Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duckbanger
    • Apr 2024

The Mothership: 86 1100 Sporty Build

I originally hadn't planned on doing a build thread for this bike but I figured that since this was my first "real" build you guys that actually know what your doing will hopefully step in and help me along the way. My plans were to build a shovel but since I'm still a complete newbie I felt it was better to settle on a '86 XLH1100 Sportster and a Kraft-Tech frame that I came across for the right price. And if anyone has any info or things to watch out for on these 1100 like the stator being on the clutch it would be much appreciated. I've only talked to two people who put miles on these bikes and said they loved them so I'm just looking for more input.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3139.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	1341619

Name:	IMG_3138.jpg
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	1341620

So I finally got my hands on a set of narrow trees and a pair of DIY rabbit ears that were pre-bent.

Name:	IMG_3172.jpg
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	1341621

Also got the tank mounted up and decided to go with 39mm 6 over on the forks

Name:	IMG_3195.jpg
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	1341622
    Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2017, 10:39 PM.
  • duckbanger
    • Apr 2024

After getting the wrong sliders sent to me and having the new ones shaved I decided to paint my tank since I had some ideas floating around. I give you guys props that do detail mural and paint work on these tanks! It's definitely no easy task and found out how time consuming it really is, and I would only go as far to say my tank is decent at most.
    Just a pic to show the stripe work before laying the black down. Also this color is matched off of my Gibson goldtop Les Paul guitar.

Name:	IMG_3206.jpg
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	1296771

Name:	IMG_3217.jpg
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	1296772

Name:	IMG_3218.jpg
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	1296773

Name:	IMG_3219.jpg
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	1296774

Name:	IMG_3220.jpg
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	1296775
    Sorry for some of these images being sideways. Not sure how to fix that yet

Comment

• duckbanger
      • Apr 2024

So I got to a point where I mounted up the engine and found that Kraft-Tech oil tank tabs are not really versatile so I had to make new tabs for the oil tank that I wanted to run. I also had to relocate where the battery was since I wanted to run it in front of the rear tire; so I had to hack at the frame some more, but this gives you an idea of where she's headed.

Name:	IMG_3283.jpg
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	1296776

After getting the oil tabs and battery squared away I got the fender & sissy bar mounted up

Name:	IMG_3328.JPG
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	1296777

And now this past week I'm working on getting the seat together so that I can send it off to get covered. Not too sure how I'm going to go about mounting it to the front of the frame. I've seen it done a number of different ways but not sure what would be best. This is just thrown together on the frame, I haven't made the final cuts or tacked it together yet

Name:	IMG_3342.jpg
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	1296778
      sideways pics...
      Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
        • Apr 2012

Looks good, and like fun. I have/had an 86 Evo sporty as well. Picked it up cheap from a local HD dealer and nobody wanted it, was a bit abused. But dont know all what was done for sure,, but has an S&S Super E shorty, S&S Teardrop cleaner, allegedly a 1200 kit and allegedly some sort of cams.
        Other than some wiring, switch issues, problems with Battery cables was pretty pain free. Was my daily rider for about 3.5 years with some variations of body work, seats, bars etc during that time. But was my go-to beater.
        Got rear ended by a speeding drunk driver who was texting. (Me =45-50 mph, Audi 75-80mph totaled her car) There is pix of my scoot post accident on the main forum page about Frame jig kits (Not the giveaway thread but the other one). I bought it back from the Insurance co. $800 which seemed like a deal. Motor still good and many parts. Gonna put it in a jig and check the main loop for bent, if not too bad will hard tail it, If its totally wack, will swap all the parts into another aftermarket frame. (I have one already with MSO).

So, yep... I got one, and this summer will be a build. Got all kinds of chop parts sitting on the shelf. Its time. I didnt have problems with clutch, alternator, or anything else really but keep'n an eye on that stuff.

Was riding the shit out of my wifes year 2000 883 with a few mods,, difference between the 2 is night and day. (As well as my Buells). The 86 is a more reliable bike than any Iron head I had, but it FEELS like an Ironhead. brakes, tranny, clutch motor. The motor in my wifes scoot is a 5 speed and way different feel. I think the early style Evo with 4 speed is suited to a chop or bobber. Never gonna be suited to a cafe racer.
        So, thats my $0.02 on them.

Comment

• duckbanger
          • Apr 2024

Thanks for the info Doug! That makes me feel better about putting some serious miles on this engine. And I've been riding a four speed for a while and actually prefer them. That sucks about your bike, hate when shit like that happens. Hopefully she'll go together smooth, and post up some pics when you get started!

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
            • Apr 2012

Cool, I suppose this thread might be better in the "Everything Sporty section" but no sweat on my end. Be cool to see how yours comes together. As i said, mine had some issues when I got it, and had to rebuild and rejet the Super E carb. Then a lot of maintenance on the wiring and switchs. On all my sporties have had a lot of problems with the battery cables and battery terminals. Had one catch fire once (The 86) from the heat of a bad terminal connection at the battery. The insulation caught fire. It was in a Taco bell parking lot and everyone got quite excited. Had to try and put it out while fending off an overly exuberant Taco Bell employee who wanted to douche me and the bike with a fire extinguisher. I had good Leather gloves (Gauntlet gloves) and jammed my fingers in and put out the fire, and smoldering plastic. The top of the batter terminal melted so that was a tow truck ride home. (And another AGM battery). But biggest thing is just keep an eye on things. Took a licking and kept on ticking.
            While I was in the trauma unit they cut all my clothes off me and I was covered in oil. I thought it was from the bike. I was amazed when I saw the bike. It turns out it was a tranny cooler and power steering fluid from the car that hit me. (I was told her car was totaled) They used me for a teaching case at the trauma unit and very lucky to be alive. Ducati parts and probably God saved me.
            I had some Ducati parts in my backpack wrapped in bubble wrap and 2 Ducati calenders and it acted as a Spine protector and probably saved my life or at least paralysis. They had a interesting analysis of the parts at the ER. The Ducati shop was also amazed to see the parts later. (998 super bike alloy radiator, who knew it also works as body armour?)
            I am looking fwd to some fun with my build and mock up soon. Been too long and its time.
            I will say I dont know what kind of work was ever done before I owned mine. As time went on, i got more and more nervous about the cam followers and it was starting to leak at the heads or pushrods. I had been seeing past cases of cam followers going bad and thought about changing them just for peace of mind.
            When I have mine torn down, I think I am going to freshen up the top end and swap out the cam followers as another issue is when they sit, and mine has now sat for 3 years is the needle bearings can be damaged with corrosion. Restarting after all that time can be catastrophic. So, some gaskets and cam followers are cheap compared to grenaded cams and motor. Thats the only major surgery I have planned. When I bought mine it was so affordable I didnt care if it blew up eventually.,.I had already gotten my moneys worth out of it. But If i invest the time and labor in a build,, I want the motor to stay together.
            Best of luck on yours...Sportsters rule!

Comment

• duckbanger
              • Apr 2024

So I haven't really had time to get on and post since working during the day and then coming home to get as much done on the bike at night as I can before I leave on vacation. I got the seat pan built and off to upholstery a few weeks ago and it came back better than I could've imagined. The frame and the rest of the tins are at work so I can get all those painted hopefully in the up coming week.

Name:	IMG_3381.jpg
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	1297265

Name:	IMG_3440.jpg
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	1297268

I ended up stripping the old paint that was on the engine when I got it and decided to paint it again. I didn't realize that the high temp paint I had gotten was a matte black but I kinda like it and think it will look good once I sand the fins. If everything goes as planned I should be able to start wiring this bike either the first or second week in August.

Name:	IMG_3439.jpg
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	1297267
              Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;