Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    • Aug 2015

'97 leaking oil bottom of pushrod tube

My 97 1200C has oil coming up out of the bottom of the rearmost pushrod tube. Not the mount itself, but between the mount and the tube. Looking at the pushrod assembly diagrams it looks like I need to replace that lower oring. I went ahead and picked up a new lower and upper oring, the rectangle shaped inner rocker gasket, the lower rocker gasket, and the (one piece) cylinder head gasket. I didn't grab an upper rocker gasket because I'm guessing that doesn't need to come apart?

I really don't know as I've never taken the rocker assembly off. Hoping to tackle this tomorrow, does it look like I'm on the right track? I have a service manual somewhere that I'll usbe but just wanted to see if anyone had any tips or advice to offer.

Thanks

Diagram:
    Last edited by Dane; 07-22-2017, 6:43 PM.
  • WillSCB
    • Dec 2014

You will need the upper rocker cover gasket to get the lower rocker cover gasket off.

Comment

• Dane
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by WillSCB
      You will need the upper rocker cover gasket to get the lower rocker cover gasket off.
      ah bummer. Do I need to also replace the fiber washers?

Comment

• slowtrain
        • Apr 2016

Needed to replace my front intake lower pushrod seal this spring. I cut the old seal off after unbolting and raising the retainer. Took the new seal and cut it at about 45degrees. Cleaned the tube and seal area, placed the new seal around the pushrod tube and glued the cut with superglue. Slid the new seal into position and bolted the retainer down, been 4 months and 6000 miles, no leakage at that location, In out and done in 15 minutes.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by slowtrain
          Needed to replace my front intake lower pushrod seal this spring. I cut the old seal off after unbolting and raising the retainer. Took the new seal and cut it at about 45degrees. Cleaned the tube and seal area, placed the new seal around the pushrod tube and glued the cut with superglue. Slid the new seal into position and bolted the retainer down, been 4 months and 6000 miles, no leakage at that location, In out and done in 15 minutes.

Consider yourself a lucky man..........For every one that doesn't leak 100 do...............

LOL I just noticed you said it doesn't leak in that location???? Did you try it in other locations that didn't work??????

Comment

• slowtrain
            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
            Consider yourself a lucky man..........For every one that doesn't leak 100 do...............

LOL I just noticed you said it doesn't leak in that location???? Did you try it in other locations that didn't work??????
            Just a stubborn acceptance that my bike is going to seep a little....elsewhere.

My shovel is leaking at the pushrod seals as well, that'll wait until fall when I do the top end over.

evo sporty is the daily beater, the shovel is my Sunday ride

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by slowtrain
              Just a stubborn acceptance that my bike is going to seep a little....elsewhere.

My shovel is leaking at the pushrod seals as well, that'll wait until fall when I do the top end over.

I don't blame you at all......... If it's not leaking bad enough to make a mess let it leak..... Hell my Pan primary always leaks............. just like it should..... LOL

Comment

• Dane
                • Aug 2015

good idea, I think I'll try that! I have all my other gaskets if I end up needing to fix it again. But I love simple solutions.

It's definitely leaking TOO much. everything behind that pushrod is just covered in oil. Including the ride side of the tire which means I have to be really careful that I don't ride too deep into a right turn as there's a little oil on the tread there.

Comment

• Dane
                  • Aug 2015

Found the leak.... someone had the gasket part-way under the cover when they installed the retainer ring. I'm guessing at the factory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OdsYKRk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1297518

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;