CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default CB750 Chopper project (this will take a very long time!)

So here we have what will be my first bike build project and I warn you know I will be learning along the way! It's also worth saying that my wife and I are in the middle of moving to be closer to family, this will take a while!

That's the bike as it currently sits, I also have 3 boxes of bits which have everything else in.

Things I'd like to do to the bike:
    Engine refurb
    Paint engine in VHT wrinkle paint
    Powder coat frame
    King and queen Seat
    Bigger sissy bar
    Forward controls
    Coffin/Peanut tank
    Dual Carbs
    4 single slashed exhausts
    Springer or Girder front end

Any help or advice about the above list would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170519_073433.jpg   IMG_20170519_073445.jpg   IMG_20170519_073456.jpg   IMG_20170519_073828.jpg  
    Last edited by xriccix; 06-24-2017 at 6:18 AM. Reason: Updated with wishlist!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, any updates? Its been a month. How did it run when you got it? How much did ya need to put down for it?

Get Adobe Flash player

Just my opinion but the girder fork is my preference. It has more potential for adjustment, the wheel mount is solid and the fork assembly is heavy enough not to become gooey. I don't have much experience with either, just from an engineering perspective, the girder seems the better mechanism.

Why go from four carbs to duels? A word of caution, you have to know your intake config before you recarb. If one cylinder opens before its manifold partner closes you'll suck in mix from that other cylinder (that I do have experience with). Those CB750s have more horsepower per cc than any other bike. Honda engineered them to the max. The way I see it, why mess with perfection? I'll recommend to leave the engine stock.

When you pick your tank, remember its volume effects range.

Quote Originally Posted by PRWIS13 View Post
    Well, any updates? Its been a month. How did it run when you got it? How much did ya need to put down for it?
    Still in the process of moving so nothing much has happened, I've slowly been collecting parts and will continue to do so. If only I lived in the states where there are so many at decent prices! Shipping is a killer!

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    Just my opinion but the girder fork is my preference. It has more potential for adjustment, the wheel mount is solid and the fork assembly is heavy enough not to become gooey. I don't have much experience with either, just from an engineering perspective, the girder seems the better mechanism.

Why go from four carbs to duels? A word of caution, you have to know your intake config before you recarb. If one cylinder opens before its manifold partner closes you'll suck in mix from that other cylinder (that I do have experience with). Those CB750s have more horsepower per cc than any other bike. Honda engineered them to the max. The way I see it, why mess with perfection? I'll recommend to leave the engine stock.

Still looking into girders, tempted to leave the front end as is for now then see how it goes. Dual carbs was simply for the looks. http://www.cyclexchange.net/Honda%20...arb%20Page.htm for reference!

Not planning to do much to the engine itself apart from check its solid and give it a good clean and repaint.

Im currently looking for a coffin tank I like!
    Last edited by xriccix; 06-24-2017 at 6:14 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

First thing you should do is get a manual. these are easy to work on, follow it and you will be ok. Next, get an impact screwdriver, you will need it to break those crappy soft headed screws loose. And you will need an inch pound torque wrench.

Forget the dual carbs. Yeah, they look cool, but trust me on this, you lose a lot of power with them. And, if they aren't lined up exactly perfectly correctly (which is almost impossible to do) one cylinder runs lean and one runs rich. If you have a set of stock Honda carbs for a CB 750, those work perfectly fine. Not saying never do them if you want, but that is a tough way to start off. Personally, I would put that money towards a Dyna electronic ignition and eliminate the points.

Lastly, if you need anything CB, contact Kate. she will get if for you at the best price. http://www.cycleonemanufacturing.com/

Other than that, its all fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    First thing you should do is get a manual. these are easy to work on, follow it and you will be ok. Next, get an impact screwdriver, you will need it to break those crappy soft headed screws loose. And you will need an inch pound torque wrench.

Forget the dual carbs. Yeah, they look cool, but trust me on this, you lose a lot of power with them. And, if they aren't lined up exactly perfectly correctly (which is almost impossible to do) one cylinder runs lean and one runs rich. If you have a set of stock Honda carbs for a CB 750, those work perfectly fine. Not saying never do them if you want, but that is a tough way to start off. Personally, I would put that money towards a Dyna electronic ignition and eliminate the points.

Lastly, if you need anything CB, contact Kate. she will get if for you at the best price. http://www.cycleonemanufacturing.com/

Other than that, its all fun.
    Thanks for the advice, I've sacked off the dual carbs for now. I have a manual, hard copy and PDF. I also already have all those tools! I have seen the cycleonemanufacturing.com website before and heard good things about them from over at hondachoppers.com. Shipping and importing can be hella expensive when trying to get stuff from the states, so i'm trying to source a lot of stuff this side of the pond.

Saying that I've manged to sort a a few bits from the states that are currently being shipped over, I'll update with pics when they arrive!

As I cant work on the bike right now I thought i'd post some pics on parts that I have bought for it

Springer arrived and I'm super happy with it, needs some work but for the price I paid it was an absolute steal.

Got 4 of these bad boys as well!

Get Adobe Flash player

Very nice start............

Small update from me, Garage is now finally ready for the CB750 frame and engine coming out of storage this weekend. Bench was built by my brother in-law and myself, only cost around 50 has he had lots of free wood . Still not the biggest space but should be fine for what I need.*

First job I want to get sorted is the carbs. This is the set that came with the bike, from what I can see right off the bat there are a few missing bits, a couple of nuts, throttle return spring and the bottom connector for the throttle return spring, I cannot seem to find a name for the damn thing or where to buy one??

Apart from being filthy the carbs look good, took the bottoms off and looks clean inside, I'm still debating a full rebuild. I guess it will come down to if i used a bread box or velocity stacks and therefore might need to use different jets.*
    The options I like are both from*http://www.steeldragonperformance.com and sexy as hell.*

I'll update again after the frame is on the bench.*

Get Adobe Flash player

Great chopper project! For stock engine parts in UK, this guy seems to have every part, even them little bits: David Silver Spares Ltd
    I didn't see what year your engine is, so just plugged in 1976 here:
    https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750K6-FOUR-1976/

This place lists parts with schematics for reference; I chose CB750K for England:
    https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k0-.../#.XH3-xbiaXF8
    see example of carbs below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honda-cb750k0-four-england-carburetor-keihin_medium3IMG0026-0101_9109.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	91662

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Great chopper project! For stock engine parts in UK, this guy seems to have every part, even them little bits: David Silver Spares Ltd
    I didn't see what year your engine is, so just plugged in 1976 here:
    https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750K6-FOUR-1976/

This place lists parts with schematics for reference; I chose CB750K for England:
    https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k0-.../#.XH3-xbiaXF8
    see example of carbs below:

Name:	honda-cb750k0-four-england-carburetor-keihin_medium3IMG0026-0101_9109.jpg 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	91662
    David silver is great for parts, I found out the part and part number - Plate spring setting 16066-300-004 - these seem to be hard to come by, as David Silver no longer do them, found them in Germnay for a silly price, might just have to suck it up

*Update*

Started pulling apart the engine, I noticed the case was damaged as I pulled of the starter cover. Hopefully this isn't to hard to fix?!

I also seem to have lost my shop manual, god knows where it could be! As soon as I get another copy sorted I shall be stripping down further.

Name:	IMG_20190803_132111.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	96362

Name:	IMG_20190803_132127.jpg 
Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	96363

Name:	IMG_20190817_182056.jpg 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	96364

Name:	IMG_20190817_182101.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	302.7 KB 
ID:	96365

Name:	IMG_20190817_182104.jpg 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	96366

Nice looking bike / project , like the springers and the headlamp to , should look good on it

Get Adobe Flash player

I am wondering if you had the engine running before you started teardown - got any history on it? What is your idea with your "engine refurb"? Did you do a compression test - that can be helpful diagnostic info as you prepare for the rebuild.

That is a nice rigid frame - looks like an C&G:

Name:	C&G (Corbin and Gentry) rigid fame, original ad.jpg 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	96410

Name:	AEE rigid frame,Honda 750 roller.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	96402
    This is a 'Lowriders by Summers'
    check out their parts section: http://www.lowridersbysummers.com/parts/index.htm

Good lookin' springer.

For that broken section by the starter; was there a tab on it If not, you could just fill it with aluminum putty, as it is not structural; something like this:

Name:	81-KWizYKhL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	96403
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 08-18-2019 at 3:41 PM. Reason: whooops, C&G rigid frame, not AEE

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    I am wondering if you had the engine running before you started teardown - got any history on it? What is your idea with your "engine refurb"? Did you do a compression test - that can be helpful diagnostic info as you prepare for the rebuild.

That is a nice rigid frame - looks like an C&G:

Name:	C&G (Corbin and Gentry) rigid fame, original ad.jpg 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	96410

Name:	AEE rigid frame,Honda 750 roller.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	96402
    This is a 'Lowriders by Summers'
    check out their parts section: http://www.lowridersbysummers.com/parts/index.htm

Good lookin' springer.

For that broken section by the starter; was there a tab on it If not, you could just fill it with aluminum putty, as it is not structural; something like this:

Name:	81-KWizYKhL._SL1500_.jpg 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	96403
    The engine had been sitting for 15+ years, compression was good, but I want to do a full rebuild. I'm treating this a learning exercise and enjoying it very much and I really want to say I built this bike.

In regards to the frame my research has said the same

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post

As far as a duel carb set up ,it has already been completely figured out at Cycle X.
    You just buy it from them.

Name:	customermotor3.jpg 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	97038
    Last edited by Luky; 09-17-2019 at 8:25 AM.

railya

Quote Originally Posted by xriccix View Post
    Still in the process of moving so nothing much has happened, I've slowly been collecting parts and will continue to do so. If only I lived in the states where there are so many at decent prices! Shipping is a killer!

Still looking into girders, tempted t xender discord omegle o leave the front end as is for now then see how it goes. Dual carbs was simply for the looks. reference!

Not planning to do much to the engine itself apart from check its solid and give it a good clean and repaint.

Im currently looking for a coffin tank I like!
    my wife and I are in the middle of moving to be closer to family, this will take a while!
    Last edited by railya; 10-09-2019 at 5:21 PM.

Share This