Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Down
    • Jan 2016

What is your comfort speed?

I've always been into choppers. Always. Only last year did I have enough cash to buy me my very first cruiser. Then I went and got a Sporty. Slowly chopping away on it. Having the time of my life! I've had a dirtbike since I was a kid. Now I'm closing in on 30 years. So, not new to bikes but definitely new to riding on the street. Well, legally anyways. I'm not that big of a guy. Not tall, not overly muscular. Shit, I'm 5'5" and skinny.

Now for the real point of this whole damn post; what is your comfortable cruising speed and on what bike/setup? Do you guys do 60+ mph for a long time on a chopper? I just get completely exhausted doing 60 mph for 20 miles, the wind gets the best of me. I'm not gripping too hard, but it sure as hell gets tiring after a while. I feel like a fucking sail on my bike. I can do 50 for days, no problem. Narrow bars will more than likely solve my problem. Just got me thinking about what other people feel.
  • OleDirtyDoc
    • Jul 2013

ride more

Comment

• WillSCB
      • Dec 2014

I tend to go with what the bike I am on feels comfortable at. My 06 Thruxton (that just recently died after 103,000 miles of abuse) was comfortable on the highway at about 85-90 mph. Right now, I am riding an 85 700 magna that is happiest going 75-80. Been on a lot of different bikes, and they all have their spot where the engine and such are happiest. Not sure if this is the information you are looking for, but figured I would put my two cents in. There is also something to be said for the reply above to "ride more.)P If you don't put a lot of time in the saddle, you aren't working the muscle groups that get fatigued after a long ride, so just find the speed your bike is happiest at, and ride.

Comment

• Fings369
        • Oct 2016

40-45mph around town. 80+ at least so I don't get run over by boxes on the interstate. 89 softail very comfortable, constantly changing things...

Comment

• hsoj74
          • Sep 2012

on my softail 60-70 and on my panhead 50-60...I run out of road before I get tired....island life.

I must say, on the pan 60 feels like 80 though....
          Last edited by hsoj74; 06-01-2017, 1:31 PM.

Comment

• shank1kole
            • Dec 2015

I haven't had a speedometer in like 13 years so i go with the flow , or pass. but it sounds like you just need more time on the road and not fight the bike.

Comment

• Bbqbiker
              • May 2015

The BBQBIKER suggests using his personal diet which is a rich blend of pork ribs brisket ribeye macaroni and cheese pasta salad potato salad baked beans throw in some Ben & Jerry's and some bourbon with cheap beer and you'll bulk up to a solid 250 pounds like me (evenly distributed with no back fat) and now you'll cut through the wind like a cinderblock nothing will stop you cruise at 85 with 18" apes and you'll be like a jacked flying squirrel roaring down the highway, unstoppable blasting fast and loud!

My humble opinion

Comment

• 7and7is
                • Dec 2012

For me when I go out for a leisurely cruise out on my Carolina back roads, 45 to 60 (Estimated, no speedo), and most of the time by the end of the ride it gets rather spirited, speeds can vary from 65 to 70, but just cruising, like I said 45 to 60, i purposely slow it down sometime just to enjoy the scenery.

Comment

• image1
                  • Aug 2009

20 miles?! are you kidding me?

i've done 500/day MANY times on a FULLY RIGID bike (at highway speed 65-80 depending on the road...)

was i tired/sore at the end of the day? yea, a little, but not sore enough to keep from riding another 3-400 the next 17 days in a row...

not tryin to turn this into an 'i'm a badass' competition, but either your bike isn't set up very well, or you're feet are a bit tender.

Comment

• govmule84
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by image1
                    20 miles?! are you kidding me?

i've done 500/day MANY times on a FULLY RIGID bike (at highway speed 65-80 depending on the road...)

was i tired/sore at the end of the day? yea, a little, but not sore enough to keep from riding another 3-400 the next 17 days in a row...

not tryin to turn this into an 'i'm a badass' competition, but either your bike isn't set up very well, or you're feet are a bit tender.
                    That's why he's posting. I dunno, man, go the speed you like. Me? Sometimes I fly and sometimes I dawdle. I go where and when and how far I feel like going by myself. If you're with friends, either you'll rise to the occasion or they'll slow down and wait for you. Or maybe they won't, and they weren't that great of friends anywho.

If you want to ride at 50 mph, ride at 50. Who the fuck cares what everyone else does?
                    Last edited by govmule84; 06-02-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Confucius says: ... He who ride the fastest, rides alone !!
                      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• lugie
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by govmule84

If you want to ride at 50 mph, ride at 50. Who the fuck cares what everyone else does?

Ah! come on now, just cause you can't keep up doesn't mean you don't care!

Comment

• govmule84
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by lugie
                          My powers of apathy are second only to my ability to ride a motorcycle real slow.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by lugie
                            You better watch out he might ban you over on JJ..........

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by govmule84
                              My powers of apathy are second only to my ability to ride a motorcycle real slow.

You got that shit right......

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;