Heads up, update or patch all your Windows PCs ASAP!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Heads up, update or patch all your Windows PCs ASAP!

Here's why:

Patches for older Windows versions including XP:

If using Windows 7 or 10, run Windows Update.

This stuff is why you backup files you care about to a (finalized after burning) DVD then test your backups. Malware can't write to a finalized DVD. Cloud backups are nice to but if it matters, have a variety of backups. The data many of us save is worth a lot more than our computers.

There's plenty more info on the internet for those interested.

Since you are reading this, do you have copies of ALL your important software? Got a Windows install DVD or USB thumb drive ready to reload a borked system? Computers can die any time. Be ready to restore from "bare metal" and make regular backups of things like CAD files lest ye lose your work.
    Last edited by farmall; 05-13-2017, 2:59 PM.
  • tomsoftail
    • Jul 2014

Once the attacks focus on mobile android iPhone then I'm screwed. I rarely if ever use a computer away from work.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by tomsoftail
      Once the attacks focus on mobile android iPhone then I'm screwed. I rarely if ever use a computer away from work.
      That exploit doesn't work on Android so no problem. It affects unpatched Windows systems.

Comment

• LilBill
        • Jan 2011

throw all that PC crap in the trash where it belongs and get a Mac. problem solved.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Mac malware exists too, and many Windows programs (especially CAD/CAM software) don't run on Mac OS X.

Easy and free way to take advantage of the vastly greater Wintel platform hardware choices is boot Linux for all interactions with the internet and Windows (I prefer Windows virtual machines on a Linux host) for where you must have it. That's how I've rolled for many years. Scattering MacBooks around my houses and shop buildings would get expensive and their user serviceability compared to PC desktops and business class notebooks is poor. No parallel or serial ports can be a disadvantage for many users who need more than an internet terminal. Swappable batteries and versatile docks are a plus for business class PC notebooks.

Otherwise Macs and Chromebooks do the vast majority of what most users need a personal computer to accomplish.

Of course you can run Windows on a Mac and dual boot http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/du...ndows-os-x-mac so there's a solution for every use case.

Comment

• outlawTA
            • Aug 2012

How about my windows phone? Is it at risk?

Comment

• DoomBuggy
              • Oct 2016

Quick word about backing up to Writable CDs and DVDs. Know that they have an estimated shelf life of just over 5 years. I had ~50 disks with photography and video/audio editing work on them, being in IT for over 15 years I was relentless about backing up. Then I had a lightning strike take out my UPS and fry TWO disks in my RAID 5 disk drive, Raid 5 cannot recover from two simultaneous losses. No big deal, I have all the original applications/keys and all these lovely backup disks. Out of all those disks, less the half were still readable.

I talked to two data recovery companies and they both said forget about it, the costs to even try and recover were huge and it was pay up front and we will send you what we are able to recover ( if anything ).

Lesson learned, I now backup on multiple portable drives and do a full system backup at least once a quarter.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Always burn at slowest speed possible for best results, and use quality media. Also periodically test any backups no matter how you back up.

You can buy archival media for longer life. https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Ultr.../dp/B000WTO352

I haven't had a burned backup fail and I've been doing lowest-speed burns since 1999 (where I learned about it burning bootable Linux CDs). Redundant backups are wise.

You can also backup to multiple removable hard disks RAID is redundancy but RAID of course isn't backup.

No writeable media permanently connected to your PC is protection from electrical damage as noted above.

Use the cloud too in case everything you own gets destroyed. It happens more often than most people think.

Professional photographers/videographers need large capacity file stors and tapes (make duplicates, magnetic tape isn't immortal either) suit that use case.

You can back up to hard disks and use versioned backups.

Disaster does strike. Are you ready to go beyond the basics to prepare? Joe Kissell shows how to build a better backup strategy for your data.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                  • Oct 2016

I learned something, didn't ever think about slow speed burns, I will look into that. Lots of good stuff in Farmall's post.

I guess I am a bit older then most and I am not comfortable with the cloud, like I said, getting old! I just have this intense distrust of anything out there in the ether, what happens when a "cloud provider" goes under, or worse yet, when I post something out there, what do I still own and what do they own.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

You can always encrypt if worried about misuse of business-related content.

Also remember some CD/DVD writer drives are shit, and notebook drives are frequently shit. I keep older drives handy for troubleshooting and data rescue since I repair PCs. While I have a good Sony desktop form-factor drive in a USB external case, you can so case any drive you wish.
                    Last edited by farmall; 05-24-2017, 4:13 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;