Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdustin
    • Sep 2014

Idea for a chopper

So I'm on my second build up of a bike. My first was a vlx like everyone else. Lol. Currently I'm working on a vt500 ascot I'm trying to turn into a kind of dual sport street tracker. I'll have plenty of question on that on and some pics when I actually make some progress.

But I'm posing a question. My first two bikes started as running however badly projects. For my next bike I want a real chopper so that mean full on hardtail. I'm think I'll get a vlx frame and use that. Since familiar with them and they are fairly easy to hardtail. But I want to use the engine out of a cr500 two stroke dirtbike. Has anyone done anything like this or have any input?
  • 21guns
    • May 2012

Not really choppers but look for custom XR500s. The CR500 motor slots into the frames. Anythings possible really with a welder, grinder and some imagination.

Comment

• sdustin
      • Sep 2014

Yeah looking at the two engines the cr500 and vt600 and the way they mount I'm sure I could fab some mounts from plate. I just think walking up to your small bobbed hardtail and kick starting it with blue smoke and the sound of a two stroke would be really cool. And one of a kind.

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
        • Jul 2013

would be even cooler with a banshee motor...

Comment

• 21guns
          • May 2012

There was a feature in The Horse a while back that had a kawasaki 3 cylinder 2 stroke digger. Was pretty wild

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by 21guns
            There was a feature in The Horse a while back that had a kawasaki 3 cylinder 2 stroke digger. Was pretty wild
            check out www.slimsfabfarm.com

Comment

• meanEG
              • Jul 2016

I want to do something similar. My advice it a dt400. Single cylinder, air cooled, 2 stroke, easy to find parts for and cheap. The early CR's we're air cooled as well as the YZ and WR.

Comment

• pantspisser
                • Jul 2014

SDustin I've often thought about a two stroke build too and have to agree that it would be an absolute blast to ride. I looked at every stock two stroke cruiser frame I could find and always came up with a laundry list of reasons why it wasn't a good candidate i.e. double back bone, liquid cooled, shaft drive etc. it was always one thing or another. However it has already been said anything can be done with a welder and a grinder.

My question for you amigo, and this isn't coming from a place of judgment as I certainly don't think I could, but can you fabricate your own engine mounts and do major frame modifications? If you have that know how or the confidence to try I would imagine the Kawasaki H2 is the best place to start.

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
                  • Oct 2013

Originally posted by pantspisser
                  SDustin I've often thought about a two stroke build too and have to agree that it would be an absolute blast to ride. I looked at every stock two stroke cruiser frame I could find and always came up with a laundry list of reasons why it wasn't a good candidate i.e. double back bone, liquid cooled, shaft drive etc. it was always one thing or another. However it has already been said anything can be done with a welder and a grinder.

My question for you amigo, and this isn't coming from a place of judgment as I certainly don't think I could, but can you fabricate your own engine mounts and do major frame modifications? If you have that know how or the confidence to try I would imagine the Kawasaki H2 is the best place to start.
                  Have you looked at the money H2s are pulling these days?

I think the days of cheap two strokes are over.

Comment

• pantspisser
                    • Jul 2014

Ya no kidding on an H2's price tag. I was thinking more along the lines of starting with a basket case H2 or just a complete H2 motor. From there, force fabricate a titled Vlx frame to hold the H2 mill, hardtail, convert front end to an HD stem etc. the H2 frame and title isn't really that desirable IMO. The banshee motor is another viable option for sure, as is the CR or KZ 500 mills but those are all liquid cooled if I recall correctly and that is what it is. The H2 is air cooled and has kick+electric start

Comment

• COLDSTEELE
                      • Jun 2017

If you want that 2 stroke wail. Though it's water cooled find you a Suzy 750 GT Aka Water Buffalo has 3 cylinders no cooling fins all in closed in. a water jacketed oval . Brother thing sounded like a F1 car 2 stroke power band . I rode one for a few years liked it but if it did t pop after the 2nd 3rd hit of the button get one of the 3 extra plugs that had their own spaces provided. They made them in 250 up to 750 I think. Yeah sorry probably not a help Just I knew exactly what you wanted far as walking up to a street bike and folks hearing a hornets nest in place of a rumble Like the man said it's possible. If folks can shoe horn a V8 onto the ass of a VW bug Yeah you can swing it

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

The more unusual the combination the less likely the project to be completed or completed satisfactorily.

You can do anything with enough time, tools and money. The question to ask is what makes a particular choice better than another option?

Those old two strokes were fun but now they are ancient and potential money toilets, especially if the crankshaft seals or bottom end bearings shit the bed. Being weird is fun but decide if you are just throwing shit together to be random out of random old junk or really want to make something to RIDE and PUT MILES ON. If you already own something reliable to ride then have at it. If you don't own a bike you'd cheerfully take on long trips you might want to make thoughtful choices.

Comment

• sdustin
                          • Sep 2014

I have a vt1100 bone stock for my daily. And yes I'd ride it anywhere. In fact in August I'm going on an iron butt ride to key West. Itll be just over 1000 miles.

As far as the two stock build. I want to use a single as one big two stock exhaust pipe will be enough to deal with. A twin or triple would be a nightmare to deal with all the pipes. I've finally started working on my current project the 84 ascot. I still have a lot to do. I've got to make an electronics box, build a harrness, make the seat, finish the pipes they will be a 2into1 set up. Last night I got my front end squared away. Mounted headlight gauge and front fender. Now to work some over time so I can order some parts.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;