Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COLDSTEELE
    • Jun 2017

Poor mans Candy Apple Red paint and laying it down

Hey folks I just tried this out Its rattle can Candy Apple Red and though I'd suggest makeing a test panel to get the level of Candy you want I had some of the True chrome paint left over from a project and had bought some of that red lens paint for fixing a faded tail light I got curious cause after all All Candy paint is tinted clear paint. So I sprayed the chrome over a old breather lid only prep work I did was alcohol wipe down to remove grease and oils I wanted to make sure any lifting or bubbles was a reaction not grease But after the chrome dried I painted it with the red lens tint It came out a rather nice Candy red.metalic silver and bright aluminum will work too Iv yet to clear coat it it would really pop then but as long as you don't mix enamel with lacquer anyone wanting to paint their bike and would like a candy red paint job and plan on rattle can to do it this is a killer option. Now I'm not a pro at all just messed up enough and learned why nor am I downin rattle can paint jobs in any way a great paint job is mostly prep work proper surface prep tack cloths between coats and patience Pay attention to the weather humidity and temp effect dry times and how the paint acts on the surface but automotive paint in cans these days like house of color and the like are automotive grade paint the same stuff they sell in gallons. It's the delivery system that causes the problem Shake that can a good 4 to five mins and through the job let the can warm up good outside on the summer in a pan of warm water in the winter Nooo not on the eye of the stove in a pan lol we are painting a gas tank not you and your kitchen. Make sure you have the surface as smooth as you can No little lint balls With a tank I always use polly plastic for Windows a few wire coat hangers to hang the tank and the ever present duct tape to make a hanging paint booth keeps the Alabama state bird the mosquito here and other little nosy want to land in your fresh clear coat away Just take your time practice your spray rate and pattern start the spray just before your fender or tank end after you leave the surface get a flow almost like your doing Axle Roses lil Hey Hey hey hey hey dance back n forth get your primer coat done sanded tacked alcohol or oil and grease remover done tack it then do your base DONT touch it if you can help even when dry a little body oil and you'll see that crap after its on the bike at your Girls house a week later Sh! $. I use a super fine grit sanding when iv had to stop or where the paint directions call for it. Help the new coat adhere to the last address any runs now not 3
    coats later saND the wash Then oil and grease remover then tack cloth between every coat that's what makes the paint job last not it is from a can I'm also a little OCD and it keeps the little voice quiet once ur base is done sand and do it again for your clear and between the coats of clear Your gonna be tempted while painting and clear coating to want it to look like a show room shine then That's where runs and other Aww Man!!!!! come from Your prep and attention to the steps and the lil axle dance will give you that in the end. When. Your done leave it alone forrrevvver lol nahh but don't rush and take a seemingly dry tank mount it that clear and coats beneath are still wet well soft I saw a killer paint job fellow covered his bike and the next day the clear had taken on the print of the cover fabrics thread pattern Just let it be the more coats the lon ger you wait a IR heat lamp will help just be careful Once it's dry for sure wet sand all over hit any little runs if they happen then rubbing compund the same runs If you took your time you wont need to address any runs you can skip and go right to polishing compound then several coats of good wax and it'll look like you paid for it mabe if you took your time lol. Like alot of skill sets they come from practice a welder if he don't weld for a few days will tell you they will run a bead or two on scrap to get their technique warmed back up. Before you do your tank buy some cheap 99 cent paint and paint a mailbox or something curvy just to get your flow then jump right to the job That warm up will pay off It seems like lot of work the prep is key it's more like alot of time but a can of beer in one hand and paint in the other it's gonna be worth it When someone says hey nice paint job and you can buy something else for your bike with the money saved Yall KEEPEM 1UP & 2 DOWN
    Last edited by COLDSTEELE; 07-23-2017, 11:50 AM. Reason: Forgot word

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
Working...
;