CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tom8336

Default 70's Triumph Chop Rebuild

Hi.

Last year I bought an old triumph that'd been sitting in a garage unloved for years, and decided to give it a makeover. The engine is a TR6 bottom end/T120 top end, with twin Mikuni carbs and Boyer Mk 4 ignition. I've also added Boyer twin 12v coils and a Boyer Powerbox (non delay). This is the set up that the Boyer technical team told me to use in order to go battery less, but I'll be adding a small lithium battery (about the size of a fag packet) too, just to make sure the power is there.

This was a complete strip down. I soda blasted the engine (it was covered in gold & silver paint), had the cylinders re bored and fitted new pistons, repainted the cylinders, powder coated the frame (it had a spray can paint job when I got it), etc etc, etc .... The job's been a slow one as I don't have a garage, I'm not a mechanic, and the weather in England didn't pick up until a month ago, but I'm getting there. Wade over at Sickboyz Customs in Epsom has done the frame mods I wanted as I don't have welding gear, and has also generally just been a great help and a Top bloke.

I got the engine running last week with a mate who's a Triumph mechanic, and he will also be doing the wiring & electric's next week when the rear mudguard & sissy bar come back from chroming. I was going to do the electric's myself but I know where my limits are.

I'm fitting a Custom Only BlackBox 2 to work the light's & indicators etc, which will be controlled by small push buttons on the handlebars which I've already drilled and fitted. The lights will all be LED.

The end is in sight but still a way to go yet though.

Here are some photo's. Hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7673479.jpg   fullsizeoutput_6ce.jpg   IMG_0626.jpg  
    Last edited by Tom8336; 10-31-2017 at 2:57 PM.

Tom8336

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	77831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0449.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	77832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	77833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	77834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	305.7 KB 
ID:	77835

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

looking great, its going to look a lot better with that sissy bar and fender mounted!

Tom8336

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm looking forward to bolting them on and finally getting to see the end result.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great looking bike. Love the tank color. Ever get the rear fender mounted?

Tom8336

I got the fender and sissy bar back from the chromers about a month ago, but due to school holiday's etc I wasn't able to fit it and finish the build.

This week I had an afternoon free and decided to get the job done. Then nearly had a blood vessel in my head burst when the chrome started coming off in my hands!!! I could kill the fu***ng chroming company!!

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	79263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	79264
    Last edited by Tom8336; 10-12-2017 at 3:30 PM.

Tom8336

Quote Originally Posted by LoudPipesSaveLives View Post
    Thank's LPSL

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tom8336 View Post
    I got the fender and sissy bar back from the chromers about a month ago, but due to school holiday's etc I wasn't able to fit it and finish the build.

This week I had an afternoon free and decided to get the job done. Then nearly had a blood vessel in my head burst when the chrome started coming off in my hands!!! I could kill the fu***ng chroming company!!
    Holy crap, that freakin blows. Horrible chrome job. I'd be pissed off too.

rokytnji

Realizing a certain look is desired. Lately I have been subbing Powder coating for chrome anymore. Also Acrylic Urethane paint is pretty hardy. But I have a shop building with paint tools.

I'd post a link to the powder coat guys I use. But I don't wanna start off my new membership labeled as a spammer. It would just be a local Texas link to a local shop about a 100 miles from my place. Which would be useless in Britain anyways.

JackMeHoff1975

Awesome bike you have there. The tank color works really well. Thanks for sharing.

Tom8336

Cheers Jack

Tom8336

A couple of snaps I took earlier today

Name:	842628C0-B650-436F-BFED-3E5AE3F76C47.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	79571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	910DAF9D-32C9-4248-BF16-5C06970F9128.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	79572

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks great Tom! Well done.

Looks good man.

Tom8336

Thanks for the positive words guy's. Much appreciated.

I'm not 100% happy with the tank (looks a bit too far down from the headstock), and a couple of other little bits, so I'll probably make a few small changes.

This is my first attempt at a chop, so I'd be happy for any of you guy's to give me some input on other area's of this bike that you don't think work with so well as it will help me with the next one I do.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree with relocating the tank. Wondering about the angle of the oil tank. Looks like it needs to be clocked forward a little. Other than that custom bikes like yours are all about doing it your way. Are those stickers hiding the bad chrome job? Good idea for now.

Tom8336

Hi LPSL. Thanks for the feedback mate.
    Yeah when I fitted the chain I found it rubbed on the oil tank so I’ve fitted a couple of temporary custom brackets to push it out the way for now. I’ll probably end up cutting the tank down.
    Yep again on the stickers. I’ve not got time to sort the chrome out right now so I’ve stuck some stickers over the flakey shit to hide it. :-)
    Last edited by Tom8336; 10-31-2017 at 2:59 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Understood,
    I'm in the process of mating a hex tank to my hardtail right now and noticed the tank is close to the chain but mines due the integral battery box. I'm going with a mitymag and no battery so I'm going to cut that corner out to make sure it clears.

Tom8336

I tried to go batteryless by using the full Boyer setup (Boyer tech team sent me instructions how to do it), but it just didn’t work. I’ve put a small lithium battery on it now and it’s sorted the problem. My battery/electronics box is tiny now too.

Problem I had was that the hex oil tank I’ve fitted is just a bit too wide and I didn’t allow for it when I was mocking up the bike. Lesson learned for next time though.
    Last edited by Tom8336; 10-31-2017 at 3:00 PM.

Tom8336

Understood,
    I'm in the process of mating a hex tank to my hardtail right now and noticed the tank is close to the chain but mines due the integral battery box. I'm going with a mitymag and no battery so I'm going to cut that corner out to make sure it clears.
    What are you building by the way?

Share This