Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtoepfer67
    • May 2017

War gasser front end

Just picked up a 75 ironhead rigid with a super narrow front end made by war gasser looked them up seems like it's gunna be rough to put a front brake on it... I'm trying to commute on it as much as possible and just need to figure a way to get a front brake on it I could use some opinions and heard this was a great place to ask for ideas.... Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1341609Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1341610Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1341611Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1341612
    Last edited by mtoepfer67; 05-31-2017, 11:20 AM.
  • vanderkalin
    • Sep 2014

No idea but this should probably go in the main forum. Wish they could delete threads that they move from the forum its moved from. Good luck.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Best method is swap the front end and wheel for a later model 39mm setup with dual discs since you can sell yours as a unit to someone who doesn't mind being a meat crayon. They can shave the stock caliper mounts from the sliders if they wish. Someone didn't bother and just bolted on the narrow trees and wheel.

Four-piston calipers from much later Sporties are preferable, or you can use outstanding Jap sport bike calipers with adapters. Stock calipers on early narrow glides are shit on a good day.
      Last edited by farmall; 05-31-2017, 5:53 PM.

Comment

• mtoepfer67
        • May 2017

So to clarify your saying no matter what I have to switch the front end to get a front brake set up... or that a jap sport bike caliper and a aftermarket mount might fit? And hey thanks for responding and helping me out I don't wanna be a meat crayon

Comment

• fastfiat
          • Oct 2014

Not that familiar with sportster drum brakes but you might be able to go that route if its not to wide.

Comment

• xnewmanx
            • Aug 2012

I would say there is zero chance of running a spoked wheel and brake with that tube spacing. Switch to a mag wheel and MAYBE but it's heavy heavy fab work.

If you want a front brake just swap out the front end.

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by xnewmanx
              I would say there is zero chance of running a spoked wheel and brake with that tube spacing. Switch to a mag wheel and MAYBE but it's heavy heavy fab work.

If you want a front brake just swap out the front end.
              2nded. Even putting a front brake on a 35mm front end with a spoked 21" can be an f'n bitch (ask me how I know?).

Comment

• Blackbetty
                • Apr 2011

That's a bitchin front end. Live life on the edge, mannnn

Comment

• Gvermin
                  • Mar 2012

lowbrow has a 21 front with mini drum, 5/8 axle, 3.5in hub. doubt it's gonna give you much breaking power.

Comment

• DIABOLUS
                    • Sep 2013

The age-old dilemma of having to choose between a super-skinny/clean front end and being able to stop decently.

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by mtoepfer67
                      So to clarify your saying no matter what I have to switch the front end to get a front brake set up... or that a jap sport bike caliper and a aftermarket mount might fit? And hey thanks for responding and helping me out I don't wanna be a meat crayon
                      Not "or", there's no room. A sport bike caliper (or two, dual discs are a good thing) is an option with a stock front end but wouldn't fit that one.

Some details on the swap from other 33ers.

I found a fork off a '95 sporty that I'd like to use on my ironhead. As I understand, the '95 is a 39mm vs. 35mm on my '77. The fork comes with the lower tree w/ steering shaft, tubes, sliders and a caliper. Provided that I got a 39mm upper tree, would this work on my '77? The question I guess is are the steering shafts the

Comment

• pantspisser
                        • Jul 2014

The only chance of a front stopper on that narrow front end is a drum and even that may not fit. Find out how much room you got in between the forks at the axle. The easiest bet is to sell it or trade it though if having a front stopper is vital.

Comment

• mtoepfer67
                          • May 2017

Well thanks for all the info I love the clean front end even if I switch it out I'm gunna keep it for when I get a more daily bike and switch it out

Comment

• Jeremy24
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by mtoepfer67
                            Well thanks for all the info I love the clean front end even if I switch it out I'm gunna keep it for when I get a more daily bike and switch it out
                            I have a sporty dual disk 35mm complete front, a single disk front end if yiur looking

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                              • Apr 2012

I personally am a big fan of having brakes, On a bike 70% of your breaking comes from the front end. Just my opinion but no front brakes and some of the styling stuff is best left for show bikes and trailer queens (Same for suicide shifters). Ride hard or pose,, its a decision for style conscious fashionistas and hipsters..

Sonny Barger has said in one of his books he never thought HDs were any good and he felt that serious riders are about riding, not wrenching or posing and so he felt that the HA should have BMWs. This was not a popular opinion and he was overruled on that, but it does bring up some interesting thoughts of what bike culture would be like today if that had flown.... And as far as the whole "Girls bikes-sportster" thing,, in the 60s many HA rode sportys because they were faster and more agile than a Big twin. Some rode British bikes too.

Personally,, I think a custom, chopper, Bobber or cafe should look good, and PERFORM well,, High Speed, Low Drag and well built/engineered scoots stand on their own. (No poser shit) I like the old school drilled stainless discs and like a good billet caliper, but if its got some offensive asian script grind it off and Engrave PMS on it instead. (Like Performance MAchine but PMS instead, )

On old style chops with springers a good strong brake will Pogo.. (Bouncy bouncy) so they are only good holding on a hill, stop light or just coming to a stop and gently applied So thats why many started using the mini drums which were just adapted from Mini bikes and such. I have used some mini drums and went to a local shop that sells commerical grade brake materials and a local guy did some experiments with modern brake materials. (Kevlar stuff) One of my friends old Indian can now skid both front and rear, same as some of the old pans and knuckles using this material. So, the problem is the mini drums and tiny disc kits overheat if used a lot.

But one thing I have done and will be doing on 2 upcoming builds with Springers is some 1970s Asian bikes had a cable actuated Disc brake on certain small bore econonmy Yamahas and Hondas. The wheel and disc look like a normal disc brake but the caliper is CABLE actuated. The discs are stainless so set up on a drill press or mill can be drilled and looks improved, and then the whole set up is very clean and works well for the limited braking you can use on a Springer but it confuses and befuddles many who keep looking for the Master cyl.

Dual discs are not as flash as many think. The simple fact is it adds UNSPRUNG weight and more hardware and hassles. A well set up single disc with a floating rotor and a good 4 pot or 6 pot modern caliper is the way to go. My last sporty had Buell brakes and a Asian bike rotor on it and could do Stoppies. Read up on Unsprung weight and Erik Buells theorys on braking. The perimeter brakes dont look cool on a chop, but they work really well.

I Have a street tracker 1965 Triumph going together. Modified Cerrani forks with modern damping. CBR Honda hub with Full Floating rotor and 4 pot Modern Triumph caliper and master cyl (Has a nice Triumph logo on it.) Fits the style of bike, kicks ass, but still looks good.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;