Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skinnylittleman
    • Aug 2017

I'm new here

Hey guys, names JT. I'm in the process of buying my second bike, first ever Harley. My first bike was a little 250 rebel. My new bike will be a 78 iron head. I'm super excited but also nervous as hell. I'm buying it out of Virginia, I live in Florida. I've only seen 3 short videos of it and that's basically it. Here's the deal, the dude bought it for his nephew I think but it was bad timing so he's selling it. My uncle knows how bad I want an iron head so he bought it and I'm buying it from him. He's an avid Harley rider, owning five I think, one being a shovel head Bobber. That being said he has no mechanical skills what so ever.. the bike sounds like it runs good, and they say it's top end is rebuilt. New generator and a couple other things but mostly stock. No idea of how many miles I didn't care to ask hecause fact of the matter this bike is almost 40 years old.. it'll need work at some point. I'm basically just nervous because I've never owned one, I haven't actually looked at it or ridden it. Obviously the first thing I do when I get it will be drain the oil and tranny fluid, spark plugs etc, inspect the motor mounts and the underside of the engine where the pan likes to crack. Thanks every one for any advice, my only knowledge on these bikes is from reading forums off and on for about 3 or 4 years now.
  • FatChibs
    • Feb 2014

What makes this 78 special? Im just curious cause it seems like there are tons for sale for deals all the time. How much are you paying for it if u dont mind me asking, they arent worth much more than that rebel of yours. Kick or electric or both?

Comment

• pete808
      • Apr 2017

I've bought 2 bikes this year sight unseen without even seeing videos, just taking the sellers word for it. Both times it worked out. I don't know much about ironheads but I'm sure if it has any issues it can be fixed, as long as your not over paying for it then it'll work ou.

Comment

• Benny74
        • Sep 2016

The big question here is how much are you getting it for?

Comment

• Sky
          • Aug 2009

Don't matter how much, obviously the uncle's paying for it and letting him pay it off slowly.
          Sounds like a done deal anyway.
          Don't know if I'd be into a bike recommended by a "non mechanically skilled uncle"...
          But dude wants an ironhead, he's getting one. Congrats.
          First thing he should do is by the manual...
          Check the fluids and plugs.
          Fresh top-end should have fresh oil in it or somebody wasn't doing something right...
          Post them videos!

Comment

• StuckIn1979
            • Dec 2015

Every Ironhead has had a top end rebuild just before it goes up for sale. Must be protocol or something.

Some of the 78's are a 75th Anniversary Edition. Identified by the gold wheels and trim. If stock, they are usually worth a bit more than the average 78.
            Good luck with it. If you have limited wrenching skills, an Ironhead will usually motivate you to learn. Or motivate you to trade up to an EVO.
            My current Ironhead, a 79, is the newest street bike I've owned, started on dirtbikes in about 1969, and it still keeps me busy wrenching.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

An Ironhead really requires the owner to be or become a mechanic, so study your ass off and do NOT get rid of the Rebel because you'll need something reliable to ride until you + Ironhead come to a relationship, and then I'd still keep the Rebel. They won't get jealous of each other.

Becoming a mechanic is worth more than many motorcycles.

Be conservative and always go for reliability. Although not chopulent, old Harleys really benefit from effective oil coolers (black, not chrome).

Get the factory manual and parts catalog. .

Most problems on older motorcycles are electrical. Easy to deal with if you do your homework, so do it and never do shitty wiring.

Get it in good riding shape. Don't make the mistake of immediately chopping it or heavily modding it.

Then ride it and develop your own preferences.

Comment

• Skinnylittleman
                • Aug 2017

Wow I wasn't expecting all the replies so fast. Thanks every one for the info...

To answer most every ones question I'm picking it up for $2000. I think that's reasonable for a stock ironhead that runs.

When it comes to mechanical skills I'm definitely not certified but I'm not a novice and I can follow directions and read schematics.

I more or less just put a deposit on it but I will be paying for it outright when I pick it up.

I don't believe it's the anniversary series, but again I'm not entirely sure when it comes to that..

I do like choppers and maybe one day I'll buy a new frame and use the springer front end my uncle wants to give to me. But for now I plan to just ride it and get to know it. No major changes until I can keep the thing running properly.

My initial plans when I get the bike are to already have the manual and parts catalog. Immediately change the fluids, spark plugs, check to make sure everything is lubed properly and generally check things out. Probably take it to a mechanic to go over it just to be safe..

Oh it's also electric start, I'm only 5'2" and 95 lbs so I'd rather not kick start anything.

Basically I don't plan on doing wheelies and donuts, I just was to ride down the rode on something with enough power to pass a car with my wife on the back. We live in Florida so it's nice and flat here. I'll try and post the videos and a picture!!

Thanks again every one, JT.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Skinnylittleman

I don't believe it's the anniversary series, but again I'm not entirely sure when it comes to that..

Don't worry about it, It really doesn't matter...... That and $7.00 will buy you a coffee at Starbucks......

That's a good price for that bike and about what it's worth so you're not getting hurt.... I'm glad your just wanting to ride it and not tear it apart.....
                  Ride safe and enjoy it....

Comment

• Skinnylittleman
                    • Aug 2017

Ok I posted a picture of it in my album but it's a really bad picture. It's all I have to work with at the moment.

And yeah I can burn my own shitty coffee I'm not about to over pay for that shit.. I'm not some hipster, I've been around old cars all my life but pops wasn't a bike guy. Sure I can go to a dealer and get a brand new sportster for $130 bucks a month. And then I could ride all day no problems no tinkering no real love of the bike, I don't want that, I like to work hard, I like to learn how things work, if I don't know I'll research it. I'll find some one who does know. I know common sense says choose reliablitly and modern technology.. but I just enjoy old shit too much

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Skinnylittleman
                      Ok I posted a picture of it in my album but it's a really bad picture. It's all I have to work with at the moment.

And yeah I can burn my own shitty coffee I'm not about to over pay for that shit.. I'm not some hipster, I've been around old cars all my life but pops wasn't a bike guy. Sure I can go to a dealer and get a brand new sportster for $130 bucks a month. And then I could ride all day no problems no tinkering no real love of the bike, I don't want that, I like to work hard, I like to learn how things work, if I don't know I'll research it. I'll find some one who does know. I know common sense says choose reliablitly and modern technology.. but I just enjoy old shit too much

LOL I think you took it wrong.... What I meant was..... Because it might be an anniversary edition doesn't mean much like a cup of coffee...... LOL You will catch on..... I think it's great your wanting an older bike....

By the way that's a nice looking bike....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;