Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmoney
    • Nov 2015

Trans, primary, evo alignment ----- help

bought a couple basket cases and now trying to mix match to get something to whip

background
    rigid frame
    bottom breather evo
    tp eng. trans
    open 3" belt primary

primary doesn't seem to line up (vertically) with the engine

either the engine is too low

or

the trans is too high

trans plate is flat and mounts flush to the bottom of the trans case

no paint on the frame, no seatpost/trans clearance issue etc

the only way i can get good alignment is to prop the rear engine mount about 1/8" --- is this cool to shim just the rear of the engine??

does anyone offer a trans plate that is thinner or can lower the trans by X amount?

Thanks,
    J
  • BadMonkeyMW
    • Jul 2010

It's not unusual to have to shim an engine sometimes, but what I'm wondering is what dimension you mean to say that it's out of alignment. If you mean that a line drawn horizontally between the sprocket shaft of the engine and the mainshaft of the tranny is not perfectly level, who cares? It won't affect anything. As long as the two components are aligned in the vertical plane, you're fine. I've seen many custom bikes where they raise the tranny way up in the frame to allow, say, a custom oil tank to be mounted underneath it.

I'm not sure you really have a problem, unless there's something I'm misunderstanding.

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

if you need to shim the rear mount, torque down those rear bolts first and check the front mount clearance.
      you might need to shim them as well.
      also watch the rear rocker box to frame clearance...

Comment

• jmoney
        • Nov 2015

thanks broseffi's for the feedback.... ill be shimming the back motor mount. GM Starter shims seem to work quite idea for rear (as well as the front and the tranny plate.

here is a picture of what i was trying to get at: Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1296962

Comment

• Sky
          • Aug 2009

A straight line is a straight line.
          Busted motormounts suck.
          Think about moving the holes in the primary backing plate instead.
          There are benefits to raising the trans. Ground clearance at the clutch basket and less sideload on thee mainshaft.

Comment

• nmaineron
            • Nov 2010

The EVO trans plate is thinner than the shovel , I don't know if it lowers the tranny but by looking at it seems to lower the transmission.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;