Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FatChibs
    • Feb 2014

33.4mm Spoolie Question

I want to put a spool wheel on my ironhead w/ 33.4mm forks. The axle, as I understand it, is ~.6685 , pretty much 17mm (.6693). What are my options?

1. Making the axle fit? Turning it down to 5/8s

2. Finding bearings with the right OD with a 17mm ID.

3. Finding a specific hub/bearings for my forks (unlikely)

Tried searching for more info but thought i'd float the question out there.
  • FatChibs
    • Feb 2014

Anyone have a second opinion on what I could to to fit up a spool wheel to my 33.4mm fork setup?

Comment

• Trucker233
      • Nov 2016

What did you wind up doing? Working on the same problem. I have a 3/4 axle, planning on shortening and rethreading but would love to know if there is a bearing solution. I was told by my bearing supplier impossible.

Comment

• FatChibs
        • Feb 2014

3/4 axle?

we talking about the same thing here man? 33.4 mm fork axle?

anyways heres a bearing that fits the bill , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i used a tc bros spool wheel one of the cheapest best quality ones available.
        Last edited by FatChibs; 02-20-2019, 8:49 PM.

Comment

• MOTher
          • Sep 2012

Lowbrow sells a spool hub with 3/4" bearings. https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/chopp...b-40-hole.html

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Trucker233
            What did you wind up doing? Working on the same problem. I have a 3/4 axle, planning on shortening and rethreading but would love to know if there is a bearing solution. I was told by my bearing supplier impossible.
            Ya, impossible; if the 62304/17 bearing fits FatChibs' spool hub on a 33.4 front end, which has a 52mm OD and is 21mm wide, then for a 3/4" ID, look here:
            3/4"x52x21 Sealed Bearing...$12.95
            3/4" x 52mm x 21mm Ball Bearing One Bearing 3/4" x 52mm x 21mm Ball Bearing, Inner diameter is 3/4" inch, the outer diameter is 52mm and the width is 21mm, bearing Bearing is made of Chrome Steel, bearing has 2 Rubber Seals to protect the bearing from

What are the dimensions of the hub you have for your 3/4" axle?
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• shovel625
              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by FatChibs
              I want to put a spool wheel on my ironhead w/ 33.4mm forks. The axle, as I understand it, is ~.6685 , pretty much 17mm (.6693). What are my options?

Here is what ive done, turn axle down to 5/8, trick here is that you need to make a spacer for the axle to slide into on the leg bottom, left side if your facing the bike, pretty easy to turn down out of brass in a lathe.

second option is to buy a 17mm hub, they are around $200

third option is to make a 3/4 OD with 5/8 or 17mm ID sleve that slides inside the hub but fits a 5/8 or 17mm axle, whichever size you use

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

The answer for you is #2.

Standard ball bearings typically have metric dimensions, like the ball bearings in the drum brake XL front hub (or rear hub for that matter).
                Figure out the OD of the bearing your hub uses, and find a bearing that fits both hub and axle.

There are inch series ball bearings as well, an example being the inner primary ball bearing in four speed primaries.

There are also specialty hybrid bearings that are metric OD, and inch ID. These were common for spools used on 3/4 axles, so common that Drag Specialties and other distributors sold them at one time.

Long answer, but as T, above has already pointed out, the bearings are available for almost any combo.

Jim

Comment

• FatChibs
                  • Feb 2014

i know you guys are on top of things here but this post is near two years old, i swapped the bearings long ago.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

Great, good to know what you did too; just helping the other guy who had a - similar, or same -problem; Trucker233.
                    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

i know you guys are on top of things here but this post is near two years old, i swapped the bearings long ago.
                      You brought the subject up, but many others read the threads. That's the whole point. Sharing knowledge and experience will hopefully help several people, as well as solving your particular problem. It would have been good if you posted your solution to your own problem, along with bearing numbers, to aid others who are reading. Feedback is gold, in anything.

Jim

Comment

• FatChibs
                        • Feb 2014

not enough coffee this morning u right

Comment

• CaptainZoop
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by shovel625
                          Here is what ive done, turn axle down to 5/8, trick here is that you need to make a spacer for the axle to slide into on the leg bottom, left side if your facing the bike, pretty easy to turn down out of brass in a lathe.

second option is to buy a 17mm hub, they are around $200

third option is to make a 3/4 OD with 5/8 or 17mm ID sleve that slides inside the hub but fits a 5/8 or 17mm axle, whichever size you use
                          I know this thread is dated but I am trying to do this same thing but with timken style bearings and I’m leaning towards the third option listed here. I have a mag wheel with 3/4 timken bearings that I’m trying to run on a 33.4 axle but I haven’t been able to find any bearings with a 17mm ID to swap out.

I don’t have access to a lathe to make my own sleeve but I do have a drill press to drill the ID if I can find a length of spacer material that fits the 3/4 OD.

My main question is which would be better or actually work:

Using a 17mm ID, 3/4 OD sleeve that is the whole length of the axle and then using axle spacers with a 3/4 ID

Or

Using a 17mm ID, 3/4 OD sleeve that is only the length of the hub (from bearing to bearing) and then using axle spacers with a 17mm ID

I know that pressure needs to be even across the whole setup when everything is tightened down but I can’t figure which one of these options would work best..

Comment

• shovel625
                            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by CaptainZoop
                            I know this thread is dated but I am trying to do this same thing but with timken style bearings and I’m leaning towards the third option listed here. I have a mag wheel with 3/4 timken bearings that I’m trying to run on a 33.4 axle but I haven’t been able to find any bearings with a 17mm ID to swap out.

I don’t have access to a lathe to make my own sleeve but I do have a drill press to drill the ID if I can find a length of spacer material that fits the 3/4 OD.

My main question is which would be better or actually work:

Using a 17mm ID, 3/4 OD sleeve that is the whole length of the axle and then using axle spacers with a 3/4 ID

Or

Using a 17mm ID, 3/4 OD sleeve that is only the length of the hub (from bearing to bearing) and then using axle spacers with a 17mm ID

I know that pressure needs to be even across the whole setup when everything is tightened down but I can’t figure which one of these options would work best..
                            im not sure that a mag wheel fits, i tried it once with a 19 mag and decided that id have to clearence the hub in my mill and never did.

Comment

• confab
                              • May 2019

You can find a bunch of tubing with various dimensions at McMasterCarr or a place like Alro Metals has racks and racks full of seconds to pick through.

This option would hold your timken spacer straight, right?

Not sure what you're building, but is 5/8 large enough to safely serve as an axle on a big twin?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;