Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nickonometry
    • Oct 2014

Need help - Dyna wont start after riding in rain

Hey everyone, figured I'd come to my favorite motorcycle community for some advice. I have a 1998 Dyna FXDL. I got caught in a down pour the other night and rode in the rain for about 15 miles. I'm not running a front fender right now because I am waiting for the hardware, so I was getting extra soaked. I parked the bike in the garage overnight. The next morning, bike starts right up with the choke on and I rev it a few times, then it dies. Now it just turns over and won't fire. The battery is brand new and strong, starter is working great, just no firing. I hooked it up to a jump pack and kept tyring but I flooded it. I let it sit in the sun for about 2 or 3 hours hoping to dry it out a bit but that didn't help. I put in brand new spark plugs and plug wires, no luck. I did notice a bit of moisture inbetween the frame and stator cable, and it doesn't appear to be 100% flush into the frame, so maybe that could be the culprit??

Any ideas??
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Not being a smart ass but does it have any gas in it??????? You didn't say anything about gas....

Comment

• nickonometry
      • Oct 2014

Lol, yes it does...half a tank or so

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

LOL Cool so at least we know that isn't a problem..... Is it cranking at all now or was it just that first time you started it?? I think you answered that but I want to make sure...

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Have you tried something like starting fluid to see if it's will start????

Comment

• nickonometry
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Tattooo
            LOL Cool so at least we know that isn't a problem..... Is it cranking at all now or was it just that first time you started it?? I think you answered that but I want to make sure...
            It's still cranking and it's cranking strong. It cranks strong on and off the battery charger

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by nickonometry
              It's still cranking and it's cranking strong. It cranks strong on and off the battery charger

No I mean run then shut off..... Not just turning over..... Actually firing....

Comment

• nickonometry
                • Oct 2014

No I mean run then shut off..... Not just turning over..... Actually firing....
                It doesn't run at all anymore, can't get it to fire

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

It doesn't run at all anymore, can't get it to fire
                  Got ya.... Have you tried something like starting fluid to see if it's firing???

Comment

• FooDog
                    • Feb 2014

Are you getting spark at the plugs?

Are you getting fuel past the petcock?

98 Dyna still has a carb and if its got the stock petcock its likely vacuum operated. Those petcocks go bad at the most random times. Could just be coincidence that your last ride was in the rain.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by FooDog

98 Dyna still has a carb and if its got the stock petcock its likely vacuum operated. Those petcocks go bad at the most random times. Could just be coincidence that your last ride was in the rain.

Yep that's what I've been trying to get an answer to..... I bet he doesn't have one or the other..... We shall see???

Comment

• nickonometry
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by FooDog

There's definitely spark, but I am not sure if fuel is getting past the petcock. This seems like it could be the problem, and would probably explain why it started right up the morning after the rain, ran for about 10 seconds, then stalled. After that, wouldn't start again. So maybe it ran because it was burning up whatever fuel was past the petcock?

Either way, I just ordered a replacement on and will see what happens. Any other ideas? my buddy seems to think it's the stator, because there was a tiny bit of moisture behind the cable that goes into the frame. But that wouldn't cause it not starting would it?

Also, everytime I try and start it I can smell fuel, like it's getting flooded
                        Last edited by nickonometry; 07-18-2017, 6:41 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

There's definitely spark, but I am not sure if fuel is getting past the petcock. This seems like it could be the problem, and would probably explain why it started right up the morning after the rain, ran for about 10 seconds, then stalled. After that, wouldn't start again. So maybe it ran because it was burning up whatever fuel was past the petcock?

Either way, I just ordered a replacement on and will see what happens. Any other ideas? my buddy seems to think it's the stator, because there was a tiny bit of moisture behind the cable that goes into the frame. But that wouldn't cause it not starting would it?

Also, everytime I try and start it I can smell fuel, like it's getting flooded
                          Glad you and foodogs got this......

Your buddy thinks it's the stator???

Comment

• nickonometry
                            • Oct 2014

Glad you and foodogs got this......

Your buddy thinks it's the stator???
                            Yes, and I have NO idea. I am not mechianically inclined whatsoever, I just didn't want to buy a new stator yet until I know for sure. I know it acts like an alternator so I can't imagine it would prevent it from starting. I'm a NEWB tho

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Yes, and I have NO idea. I am not mechianically inclined whatsoever, I just didn't want to buy a new stator yet until I know for sure. I know it acts like an alternator so I can't imagine it would prevent it from starting. I'm a NEWB tho

I guess I should have left LOL after your friends suggestion about the stator being the problem........... Why not buy a new stator before you know for sure the problem, you bought a new petcock ....Right???? Hell it might be the petcock but we don't know yet?????

Did you do like I asked and spray starting fluid in it to see if it will fire???? And stop buying parts until you know for sure what your problem is.....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;