CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 1983 ironhead engine in evo frame

I currently own a 1983 Sportster 1000 XLX. I have a chance to buy a Paughco evo frame for a 1986-1990 very cheap. The frame has 40 degrees of rake and a 3 inch stretch. I'm pretty sure the engine will bolt in EXCEPT for the top mounts which I can fabricate. Has anyone does this swap? Are there any fitment issues that I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
    Dino

Well since nobody wants to help, I bought the frame. Thanks anyway.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dinoboothe View Post
    I'm pretty sure the engine will bolt in EXCEPT for the top mounts which I can fabricate. Has anyone does this swap? Are there any fitment issues that I'm overlooking?
    I didn't see this until now.... Sorry.... No it won't just bolt up.... Without A LOT of work.... Step up and buy an EVO motor..... You will be glad you did...

Get Adobe Flash player

Well ....

Personally I wouldn't molest a XLX ..... Those was made just like the 1000cc XR's but for having the Ironhead motor instead of the XR ...
    Be a day that they will command a high dollar... Not a whole lot of them was made...

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh... So your buying an EVO Sporty frame not an EVO frame?????? Well Hell Jesse should be of help with that???

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh Hell No ....

I'm not taking any part in molesting a XLX ..... No Sir ... !!!
    Ain't going to happen ...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 06-21-2017 at 9:19 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got a plan to title the result? Title passes with frame on that year.

Best way to do that project (assuming it's for riding instead of static display) is sell the Ironhead and buy a late Evo donor. You get a vastly better engine in every respect which bolts in, and you can have a zip disk and flap wheel party to switch the tubular neck off the Evo donor to your Paughco frame.

You may have to live to be quite ancient before an XLX in anything but very nice, very stock condition brings enough bank to have been worth hanging on to. If I encountered one I'd clean it up, post a price that would make me happy, then Ebay it with a suitable reserve.

Sometimes the best way to do something is to do something different instead. If someone asked me the best way to use oven cleaner on their scrotum I'd be curious why and suggest alternatives.

Damn, some of you guys are damn funny!! I love the part about the oven cleaner!! LOL. I don't want to chop up this XLX. Thought about selling it and buying an evo, and I just might go that way because I absolutely HATE destroying a piece of history. Anybody want to buy a 1983 XLX 1000 61 in Florida?

Well, just out of curiosity I called the manufacturer and I was correct. The 1983 sportster XLX engine will bolt in (except the top mount) to the frame I have which states will accept 1986 to 2003 sportster 883 to 1200cc engines. The rear brakes bolt up, everything is basically the same as a 1986 sportster except the heads/barrels. I'm going to try to sell/trade the XLX for an evo, but if I can't the engine is gonna be used. I can keep the frame as I haven't titles it in my name yet, so down the road the engine and frame (matching numbers 1983 XLX) can be kept together.

dino

Share This