CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Haifley Hardtail, non-Haifley Seat Options?

So I did some searching on the forum and was surprised to find that it didn't seem this question had been asked yet. Looking at getting the Haifley sporty hardtail. My buddy has one (that lives in my garage), so I have been inspecting that fairly closely.

The one thing that bothers me is that it seems like the only seats that would be compatible would be a Haifley seat, or a custom made seat, due to the fact that the area where the backbone joins the center post is raised above the rails.

I thought about welding a flat piece of steel over that area, but then you lose access to the battery (assuming I will use the Haifley oil bag with battery tray).

Thought about hacking off the top half of the backbone in that area, but not sure if that will compromise the structural integrity of the joint that lies underneath.

Thought that I was maybe overthinking it, so I pulled my old Drag Specialties K&Q off my CB and set it on, but there is quite the gap between the underside of the seat and the rails, especially if you wanted to attach it with a hinge.

Anyone else been in this situation, and found a viable option?

Get Adobe Flash player

I know exactly what yer talking about. On my Haifley sporty I just banged out a sheet metal seat pan and had my girl sew up a cover. Making the pan and foam is easy and you can have a local upholstery shop make u a cover. Definitely much less than the Haifley seats. On the other hand you can shave Yer backbone down at an angle to bring it flush with the rest of the seat area.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm not opposed to making a custom seat, one of the things on my list of to-do's. But I have a handful of old K&Q seats in the garage, so I think I might opt for shaving the backbone.

Have you done that personally / know anyone that has shaved it? I question whether Haifley left it the way it is because it made for convenient/clean seat attachment, or if it serves a structural purpose in relation to the center post.

Get Adobe Flash player

I can't speak to what their intention/purpose was, but I have indeed chopped it down on mine. Mine was a different issue. I didn't shave mine. I made my seat fit the bump but later switched to a larger battery that wouldn't fit front to back so I cut off a good hunk of that post. Email the Haifley Bros. If yer concerned. They are helpful and quick to reply.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would cut it flush and weld in a plate without a second thought.

Get Adobe Flash player

Another way around it is to just run a sprung seat. I ran a shitty sprung cobra seat on mine and I loved it.

Share This