CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Rigid front end questions

Hey guys looking for some weigh in, I'm building a 1978 cb400t trike (weird base but smoke em if you got em) I have raked it out and I want to do a rigid front end, the bike is light as hell (two of us picked it up and put it on the lift and we almost threw it) my question Is what the hell do I make the front end out of? In Canada chrome is basically unaffordable so I build most things in stainless, but with that have the tensile strength to not just crack over time? Should I just use solid 1 1/4" cold rolled and have it powder coated "chrome"? I know chromoly is the preferred material but I priced that out a couple years back at nearly 400$ just for the tubing any weigh in will help. And I know rigid front end is stupid blah blah blah. This is just gonna be a grocery getter I think

Get Adobe Flash player

Look at it this way how much is your life worth to you????? Don't worry about price on something that can kill you......

Get Adobe Flash player

You basically answered your own question...
    But your not really building a rigid front end. With rake and length it'll be a flex front end...
    Wouldn't a higher carbon steel with a "spring" temper be the go to?
    And it don't matter what color it gets painted/powder-coated, as long as the process doesn't affect the metallurgy.

Get Adobe Flash player

I used 1 5/16"x 1/4" wall seamless tubing, this is what most guys are running, some slug the fork tubes with a 4140 or similar, I did not do this and mine will function just fine. It is 44" over stock. Look at image1's shovel build. he helped me a lot with my front end.

datadavid

Use solid steel bars, weight it down so that torque monster wont flip you over!

Share This