X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OneLeggedBiker
    • Aug 2017

Help, Building A Work List For 1st Custom Build

Hey everyone,

So, I'd been searching (for about a year) for a HD with an Evo so I could do my first custom build. Well as of last week I cam home with an '86 FXST with 22k miles. One thing I like is the low mileage on the bike, the downside is that means the bike sat for some time. The bike fires up and doesn't appear to have any odd sounds. In fact, I made a 60 mile trip home with probably 50/50 riding thru town and highway. She preformed great, shifted well with no slippage, and sounded awesome, but like any old bike there are some issues. Most of these issues appear to be cosmetic in nature but some are mechanical.

For example...
    Upon parking the bike, I smelled gas and traced the source to the accelerator cap of the accelerator pump.

I picked up a factory service manual and parts catalog so I'm set there. And, although I'm no certified tech I can read, follow directions, and know my way around with a wrench.

My question is... If it were you guys, what would you do to make sure all is well with the bike? Keep in mind this bike will be rode (not toured as I have a '13 SG for that) and is not being built as a show bike. So, although it won't be toured it will see it's fair share of 200 mile afternoon rides.

Since it will be a custom build it will be getting new fuel/oil lines, tins, lighting, front end, wheels, etc. So, as I get to each of those areas things will be lubricated, greased, and new bearing where applicable. But, I'd like to hear how you would give the bike a good once over and make sure she stays on the road with no major mechanical fatality.

Thanks in advance!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	'86 Evo FXST.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	1341798
  • hillcat
    • Mar 2015

ALL fluids changed
    brake pads
    battery
    tires (& tube)
    carb re-build
    adjust primary chain
    check ign. module

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Compression check.
      Rebuild carb and replace intake seals.
      Change fluids. That includes brake fluid and fork oil.
      eyeball ignition pickup in the cone. Stock pickup tens to melt out right before it fails

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;