CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default '97 leaking oil bottom of pushrod tube

My 97 1200C has oil coming up out of the bottom of the rearmost pushrod tube. Not the mount itself, but between the mount and the tube. Looking at the pushrod assembly diagrams it looks like I need to replace that lower oring. I went ahead and picked up a new lower and upper oring, the rectangle shaped inner rocker gasket, the lower rocker gasket, and the (one piece) cylinder head gasket. I didn't grab an upper rocker gasket because I'm guessing that doesn't need to come apart?

I really don't know as I've never taken the rocker assembly off. Hoping to tackle this tomorrow, does it look like I'm on the right track? I have a service manual somewhere that I'll usbe but just wanted to see if anyone had any tips or advice to offer.

Thanks

Diagram:
    https://i.imgur.com/LBHIf60_d.jpg?ma...&fidelity=high
    Last edited by Dane; 07-22-2017 at 6:43 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

You will need the upper rocker cover gasket to get the lower rocker cover gasket off.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by WillSCB View Post
    You will need the upper rocker cover gasket to get the lower rocker cover gasket off.
    ah bummer. Do I need to also replace the fiber washers?

Get Adobe Flash player

Needed to replace my front intake lower pushrod seal this spring. I cut the old seal off after unbolting and raising the retainer. Took the new seal and cut it at about 45degrees. Cleaned the tube and seal area, placed the new seal around the pushrod tube and glued the cut with superglue. Slid the new seal into position and bolted the retainer down, been 4 months and 6000 miles, no leakage at that location, In out and done in 15 minutes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by slowtrain View Post
    Needed to replace my front intake lower pushrod seal this spring. I cut the old seal off after unbolting and raising the retainer. Took the new seal and cut it at about 45degrees. Cleaned the tube and seal area, placed the new seal around the pushrod tube and glued the cut with superglue. Slid the new seal into position and bolted the retainer down, been 4 months and 6000 miles, no leakage at that location, In out and done in 15 minutes.

Consider yourself a lucky man..........For every one that doesn't leak 100 do...............

LOL I just noticed you said it doesn't leak in that location???? Did you try it in other locations that didn't work??????

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Consider yourself a lucky man..........For every one that doesn't leak 100 do...............

LOL I just noticed you said it doesn't leak in that location???? Did you try it in other locations that didn't work??????
    Just a stubborn acceptance that my bike is going to seep a little....elsewhere.

My shovel is leaking at the pushrod seals as well, that'll wait until fall when I do the top end over.

evo sporty is the daily beater, the shovel is my Sunday ride

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by slowtrain View Post
    Just a stubborn acceptance that my bike is going to seep a little....elsewhere.

My shovel is leaking at the pushrod seals as well, that'll wait until fall when I do the top end over.

I don't blame you at all......... If it's not leaking bad enough to make a mess let it leak..... Hell my Pan primary always leaks............. just like it should..... LOL

Get Adobe Flash player

good idea, I think I'll try that! I have all my other gaskets if I end up needing to fix it again. But I love simple solutions.

It's definitely leaking TOO much. everything behind that pushrod is just covered in oil. Including the ride side of the tire which means I have to be really careful that I don't ride too deep into a right turn as there's a little oil on the tread there.

Get Adobe Flash player

Found the leak.... someone had the gasket part-way under the cover when they installed the retainer ring. I'm guessing at the factory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OdsYKRk.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	78186

Share This