Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hardtailing12
    • Mar 2014

Four speed popping out of neutral

I've attached a video showing how my tranny won't stay in neutral as soon as I kick it over it pops into gear. Clutch isn't dragging or slipping. Springs pull evenly. Pops out easily. Any help or tips will be appreciated.
  • hardtailing12
    • Mar 2014

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Either you have bent shifter forks of it's not set up in neutral... How old is the trans??? Has it been rebuilt recently????

Comment

• hardtailing12
        • Mar 2014

Thanks tatto. I popped the lid off last week and everything looked solid and straight. Trans is 73 . Internals weren't rebuilt.Both kicker cover and lid are nos chrome parts. . I installed the lid with the drum in nuetral position.You think my pushrod needs adjusting? Bike was running good a couple weeks ago.

Comment

• fastfiat
          • Oct 2014

Did you look at the detente spring?

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by hardtailing12
            Thanks tatto. I popped the lid off last week and everything looked solid and straight. Trans is 73 . Internals weren't rebuilt.Both kicker cover and lid are nos chrome parts. . I installed the lid with the drum in nuetral position.You think my pushrod needs adjusting? Bike was running good a couple weeks ago.

Why did you take the lid off??? Ok so your saying you changed the lid??? If you did just because it was in Neutral doesn't mean it is.... That's why they make a tool to set up a lid in neutral....
            Last edited by Tattooo; 06-14-2017, 4:27 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Pawl carrier bushing looks worn .... Shifter pawls and shaft might also be in bad shape.... ???

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• hardtailing12
                • Mar 2014

Have not checked out the detente spring. I installed the new lid cause the original was starting to crack and leaked oil, friend had this one laying around. I made sure the forks were centerd and not locked in gear.and caps were on when installing the new one . I might just pull it out agin this week and try to borrow the tool to see if that was the problem . Yeah it shifts through all gears just won't stay in neutral .

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by hardtailing12
                  Have not checked out the detente spring. I installed the new lid cause the original was starting to crack and leaked oil, friend had this one laying around. I made sure the forks were centerd and not locked in gear.and caps were on when installing the new one . I might just pull it out agin this week and try to borrow the tool to see if that was the problem . Yeah it shifts through all gears just won't stay in neutral .

That's your problem it's the new lid... The forks are not supposed to be centered... Set it up like the manual says and you will be back to riding before you know it....

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
                    Pawl carrier bushing looks worn .... Shifter pawls and shaft might also be in bad shape.... ???

He has a new lid.... At least that's what he said......

Comment

• hardtailing12
                      • Mar 2014

yeah it's nos . Hmm ok I I'll pop it and see what I got in there this weekend

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

Sounds like something is up with the detent ...???

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• hardtailing12
                          • Mar 2014

Long shot but anyone in the Bay Area have this tool I could borrow . Just for a weekend

Comment

• SamHain
                            • Apr 2024

You can set forks without the tool. Put one side of the lid on a long neutral, carefully set the lid on/take it off and shim the fork as needed. Repeat for other fork.

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by SamHain
                              You can set forks without the tool. Put one side of the lid on a long neutral, carefully set the lid on/take it off and shim the fork as needed. Repeat for other fork.
                              Yea you can do that but it won't be right..... I've seen many people set them up that way and have problems.....Off the bike on a bench it's 50/50 on the bike 30%. That's what he did and look what he's got now?????

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;