Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penguin74
    • Apr 2017

Triple Tree Help

I am currently building an ironhead into an S120 frame. I want to run my original 35mm forks but am having a difficult time finding the right triple trees. The S120 frame has a big twin neck and so none of the 35mm trees I have tried have a stem long enough. I know I can't use a stock Sportster Triple tree, but so far I have tried two different FX trees: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/230-544 and http://www.jpcycles.com/product/230-463 and neither have had a long enough stem. Could someone point me in the right direction of what year bikes had 35mm lower trees with a stem long enough for a big twin neck? Just a rough estimation to me it looks like I need a stem about 9 inches long.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

I'm not familiar with a S120 frame. But could it be you have the wrong neck cups?

Comment

• Penguin74
      • Apr 2017

Its a paughco Frame with a big twin neck, so I used these big twin neck cups: http://www.motoparthub.com/24_0231_V...9KkxoCtKXw_wcB

I hadn't thought about the neck cups as being the problem though. I didn't realize that there were different types of neck cups for Big Twin necks.
      Last edited by Penguin74; 06-05-2017, 7:28 AM.

Comment

• FatChibs
        • Feb 2014

For my build i ordered paughco big twin cups and bearings, and a cast vtwin lower tree. Not sure why that wouldnt work in your situation
        Last edited by FatChibs; 06-05-2017, 7:50 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Penguin74
          Its a paughco Frame with a big twin neck, so I used these big twin neck cups: http://www.motoparthub.com/24_0231_V...9KkxoCtKXw_wcB

I hadn't thought about the neck cups as being the problem though. I didn't realize that there were different types of neck cups for Big Twin necks.

Those cups look very thick but it's hard to tell by a pic... Those should work by there description.... I wish I could be of more help...

Comment

• Penguin74
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by FatChibs
            For my build i ordered paughco big twin cups and bearings, and a cast vtwin lower tree. Not sure why that wouldnt work in your situation
            Do you remember what lower tree specifically? Like I said I've tried a few different ones that I would have called Vtwin tree's and they all have been too short.

Comment

• FatChibs
              • Feb 2014

Well my lower tree was for 33.4mm forks - http://www.jpcycles.com/product/230-468

So you will need a lower tree for 35mm. I think its important you get some factory oem part numbers for the lower tree. You need to reference a big twin model that has 35mm triple trees. If you do a little research (ill be able to help with this later im at work at the moment) you can find a model with 35mm forks and get the part number for the entire triple tree from a factory parts manual. Once you have that part # you can reference JPCycles / Vtwin / Ebay to buy the correct tree. In some instances the top tree is the same on both big twins and sportsters but i cannot say whether this is true in all cases. The sportster and big twin use different attachment methods for the top and lower trees

Comment

• Penguin74
                • Apr 2017

Well so thats how I landed on the two triple trees I have tried so far. The research I could come up with was saying FX models 71-84 would have the right trees I would need. I found an FX parts catalog and came up with the part numbers 45608-77A and 45608-84 and those are the ones I've ordered from J&P with no luck. I am not sure of what other big twin models ran 35mm forks to look for more part numbers.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Penguin74
                  Well so thats how I landed on the two triple trees I have tried so far. The research I could come up with was saying FX models 71-84 would have the right trees I would need. I found an FX parts catalog and came up with the part numbers 45608-77A and 45608-84 and those are the ones I've ordered from J&P with no luck. I am not sure of what other big twin models ran 35mm forks to look for more part numbers.
                  Well I guess I'll be the one to say the obvious question..... What trees did paughco say you needed to use???

Comment

• FatChibs
                    • Feb 2014

Just to chime in Tattooo I spoke with paughco about this less than six months ago, I used their big twin neck cups and bearings and used a big twin stem/tree for my forks. Pics of the setup being too short would help

Comment

• Penguin74
                      • Apr 2017

I'll get some pics uploaded tonight. I haven't spoken with Paughcho but unless their neck cups are significantly slimmer than the ones I've used I don't think that would make any difference. A big twin neck should be a big twin neck no matter what frame it is hooked to.

Comment

• Sky
                        • Aug 2009

Sure your neck is meant to use cups?
                        late ironheads in evo style frames had necks that simply accept races.
                        Might have been an option from Paughco to be set up the same

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sky
                          Sure your neck is meant to use cups?
                          late ironheads in evo style frames had necks that simply accept races.
                          Might have been an option from Paughco to be set up the same

Yep, There are so many different set ups and without really seeing pics of what he is using it's hard to give good advice...

Comment

• Penguin74
                            • Apr 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170605_171754635_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	1296827

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170605_171859017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	1296828

Here's what I'm working with. The top picture is 45608-77A and the bottom one is 45608-84. Both ended up having the same stem length and I don't have enough stem sticking out to hook the top tree on.

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Thanks for the pics.... Now were getting somewhere.... Now post a pic of your top tree and the nut your trying to use.... It looks right so far.... I bet you have the wrong top nut or top tree....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;