Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greesemonkey32
    • May 2017

New 79 Ironhead Project - Advice appreciated- Pictures included

I've wanted to build an older Harley into a bobber/chopper for as long as I can remember, recently I made the move and picked up a 79 Ironhead Sportster 1000. It seems to have some frame damage/ fork misalignment but not to worry because I got it for dirt cheap and was planning on buying a complete rigid frame anyways! The motor seems to be in good condition with 22,000 miles on the odometer, which seems pretty low for a 79'. Anyways, I'm currently trying to decide what kind of rigid frame I should get, Kraftech seems to be the most reasonably priced for my budget at $750 shipped - but I want to make sure it's going to fit what I want. My current vision is a rigid frame, stock forks (stock rake as well), 12" apes and a king queen seat. The closest thing I've seen to what I want is the bike listed below:

Jay Cagney is a creator of all things media. He came from an action sports background and creates work based around people's passions. Currently based in San Francisco, California and most recently was the Senior Photographer at GoPro.

I see that the forks are longer on the bike above, but overall I absolutely love the look of this bike.

I'm 6'2 and don't want to look like a monkey on a minibike if I get a rigid frame that has too short of a wheel base. Does this mean I should get a frame with a stretch? Most of the pictures I find online of rigid frames are single seat with no one sitting on them, they all look very short in terms of wheelbase, I'm having trouble finding a height comparison. Any suggestions would be great, I'm looking forward to my first harley build, as it's already consuming my life

Last edited by greesemonkey32; 05-23-2017, 6:36 PM.
  • Salty
    • Sep 2010

Im looking for that side cover that covers the battery. let me know if you end up wanting to get rid of it..

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Make sure anything that you buy for your bike will fit.... 79 is a bastard year and most things won't fit.... Forward or backwards....

Comment

• chevy2tom
        • Aug 2013

Look @ paughco or some other manufacturers for a complete frame

Comment

• greesemonkey32
          • May 2017

Once I go hardtail I may have no need for it, I'll keep you updated

Comment

• chaffin
            • Nov 2013

I have a paughco frame for a 79 sitting around but it is just stock dimensions no rake or stretch.

Comment

• greesemonkey32
              • May 2017

Update

After close inspection I believe it's just the forks that are bent, I imagine that it's pretty hard to be the actual frame of the bike anyways. Now looking into getting a weld on hardtail and possibly some new forks, thinking about going with Voodoo Vintage

Specializing in custom motorcycle parts and accessories for Chopper and Bobber motorcycles. Aftermarket parts for Harley Davidson Sportster, Triumph Bonneville, Yamaha XS 650 and many more. FREE SHIPPING ON ALL US ORDERS OVER $99!

$349 before shipping, 3.5" stretch, 2.75" drop - I think it should go well with a king queen set up.

Comment

• chaffin
                • Nov 2013

I have a led sled weld on hardtail. A very similar design. They look real good.

Comment

• 94lund
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by chaffin
                  I have a paughco frame for a 79 sitting around but it is just stock dimensions no rake or stretch.
                  if greasemonkey isn't interested in the frame I am. I have a 80 I'm looking to hardtail

Comment

• chaffin
                    • Nov 2013

Cool man just shoot me a message if you want it and I can get some pictures and we can talk price.

Comment

• greesemonkey32
                      • May 2017

Just found this bolt on hardtail,

Looks a bit odd compared to the classic weld on but the installation looks incredibly easy, I have a 220 amp MIG but not so sure I trust my experience

If anyones got pics of a 79-81 bolt on please do share

Comment

• 94lund
                        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by chaffin
                        Cool man just shoot me a message if you want it and I can get some pictures and we can talk price.
                        Hate to keep hijacking but this thread but I don't have access to a computer right now due to being out of town for work and it won't let me pm you on my phone. If you don't mind can you try pm'ing me?

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

If you aren't sure of your welding you can (and should!) practice on clean scrap, including cutting through some welds with a zip disc (6" angle grinders are wonderful things) to ensure full penetration.

Another option is to align and tack weld the hardtail then get a pro to finish weld it. Talk with the person doing the finish welding to ensure you are both on the same page. Since you have the welder they could do the work at your place. It's not a lot of welding.

You could also find out if your hardtail vendor of choice will install it for you, then ship them your old frame (trimmed to leave much more than enough for them to cut to size) to them.
                          Freight isn't bad in CONUS.

Later Sportster 39mm forks are plentiful if you want to upgrade from the old flexy front end.

Comment

• greesemonkey32
                            • May 2017

Thank you for the advice, my landlord has been welding for 30+ years and seemed exited about helping with the project. His words were "It won't look good, but the welds won't break" guess that's what you sacrifice with a MIG. Anyways, I purchased the weld on frame above and should receive it within the next 4 weeks.

As for the forks, they seemed to get a little better after loosening the triple tree and pushing down on them, what seems to be the most bent is the rubber riser mounts, looking into getting some solid ones.

The bike has a slight pull to the left when I let my hands off the bars, from the research I've don't it seems like this probably has to do with the rear wheel alignment....

Comment

• chaffin
                              • Nov 2013

Good choice with the hardtail. I went with a led sled on mine but really tossed around the voodoo vintage. Post some picks of it when it comes in if you would.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;