The middle (second) picture illustrates my original question

IMG_7437
    IMG_7463
    IMG_7489
    upload images fast

Comment

• GSBobber1980
      • Aug 2017

P.S., 99% of the shaft drive bobbers I've seen and really liked the looks of have been unstretched bikes.

Including Jasonisdeco's Intruders

Comment

• Pattman
        • Jul 2017

The only way I see getting the mount off if you go the way of the pics is unbolting the hub from the swing arm as they are all incorporated apart from mine then you can remove the wheel. I did contemplate designing mine that way but it was easier for me to get the look I wanted by removing the swingarm completely.
        If it helps here is a run through of how I built mine. http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic...ac4e0e7703bfc7

Comment

• GSBobber1980
          • Aug 2017

Dude, one of your pictures is one I used above for an example of what I want to do!

Comment

• GSBobber1980
            • Aug 2017

Now that I'm home, let me show you what I meant by having enough room for 2@3/16 axle plates on this axle:

IMG_7520
            IMG_7521

Comment

• Pattman
              • Jul 2017

Thats a tight fit, its do able if the swingarm plate is 3/8" but I would want a minimum of 1/4" / 6mm plate either side as it has less chance of twisting and more surface area for the axle to sit on. If you could get hold of another axle you could easily make one to suit thats long enough. As long as you keep the wheel lined up with the centre of the bike you wont have any problems then make your frame around it.

Comment

• Njhcharry
                • Apr 2024

Who's virago is that?

Originally posted by GSBobber1980
                The middle (second) picture illustrates my original question

IMG_7437
                IMG_7463
                IMG_7489
                upload images fast
                Who's virago?. I'm hacking mine apart right now in the shop but I was just looking at a couple different sites to see any ideas.. I mean I welcome help I would like help but that's not going to stop me from grinding away all night...this is the first time I've ever owned a virago and what I like about how cheap they are is if by some chance I f*** this thing up I'll grab another one off of the marketplace I won't hate myself for it but anyway if anybody has any advice.. I have no idea why that guy didn't cut out his top tube..I put a a king peanut tank on mine and already sliced mine sort of how he did his but that's actually why I'm making it a hardtail just because once I started everyday I look at it I'm like I just need to redo the whole thing

Comment

• Jasonisdico
                  • May 2010

Hey man, got some input for ya. First, the rear hub is aluminum on your GS, so it’ll be easy to work with. You can unbolt the lower shock mount from it or cut it off. You can see how the pumpkin ‘volcanoes’ out to where it meets the head of your axle? That is where you can the wiggle room necessary for your bike.
                  Pull your rear wheel, unbolt the rear diff and drain it. If you can machine or have access to a machinist, then you can machine off 1/4”-3/8” from that ‘volcano’ no problem! That give you the space for that side axle plate. The other side has an axle plate already, so you’ll just be replacing it with your new one, or retaining that stock one for your new hardtail. If you cannot machine it, or trust yourself, you can do it with hand tools just fine. Affix the diff in a vice or on your workbench and make sure the ‘volcano’ is facing up and level in all direction. Use a flap disk, sanding disk, or belt sander and start taking off material. Make sure you use aluminum specific disks/pads/wheels etc, the ones meant for steel will get clogged with aluminum and explode. No bueno. Take down as much as you need and make sure it’s still flat and level. Boom, you’ve clearances enough for your axle plate.

Bolt the rear diff back up and keep going. Now as far as servicing goes, it will bolt up and unbolt just fine. Since the axle plates are the same whether it’s swingarm or hardtail. You can ditch the shaft side of the swingarm IF you make a mount that attaches the hardtail to the mounts on the rear diff. The swingarm is the frame that keeps the diff from rotating. So if you ditch that, you need to stabilize it another way(to the hardtail frame). That’s what I did on the silver Intruder, because I wanted to run the shaft drive open. The u joint is open and exposed as well. If I didn’t explain any of that we’ll enough, let me know and I’ll do some janky picture editing to show it better. I can grab pics of ChopSlut too if you need, she’s just sleeping in the barn for now.

Happy Chopping!

Comment

• DustyDave
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

I prefer to build an more conventional frame and uncover the driveshaft. On this XJ I offset the rear of the frame to make room for the gear box without making the whole rear section wider than a double wide.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001160.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	1316207
                    Other than the seat and chain bars that the owner insisted on I'm real pleased with the look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	YamachopperLSReduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	1316208
                    Dusty
                    Driving that train, high on cocaine
                    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum