuning 1-2-3-4. Also if you are serious,, there is several Sporty perf tuning books out there. (Shop amazon or ebay for used copy)

I am amused with the young guys fascination with the Shovel heads Big twins & Ironhead sporty, For years you could not give them away for very good reasons. I am all for learning how to make old shit run and run good, but most dont get to that point. Harsh reality intervenes.

I say it often for non running power trains. Assume its F**Ked and pay accordingly,. If its not, then bonus, but figure they need a total rebuild and lots of parts.
                        Don't discount all of us- I'm an eager learner!

Shovels look cool, but I've had as modern as a 99 sporty. No other bike made me hate technology more. Everything's. was electronic and belt drive-i don't like that stuff. You don't know there's a problem until there is. Not like mechanical wear you can look at and gauge.

Maybe that's why I went old instead of new. I wanted points, wanted kickstart, wanted chains and just simple shit.

Then again I don't know if I qualify for "young" anymore...

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                          • Apr 2012

" Maybe that's why I went old instead of new. I wanted points, wanted kickstart, wanted chains and just simple shit. "

Well you are talking to a person who's oldest bike is a 1932 Blue Star BSA, my next oldest is a 1948 Speedtwin, although my wife has a 1947 Norton ES2 none of which are running right now. (I got more bikes than that, LOTS more,,,) But there is a great deal of satisfaction in making old stuff run and run good, no doubt about it But just keeping 3 bikes running is a challenge, 5 at once is even more so.... But I have worked for people keeping 20,26 and 32 bikes in their collections running and even though I was getting paid to do it, even the owners got tired of the hassles despite the fact I was the one doing the bulk of the work. (Those were good gigs though while they lasted)

But there is a great deal of attraction of building a custom you can ride daily without a lot of wrench time. Anymore,, I dont have time, patience or the money to rebuild stuff over and over,, So, while I love the early stuff, I can say there is a lot of value in going out and firing up a bike I can trust to ride across 3 states and back, Or every day to work and not have to worry about it.

So if you like projects I tell people, consider multiple vehicles. The garage/shop queen that spends most of its time being wrenched on and something reliable that starts each and every time and returns to your driveway under its own power day in & day out. But points ignition??? Thats a bit much. I have magnetos on some of my old bikes but even then, most of those I convert to EI internally. I refuse to run points on anything. Some people are gluttons for punishment. But more power to ya if you can pull it off.

But for the OP, I think if you read most of the responses on this topic, its pretty clear what his options are.

Comment

• StuckIn1979
                            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by hillcat
                            I did (in '79).
                            Hey, I agree with you here. Either you learn and make it happen, or you tear it apart and lose hope and give up. Or spend waaaay too much $$$ paying someone else to do it for you.

I'm all for learning thru experience. The over enthusiastic young guys who buy an Ironhead and give up on it are a great source for us older guys with an Ironhead fetish to score our parts and basketcases, usually on the cheap. Then we can hoard parts, or sell them for funding. At least that has always been my gameplan/theory.

Comment

• finnR90s
                              • Aug 2011

Ok original poster. What did you buy?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;