X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom8336
    • Mar 2024

70's Triumph Chop Rebuild

Hi.

Last year I bought an old triumph that'd been sitting in a garage unloved for years, and decided to give it a makeover. The engine is a TR6 bottom end/T120 top end, with twin Mikuni carbs and Boyer Mk 4 ignition. I've also added Boyer twin 12v coils and a Boyer Powerbox (non delay). This is the set up that the Boyer technical team told me to use in order to go battery less, but I'll be adding a small lithium battery (about the size of a fag packet) too, just to make sure the power is there.

This was a complete strip down. I soda blasted the engine (it was covered in gold & silver paint), had the cylinders re bored and fitted new pistons, repainted the cylinders, powder coated the frame (it had a spray can paint job when I got it), etc etc, etc .... The job's been a slow one as I don't have a garage, I'm not a mechanic, and the weather in England didn't pick up until a month ago, but I'm getting there. Wade over at Sickboyz Customs in Epsom has done the frame mods I wanted as I don't have welding gear, and has also generally just been a great help and a Top bloke.

I got the engine running last week with a mate who's a Triumph mechanic, and he will also be doing the wiring & electric's next week when the rear mudguard & sissy bar come back from chroming. I was going to do the electric's myself but I know where my limits are.

I'm fitting a Custom Only BlackBox 2 to work the light's & indicators etc, which will be controlled by small push buttons on the handlebars which I've already drilled and fitted. The lights will all be LED.

The end is in sight but still a way to go yet though.

Here are some photo's. Hope you like it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2017, 2:57 PM.
  • Tom8336
    • Mar 2024

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	1297239Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.JPG
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1297240Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	1297241Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	1297242Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	1297243

Comment

• beerslave
      • Nov 2014

looking great, its going to look a lot better with that sissy bar and fender mounted!

Comment

• Tom8336
        • Mar 2024

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm looking forward to bolting them on and finally getting to see the end result.

Comment

• LoudPipesSaveLives
          • Aug 2012

Great looking bike. Love the tank color. Ever get the rear fender mounted?

Comment

• Tom8336
            • Mar 2024

I got the fender and sissy bar back from the chromers about a month ago, but due to school holiday's etc I wasn't able to fit it and finish the build.

This week I had an afternoon free and decided to get the job done. Then nearly had a blood vessel in my head burst when the chrome started coming off in my hands!!! I could kill the fu***ng chroming company!!

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	1298347Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	1298348
            Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2017, 3:30 PM.

Comment

• Tom8336
              • Mar 2024

Originally posted by LoudPipesSaveLives
              Thank's LPSL

Comment

• LoudPipesSaveLives
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Tom8336
                I got the fender and sissy bar back from the chromers about a month ago, but due to school holiday's etc I wasn't able to fit it and finish the build.

This week I had an afternoon free and decided to get the job done. Then nearly had a blood vessel in my head burst when the chrome started coming off in my hands!!! I could kill the fu***ng chroming company!!
                Holy crap, that freakin blows. Horrible chrome job. I'd be pissed off too.

Comment

• rokytnji
                  • Mar 2024

Realizing a certain look is desired. Lately I have been subbing Powder coating for chrome anymore. Also Acrylic Urethane paint is pretty hardy. But I have a shop building with paint tools.

I'd post a link to the powder coat guys I use. But I don't wanna start off my new membership labeled as a spammer. It would just be a local Texas link to a local shop about a 100 miles from my place. Which would be useless in Britain anyways.

Comment

• JackMeHoff1975
                    • Mar 2024

Awesome bike you have there. The tank color works really well. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Tom8336
                      • Mar 2024

Cheers Jack

Comment

• Tom8336
                        • Mar 2024

Originally posted by LoudPipesSaveLives
                        A couple of snaps I took earlier today

Name:	842628C0-B650-436F-BFED-3E5AE3F76C47.jpg
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	1298592Click image for larger version

Name:	910DAF9D-32C9-4248-BF16-5C06970F9128.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1298593

Comment

• LoudPipesSaveLives
                          • Aug 2012

Looks great Tom! Well done.

Comment

• drumbum
                            • Mar 2013

Looks good man.

Comment

• Tom8336
                              • Mar 2024

Thanks for the positive words guy's. Much appreciated.

I'm not 100% happy with the tank (looks a bit too far down from the headstock), and a couple of other little bits, so I'll probably make a few small changes.

This is my first attempt at a chop, so I'd be happy for any of you guy's to give me some input on other area's of this bike that you don't think work with so well as it will help me with the next one I do.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;